My first time thread

Aria

I know it's been talked about quite often but let's archive how each of us got into blink.   (No quick answers.  Well, I don't care but that's sort of lame lol...)

I was in the third grade and I stayed home "sick".  I was playing Mario party in my bedroom and my mom came in with NOW 3 as a random get well

gesture.  I put it in and fell in love with track # 3 (What's My Age Again) .  I had never felt that way before...  It was fucking overwhelming.  It was the

first song that ever truly made me realize how powerful music can be.  I fell asleep that night with What's My Age Again on LOOP inside of my

yellow boombox thing.

A few days later my mom and I are in Blockbuster and I pick up "Enema of the state"...  I'm assuming they simply spelt Enemy wrong on purpose in a

cool fashion.  My mom was horrified that her little fucking child wants Enema of the state.   Anyway, she said not a chance.  

About a week later my dad calls me into his office.  I walk in and he hands he a blank CD.  I ask him what it is and he says "I burned you a copy of that

CD your mom wouldn't let you have."  I felt like my father had just given me a million dollars in cash.  I ran to my room, grabbed my CD player (I forgot

those existed till just now as I began typing this) and put my head phones in.  I was in fucking shock.  Every. Single. Song.  Brilliant.  Nothing I could ever

justify THINKING about skipping.  I wondered certain things, like, what does he mean by "She laid me"... 

I was the only Third grader at my tiny Christian school who enjoyed blink over Backstreet boys.  I remember having a conversation with my best friend then, Chris,

where I said a sentence that involved the fuck word and when he asked me why I said that I said "Blink-182" :P

Years and years and years later my opinion on Enema of the state remains the exact same. 

So in short:  Thank you, mom.  Thank you, dad. 

135501_1715455082189_7842742_o.jpg

And that's about the time that I got into blink.

Try to find a picture of you then if you can too!

• Like 3

a friend of mine, who basically introduced me to the whole punk rock world got me interested in blink back in 3rd grade. i was never crazy into music back then, i would casually listen to blink along with linkin park and the now cd's. but he still brought blink into my life, and later bands like taking back sunday, alkaline trio, bayside. i owe a lot to him, and im seeing bayside and alkaline trio with him in may!

but one night, maybe around sophomore/jr year of high school i had randomly got up from bed and listened to reckless abandon on a mixed cd i made previously. my god was i in love. it was literally like a musical revelation. i had listened to buddha and toypaj in my summer camp a lot, but for whatever reason hearing reckless abandon that night just blew my mind. and from there on blink became my obsession 

i stole the All The Small Things standard CD-single (the one with M&M's as the second track) from my older sister when i was in like first or second grade. my mom clearly wouldnt let me buy the full album because of the cover so i just kept getting other CD singles until TOYPAJ came out.

prior to that, i only owned a Presidents of the United States of America album. so i supose blink was my first true introduction to music. once i heard them i HAD to have everything they ever put out. my childhood best friend loved them too since he had older brothers. so it all just felt right i suppose

• Like 1

Thats a great story aria. Can't believe you were that young. That is pretty crazy.

My story is simple. I was in a band with my friend and he suggested listening to "What's my Age again?" so we could play a cover of it.....I love it and my interest just grew from there. This was around Sept 1999.

Here is picture of me from July 2001. The day before my very first Blink show. I still have that Blink shirt somewhere. Also a picture of me now for comparison.blink3-1_zps714350a8.jpg

My parents wouldnt let me get anything unedited.

I had heard Dammit at the campground i went to every summer probably when i was 8 years old and it didnt really hit with me right away. then i was over my friends house and he had Now thats what i call music 4. it had all the small things on it. and i borrowed that cd and literally listened to ATST until the cd would not play any more. my first blink cd that i got was Enema, i had to get it, whether my parents found out i had an unedited cd or not, bought it from a local place that didnt check age for music. and played that shit so loud every day. fall in love with this band more every time i relisten to it.

Well, I used to love Dance and Trance music, right little chav I was till I started playing Tony Hawks and completely fell in love with the music, Lagwagon, Millencolin etc etc so then I got into Linkin' Park, Limp Bizkit (fuck off) and Sum 41. At the time ringtones were really popular and a lot of my mates had the Dammit ringtone because it's a catchy riff. So got interested in them from then on, started to watch their video's on the music channels in the UK, Kerrang etc and I bought Now 42 or whatever it was then, and used to listen to the Rock Show over and over, can even remember what track number it was (10) and then I had TOYPAJ and Enema from my Birthday and bought Dude/Cheshire and the live album which I ordered from Canada a few days later and just completely fell head over heels in love. I was obsessed with them tbh, just used to day dream in class about them and couldn't wait to get home so I could get my mini disc player and head out with my mates. Was magical tbh. 

My family took a trip to Ireland early 2009 and i needed new music to listen to for the long ass journey and to just pass the time. Id heard blink before, the singles obviously, so WMAA, i miss you down etc but i hadnt really explored them past that. so i downloaded a bunch to my mp3 player (i was behind the times) and plugged in for the journey. I must have listened to TM&TS for almost all of the holiday, i loved songs like going away and wendy clear. But i was mostly attracted to the banter they had between songs.

I remember we were visiting the giants causeway and i was listening through TOYPAJ and i managed to break my mp3 trying to skip back to online songs without letting each track load before skipping or some shit. I was distraught that i couldnt listen to any music and my mum had noticed that id only been listening to blink over the holiday so she gave me some money to get the CD's.

I came home with Untitled and TOYPAJ (yellow, minus fuck a dog for some reason). When i got home i attacked youtube watching the making of the untitled album and the urethra chronicles 1/2. 

EDIT: Just put TOYPAJ into my pc to see what actual bonus track it has. Itunes says its what went wrong but plays time to break up... 

For a person with a blink tattoo, I'd have to say I got INTO them pretty late.

One of my first recollections of actually stopping to listen at who they were outside of the singles I had heard was when I stole all of my sisters CDs. One of them, called "The Mark Tom and Travis" show was the only one that was burnt on a purple disc, and it had like 40 fucking tracks on it, so I decided to give it a go. God damn, I absolutely fell in love with them. The banter, the fuck jokes, the dick jokes, all of it. Couldn't get enough of it...

As time rolled by, I saw the music video on TV for 'First Date'. Who the fuck was the creepy guy with the mustache? Why do they look like the BG's? Is this a joke? To my horror, I found out this is what blink-182 looked like. A bunch of creepy dudes, especially the guy with the mustache, who sang about things like first dates. I immediately told my sister how creepy the band I thought was awesome was, to which (In her infinite grade 8 knowledge) told me that I was a retard and that's not what they looked like. My interest grew from there...

Fast forward into grade 8-9, I started to get really into blink. When self-titled got released, I remember reading the booklet. While I wasn't a big fan of all the serious stuff, I still kept blink's music a part of my life. Nothing more than the music, really. Finally, the day that they released their Greatest Hits album, it finally sunk in that their 'indefinite hiatus' was a real thing. They were breaking up. Tom Delonge soon formed Angels and Airwaves, to which I divulged myself in. My music taste began to grow, or as much as a kid in a tiny private Catholic school could. 

Anyways, from then on I immersed myself in everything to do with the band. It was awesome, it was like going through a whole 'behind the scenes' look of the whole thing. While I can't say I was a blink-182 number one fan from the start, things have definitely changed. The music that they lead me to, the forums, the humor, everything about who I am as an individual began with blink-182 becoming a huge part of my life. It's awesome how much they've shaped who we are as people. 

I discovered them in 2004.

I used to watch music channels and then the Feeling This video came.

At this exact moment, i said I need to listen to punk rock music more often.

Then, i became a huge fan of Blink and discovered other great bands : Sum 41, Green Day ....

I was in grade 4.  My brother was in grade 6 and his friend was in grade 7. I remember we were on the school bus going home from school and my brothers friend said listen to this song, I put the headphones on and listen, it was Family Reunion.  I remember them playing The Mark Tom and Travis show when I was around for a little while and I really liked it.  Then a little more after that I bought Enema of the State and would lie on my bed and just listen to it all day. I still wasnt super into them but I really liked them.  I then got Take Off Your Pants and Jacket and loved that too.  Untitled came out when I was in grade 7 and my class went away to some place for a week that was about a 5 hour drive. I remember listening to that cd the whole drive up and then the whole drive down.  Violence and Stockholm Syndrome amazed me.  This whole time all I ever knew and loved of them was their music.  I also remember in the TOYPAJ era, going on their website and watching all of their videos theyd put up from being on tour.  Fast forward to about grade 11, blink have been broken up for a while and I wasnt really into them too much, I somehow re-listned to their cds and I was hooked.  I watched everything about them on youtube, read stuff about them and just loved them.  I loved their image from back in the enema days and Blink is the entire reason I learned to play guitar in grade 11 and they opened my eyes to pop punk and punk music.  They completely made me who am I today and im not ashamed off it.  Theyve influenced they way I act, the way I dress and my absolute love of music most of all.

My older brother listened to blink, Sum 41, Linkin Park and The Offspring constantly from about Dude Ranch days. Eventually I grew up a bit and stopped liking terrible pop music and he got his license, so he could drive me everywhere. He had a bunch of burned CD's with all those bands on which he played in the car and they quickly became my favourite because I thought my brother was super cool so I should listen to the same stuff so girls would think I was cool. He saw them live in 2004 so he started listening to them even more for a few years then he left me with all the CD's when he moved out, which is when I started becoming a huge blink fan. Since then those bands pretty much stayed my favourite 4 bands. So thanks to my brother haha.

Also American Pie 1+2 for sure

i was a kid when ATST hit big, but i remember it getting airplay and being in movies. i specifically remember going to a local baseball game and hearing it being played over the loudspeakers. then i remember hearing first date in the horrible nickelodeon movie clockstoppers and thinking, "wow, that's a really good song."

there was a point where i'm sure i had WMAA and ATST in my library and i constantly used them as part of the soundtrack for movies i'd make as a preteen. my friend introduced me to aliens exist on his ipod my ninth grade year and i started getting into blink - that was late 2008. shortly thereafter travis got in the plane crash and my friend kinda freaked out (he was/is a huge travis fan) and i was watching the grammy's when they walked out. i took most of 2009 to get into their music, downloading whatever individual tracks i could find (this meant i got into obscure stuff like emo alongside feeling this and the hits). by that fall it'd kinda turned into an obsession, which only grew and grew and grew.

nowadays i listen to blink probably every other day. they're the only band i've ever been so heavily invested in. it's weird.

I had heard All the Small Things and First Date in the movie "Clockstopperas" (great movie btw) and always thought they were cool songs, but never knew who played them or anything. In the summer before 4th grade I moved from Houston to Scotland and started school. I had a couple of acquaintances but no real friends, until this new kid came. Me and him pretty much became best friends the same day he got there and hung out every day we could. He had 2 brothers in high school that likes blink, NFG, Good Charlotte, Sum 41, etc. and I thought it was awesome. Really opened my mind to how fucking great music is. I was obsessed with them and begged my mom to drive 45 mins to the nearest HMV to get untitled the day it came out. Listened to that masterpiece all the way home and then called my friend to tell him how many times it cursed lol. After they broke up, I kinda lost interest. I took down my posters and gave away all my shirts. I had a really cool Macbeth one that I've never really seen anywhere else. Anyways, on a road trip in my moms car, I found an old iPod of mine and re-fell in love with blink.

I was in 2nd grade (i was held back with my best friend at the time) and one day i was at his house and he had an older brother that must've showed him bands like Nirvana, Green Day, Korn and yes Limp Bizkit. Out of those bands Green Day stook out to me and then he popped in some cd and the first song on it was Dammit. I was blown away by that song and i knew it was "blink-something" at time...

anyways fast foward a few months from there my older cousin and i were talking about music and he asked me if liked "punk" music and i was like "whats that?" and then he showed me bands like NOFX, Pennywise, Lagwagon and one of those cds was Dude Ranch by blink. Thats when i really knew I loved it. I begged my mom to take me to the store and by that album. I would listen to only Dammit for months. 

But i don't think it was really until Enema and Tony Hawk games when i really got into all that stuff but i guess you can say i was like 7 or 8 years old listening to punk rock. 

So really i mostly just thank my older cousin for getting me into this music.

I had a very sheltered childhood. I didn't get to listen to any music besides oldies, veggie tales, and gospel music til I was about 12 or 13 and my friend gave me burned copies of blink's enema, eminem's show, and system of a down's toxicity.

Cue a music explosion in my life.

I fell in love with enema instantly and went on to listen to good charlotte and simple plan at the time. I found dude ranch at a record store while on vacation in florida with my parents and aunt and uncle. I remember them making fun of me for getting a cd with a song called emo on it. I remember the first time I listened through untitled I hated the album so much. It was so much different I couldn't wrap my head around it.

A year or two later I rediscovered it and now it's the most touching album I've ever heard.

Fast forward a decade and now I have three blink related tattoos and practically ever song recorded by them. They have meant more to my life then a lot of the people that have been in my life.

• Love 1

The first time I heard of them was with All The Small Things. It was the single that made them popular in Europe. Anyways I really liked that song but didn't really get into them as a band. I was 9 or 10 years old..

About two years later I got home from some sort of family celebration earlier then my parents and just wanted to watch some TV. I zapped through the channels and eventually ended up watching the last few minutes of the EMAs 2001. When blinks performance came on I was just completely blown away by how cool they were. I didn't get any of those things that went wrong during the performance I just thought this was the coolest performace I'd ever seen.

From that moment I was super super into them and am until now. I surfed the internet with our 56k modem and started posting in blink boards and stuff. All my friends went through different music styles during our teenage years. Like at one time everyone was into Metalica then some were into Nirvana others into 50cent. I have always been into blink that whole time.

So yeah. That's pretty much the performance that started it all for me.