My first time thread

Aria

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

My brother was forcing my parents to play Eminem and D12. Me and my parents got really frustrated, so he put on the mark tom and travis show. I was sold instantly.

A few years later i started liking Eminem too. Guess i didn't understand the context at that age

• 2 weeks later...

I was 11 or so, it was Christmas and one of my presents that year was International Superhits, by Green Day. I guess you could say this is how I got into pop punk (or punk rock, I prefer to call it this way).

American Pie was like a forbidden film to me at that age haha but I managed to watch it before I got into high school and I loved the soundtrack so I waited until the credits came out and I wrote down every band that appeared on the movie (there was no Internet at my house, okay? :-\). Later I went to a record store and searched for some of the bands in my list. I found Blink and I bought Enema, mostly because it had Mutt on it (and that was one the songs I wrote down from the American Pie credits). I fell in love with ATST, Wendy Clear and Adam's song, but I loved the whole album. A year later or so TOYPAJ came out and of course, I bought it and, of course, I loved it. I bought Dude Ranch after that, but it never really grew on me like the rest of the albums (except for a few songs)

I bought Untitled the same day it came out, and I remember being in my room, sitting on the floor, surrounded by my cd collection and listening to Feeling this thinking 'OMG they did it again'. I really loved it, and I was a teenager so I thought I miss you had a dark vibe that matched my emo life back then haha.

Well, I guess you could say that American Pie got me into blink 182! (and I am definitely not the only one!)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It was the summer of 2009, early that year i discovered green day and sum41....started checking out blink but i couldn't stand toms voice....but it really grew on me...i liked enema and toypaj but could not get into Self-titled,,,

it was during my first year at high school, got my first GF,first kiss, became friends with girls instead of just boys, first time smoking a joint...wich felt like a crime at the time.....got really into blink that summer. it was a great summer for me. 

i remember watching mtv road to home, the making of selftitled and all that stuff....fell in love with the personalities, the humor...

i only saw them in 2014 and it was awesome, inked the smiley on my leg in 2012

• Like 1

1999. I was 12, in my first year of secondary school in a mundane, nondescript southern town in England. The age where you start discovering music, movies and interests for yourself. I remember seeing the music video for All the Small Things on one of those early morning Saturday tv shows, for those of you in the UK of a certain age that remember-SMTV/Live and kicking or something like that. I just remember being floored by the sound and the video of these energetic, tattooed guys running around sunny California and making fun of the boybands my sister liked, it seemed a million miles away from the dull english suburbia that I was living in. I do remember thinking Travis was the coolest looking dude i'd ever seen.  

All the Small Things was the first record I ever bought with my own money. I remember buying the cd single from Virgin Music store as it was then and bringing it home, listening to it on my portable cd player. I had the headphones jammed in so my parents couldn't hear as I was waiting for the language that mandated it had a parental advisory sticker. (It was in a live version of Dammit when Tom shouts 'Fucked her' extra loud!). I just remember listening to that cd for months and months. I was the only one of my friends that liked them and got some stick for being a fan, but I didn't care, i had never heard a band that just spoke to me in the same way and presented this sunny, optimistic and inspirational vision of living young in America. My parents got me the Enema of the State album for my 13th Birthday, and I had it on repeat for years, possibly my most listened to album of all time. I remember buying TOYPAJ with a 20 Franc note that I found on the ground on holiday in France haha.

As I got older I started to drift away from Blink and I got more into hip hop music and other guitar acts. I still listened to them but not as religiously as I did when I was in my early to mid teen years and all the drama with the hiatus/break up and stuff, I just couldn't be bothered to deal with it all.

As I approach 30 I've found myself reconnecting more with films and music from my youth, in an effort to try and relive those carefree days I guess, this has coincided with Blink reforming and releasing California and I've fallen back in love with their stuff. Although my music tastes incorporate a whole range of music from hip hop, rock to folk, Blink remain my first love. As a teacher it's funny to see kids in my class discovering this band at the same age I was all those years ago.      

Sorry for the long read, I realise I've rambled a bit there more than I intended and hope you don't mind me indulging in a few memories. 

• Like 3

I remember walking to Woolworths to buy the CD singles whenever they were released for like £1.99. Do they even make CD singles anymore? I have all from Dammit - Always. Loved the additional live tracks and demos you'd get!

• 1 month later...

Greetings!  I first heard Blink in the movie Can't Hardly Wait in 1998.  Then again in Idle Hands & American Pie the following year.  By 2000 I was in my own high school punk band & we started playing some Blink covers along side our originals.  Despite everyone's different musical tastes, Blink was always the one band everyone could agree on.  By the end of 2001 I owned the whole Blink catalog.  Even after our band split, we met up to attend the 2009 Blink Reunion Tour.  Now we're in our early 30's & we still call each other to discuss Blink any time new material is released.  Some things never change.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I first got into blink around 2014 just listening to the songs I knew the best (Dammit, All The Small Things, etc.). By the following year, I had been a pretty avid listener, having most of their post Enema material under my belt. In 2015, I started to get heavily into the pre-Enema material, getting familar with the rest of Dude Ranch, all of Cheshire Cat, Buddha, and eventually searching for Flyswatter and Demo #2. As time went by, I had always stayed with them when California came out last year. I almost got to see them on a one off in New Jersey during the tour, but the show got cancelled because of the impending hurricane (which never showed up and the show never got rescheduled). My favorite album is Dude Ranch and my favorite song of all time is A New Hope.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

2004: Listened to All The Small Things on my GTA Vice City custom radio station. I don't even know who told me the song title or how I obtained the mix disc.

2009: High School freshman, got hella into Cheshire, Dude Ranch, Enema, TOYPAJ, self titled. First real dive into blink.

2011: Music taste changed and I hated blink, but enjoyed Up All Night single

2015: Totally out of touch with blink. College junior, drunkenly decide to see what the boys have been up to. Check out Dogs Eating Dogs and Neighborhoods. Fall back in love. Here I am.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Ziploc Goldfish said:

I guess this is a good place to introduce myself. My name is Jess and I've been a Blink 182 fan since probably 2012. The girl I shared a dorm with freshman year was really into them and used to listen to them all the time and I got hooked too

Hi Speedo.

• Haha 2