My first time thread

Aria

I remember hearing What's my age again when it first came on radio and then seeing the music video, i bought the CD at target one time with my mom this was before they put the parental advisory sticker on it. I was pretty blown away by it. I remember when they launched Adam's Song as another single it was never my favorite song off Enema and still isn't to this day.

I also remember getting the Mark Tom and Travis show album and that's where i was introduced to their dude ranch songs, and hearing Carousel for the first time i knew i had to learn how to play bass.

I thought they were an alright band for a long time before I got properly into them, alot of my friends were fans and I always meant to listen to more of their stuff. But I didn't until my friend asked me to learn I Miss You so we could play it together. I listened to it and thought it was so good, so I learned it and then I needed to listen to more songs and I did, and I fell in love.

December 12, 1999 - Dallas, Texas

They were the opening band for Bush.  I had heard them on the radio & liked what I had heard.  I decided to get to the show early to see the opening band (which I never do) and that was it!  The next day, I bought EOTS & Dude Ranch.  Been in love ever since! 

When I was about 10 years old in Primary School (Scottish school thing I think) my friends had the live album after ATST got big on the radio over here, were talking about blink and green day and I (trying to be cool) went out and bought the Rock Show single that had just came out, then bought TOYPAJ with my saved up pocket money, then I got really into them. It was a few months after when International Superhits came out I decided I liked blink a lot more than Green Day mainly to be different because everyone was loving up Green Day again and I was getting more into blink's back catalogue. 

Heard Dammit on the radio, loved it but never figured out the band who played it.

Heard Whats My Age Again on the radio a year or so later, loved it even more and Blink was on my radar.

Heard All the Small Things on the radio on the way back from snowboarding in grade 5, at this point I knew they were something special so I went to the record store and got the album the next day. 

I had heard What's my age again before and liked it, but I didn't know who sang it, the first time I heard the name blink 182 was on mtv's video clash in the summer of 2001 and I watched it every day and rooted for whoever was against Limp Bizkit cause I hated that band. One time the Rock show was up against that awful mission impossible song and I was so happy once blink won! And I really liked the song too, Blink got big at my school that fall and I wasn't sure if I liked them or not since I didn't like things that were cool(buffalo shoes, energy drinks, skateboards, jeans stuff like that), but I found out that they wrote Wmaa so I started liking them and I was so happy when they won best rock at the Ema's and I thought that they fucked up First date was hilarious and it made me feel this wasn't just some rockband playing good or something.

In the end of November 2001 me and my mom went to see American pie 2 and we ate at a chinese restaurant I almost got banned from as a kid so it felt good to be back there without being scared. When everyttime I look for you came on I was so psyched! After the movie we went to the record store and my mom bought an REM record and it was a 2 for 1 price thing so I got to pick a cd out and I found Take off your pants and jacket and I loved it! On the radio back home wmaa was on the radio and it had been a while since I heard it and I was so stoked, that was a good day! After that it was all blink for me,

• Like 1

I remember hearing of Blink-182 back in 1997 when my cousin used to listen to them. I thought they were okay. When I really started getting into them was when I saw the Man Overboard music video on Much Music in 2000.  I remember instantly loving that song and when I saw the commerical for the Mark, Tom and Travis show, I remember I bugged my family to get it for me, which is kind of odd looking back, because it is a sort of weird first album to get.

I even remember being paranoid the day before we went to the mall about it being sold out. I remember getting the album and listening to it every day, thinking it was extremely funny. I even remember around the time I got it Kazaa was released and I used to get live mp3s of them and stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching MTV back in 98 and saw the Dammit music video. Thought it was hilarious and always wondered what that band was. It wasn't until one night while watching MTV in 99 while doing a book report that I remembered it was that band. Bought Enema and it blew me away. I loved every goddamn track on that album and that was rare for at the time (being 12). 

I later got TOYPAJ and it cemented my love for them, then I got Dude Ranch and CC sometime in 2001. I pretty much became obsessed with the band.

• 1 month later...

I got Dude Ranch from a friend before I went on my first long-distance flight - alone. That was.... uh, 1997, or 1998 I guess? I was quite young and scared as hell. So I listened to the whole album over and over while waiting for the departure and it helped me a lot. I still love that album like not so many others.

• Like 1

I remember that I couldn't find a copy of their albums anywhere because they weren't so popular here so I had to download their songs from kazaa. I'm pretty sure that's how I got my first computer virus too.

Haha, I downloaded a few songs and half of them were a Bill Clinton impersonator saying "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" or whatever that shit was.

• Haha 1

There was this "Jyrki Countdown" program (a music chart show) every Sunday that listed 20 most popular songs (as voted by the public) at the moment. It was a half-hour program so only a few of the songs (music videos) were played entirely, the others were only given about 15-second clips. In any case, that late summer 2000 it had both WMAA? & ATST in rotation and the band just instantly struck me (but they never seemed to play the blink songs in full so I only got clips). There was something about their personalities, the band's name (I had bought my first-ever album earlier that summer, Eiffel 65's Europop, so the "number band" thing sounded cool) and the fact that the band had two singers which made the band seem more equal and as such unique compared to all other bands that were behind a single frontman. In any case, the countdown program attracted my attention, so later when I was buying clothes MTV played All The Small Things (or some lengthy clip of it at least) and as soon as I got home, I downloaded ATST, WMAA? & Aliens Exist (I knew of Adam's Song as well but couldn't remember the name). A few days later (this was in September) I went to buy EotS and the rest is history.

I was playing Goldeneye at my buddies on N64 listening to the radio I think in 1998. Dammit came on and I said that song was rad. He told me who they were and played Dude Ranch for me. Fell in love, the next day I recorded Dude Ranch off my friends cd over my Ace of Base cassette tape. The rest was history and go ahead make fun of the fact I used to like Ace of Base lol

• Like 1