My first time thread

Aria

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

first heard What's My Age Again over the intercom at an outdoor pool — I was probably 12 at the time — and the lifeguard told me what band it was...next day I bought Enema, fell in love.

Crazy to think how significant that day at the pool turned out to be: Blink (maybe sadly) has ruled my life since then: led me to playing the guitar guitar, playing in bands, influenced my style, taste of music, led me to my first girlfriends, trips to California, etc. Fuckin' crazy. Thanks, Blink. 

• Like 1

first heard What's My Age Again over the intercom at an outdoor pool — I was probably 12 at the time — and the lifeguard told me what band it was...next day I bought Enema, fell in love.

Crazy to think how significant that day at the pool turned out to be: Blink (maybe sadly) has ruled my life since then: led me to playing the guitar guitar, playing in bands, influenced my style, taste of music, led me to my first girlfriends, trips to California, etc. Fuckin' crazy. Thanks, Blink. 

Crazy to think how similar this is to my experience. No band has ever had this much on an affect on my life as blink-182 has.

• Like 1

I was in high shcool. Probably, circa 1999-2000... really near to start the university. Somehow, my sister got a cassette with a very weird mix of songs recorded from the radios -yeah, kids, we did it back in time, hahaha-. Obviously, back in the day, cassetes didn't have ID Tags, and plus: who gave that to my sister, didn't put the song names on it. So it kinda was like a game to try to find who the hell was singing or performig those songs. Amongst a lot of different styles, there was a song I liked a lot. It was fresh, loud and cathy. Yeah, it was "All The Small Things".

How did I know it? Because I was lucky enough and the person who recorded the songs, just caught the speaker saying "blink-182 from San Diego!" (in spanish) at the end of the song. So I had the title and the band!!. Later on, I saw the video on a local TV chanel here in Spain. Amazing.

At that time, it was very hard to find those kind of CDs, and I was a total newbie on the record store and record buying world. To say it simple I didn't know where the fuck could I go to try to find "weird" albums, those which weren't at the big stores here.

Maybe because I was very into rock 'n' roll -Elvis, Beach Boys, Beatles, as I said in other threads-, I just passed it. But hey, I do believe in destiny. Two years later, a friend of mine gave me another cassette, recorded from songs taken on the internet, burned into a CD and them, passed to a cassette. On that mix, which had a proper tracklist (oh yeah!), he included "The Rock Show", amongst other bands as Limp Bizkit, Green Day, Linkin Park... and that thing made a click on me. Then was a little easier. So I discovered that in my town existed a little shop where you can rent music CDS!!!! And guess what. There were "The Mark, Tom and Travis Show" and "Take Off Your Pants and Jacket". I was able to rent TOYPAJ and get a copy through a work mate of my father. Crazy, I couldn't burn CDs at that time. We are talking about the period between 2000 and 2002 or so.

Later on, my sister, who knew how I was getting into blink and other bands, asked a friend of her to get some albums. I remember she gave me a copy of TMTATS downloaded from Internet on Christmas, hahahaha. I really apreciate it due to the effort she did: she asked to a friend, she provided the titles and they both did it. In fact, I still own that CD, very proudly. Remember, it was the time when finding a whole album on the net was hard as hell. You just wento into Kazaa (or similar) to grab the record song by song, and in different qualities so... it was crazy.

Later on, I got internet at home, and everything changed. Not only because I was able to download music, but mainly -and the most important- because I was able to BUY the real records and locate them in stores in Spain (or not).

So I guess I discovered them with ATST, but I don't really got into them until I got my TOYPAJ copy.

I'll try to find a picture of that period.

P.S: awesome thread!

• Like 1

You just wento into Kazaa (or similar) to grab the record song by song, and in different qualities so... it was crazy.

Haha wow I remember having to do this all the time. I first downloaded blink's Untitled record this way. I got the clean version of Here's Your Letter without knowing it, and I never knew it was clean until I eventually went out to buy the real CD and heard Mark say "fuck" in the chorus. It caught me off guard. haha.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think I was like 9 and my daycare providers' son put on Dude Ranch to hear all the swear words and the dog drinking out of the toilet at the end of I'm Sorry (underrated song). Then a few years later I heard WMAA and ATST and thought they were fun. To be honest I liked older bands growing up. The 2000's weren't amazing musically speaking. Anyways I casually enjoyed burnt copies of EotS and TOYPAJ on and off but never was a super fan or anything (loved Reckless Abandon, however).

And then one summer, I heard Feeling This.