Rediscovered BCR.

decisions

Wow, every few months or so I go back to this album and realize just how amazing it is instrumentally and lyrically. It's on another level. Everything is as cohesive as standard rock songs, but they're rivetingly experimental at the same time.

+44 and BCR are arguably better than any Blink record. Imagine if they were able to mesh those two styles well...That is what the definitive Blink record will be, if it ever happens.

• Like 1

BCR would be so much better if Mark sang on more songs, it's hard to have a whole album of Tom especially with his 2002 voice lol

I think +44 is pretty average when compared to blink or BCR, mainly because I don't like guitar parts that Mark writes or the way he records them. Neither of the bands are anywhere near as good as any blink record though, same with AVA. They are right that they write their best music as a trio in a room together

Also I find the instrumental as the last track really weird. It kinda just sounds like a song that should have vocals but they took the vocal track out, and it just doesn't seem like an end of the album track at all

I rediscovered BCR too a few years back. Since then I've listened through the album a lot more than I did in the ten or so years before that. The album really has only one weak song (Sorrow). 

I also don't think it's a coincidence that Tom started sounding like shit live shortly after BCR. He really strains his vocals on the album to the extreme.

While all three albums are perfect to me, BCR and +44 seem more focused to me lyrically. They also seem a touch more atmospheric. WYHSB is the one of the very few albums I can really say "takes me  away to a different place". And no song on S/T really gets to me like Letters to God does...that song is special, I think.

• Like 1

Lyrically I think WYHSB beats the crap out of both the untitled and BCR. But in general I think the untitled is the best, I've definitely listened to it a hell of a lot more and it's the album that really got me into blink. 

And BCR and WYHSB are definitely more cohesive and thematic, BCR especially. 

I rediscovered BCR too a few years back. Since then I've listened through the album a lot more than I did in the ten or so years before that. The album really has only one weak song (Sorrow). 

I also don't think it's a coincidence that Tom started sounding like shit live shortly after BCR. He really strains his vocals on the album to the extreme.

I think it's funny you saw Sorrow is a weak song.  I love that song, it's great.  BCR's only weak song to me is Tiny Voices, sometimes I skip that one, but I don't really skip anything else on the album.

it still blows my mind this record was written, recorded, and released in a 2 month window when he was taking a break cause of his back surgery. his grandmother had just passed and he was taking pain killers for his recovery. it was just tom and he crushed it and in only TWO MONTHS TOTAL.

this record will be timeless for me. 

• Like 3