Rediscovered BCR.

decisions

11 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

I always loved the lyrics from Watch the World. The only thing I don't like was the soap opera thing. Like where the hell does that come from? But everything else lyrically in that song is brilliant IMO.

I mean.. really? the first verse is the only at least sensible lyric in it. the chorus is very clunky and the second verse is full of random dumb shit. I love the song to bits, but like many of the songs on the album, it's mostly random sentences that Tom probably thought 'sounded' good more than had any meaning, just like The Wolfpack and so many others of his where he's just spouting gibberish. 

1 hour ago, Kay said:

I mean.. really? the first verse is the only at least sensible lyric in it. the chorus is very clunky and the second verse is full of random dumb shit. I love the song to bits, but like many of the songs on the album, it's mostly random sentences that Tom probably thought 'sounded' good more than had any meaning, just like The Wolfpack and so many others of his where he's just spouting gibberish. 

I think the reason I like them is that it's a lot more deep than AVA lyrics which is mostly just nonsense to me. I dunno, always been a fan of the lyrics on that song, especially the last verse. Although could argue the second verse is very AVA-ish about curing cancer, disposing of hunger or whatever. But I feel it's done right unlike majority of AVA lyrics.

Boxcar Racer is kinda weak when it comes to lyrics but I feel Watch the World is one of the stronger ones. Always found the lyrics of I Feel So a bit stupid but that's cause all I can picture when reading it is some angry kid screaming out the lyrics.

i always liked  " I saw this field, that grew perfection Full of things you do "

but I agree. most of the lyrics on the album are wierd and senseless as fuck.

even though AvA has a lot of shit lyrics, i think most people disliking them just don't like positive lyrics in general and only like miserable and depressed lyrics

11 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I think the reason I like them is that it's a lot more deep than AVA lyrics which is mostly just nonsense to me. I dunno, always been a fan of the lyrics on that song, especially the last verse. Although could argue the second verse is very AVA-ish about curing cancer, disposing of hunger or whatever. But I feel it's done right unlike majority of AVA lyrics.

Boxcar Racer is kinda weak when it comes to lyrics but I feel Watch the World is one of the stronger ones. Always found the lyrics of I Feel So a bit stupid but that's cause all I can picture when reading it is some angry kid screaming out the lyrics.

Tbf I think 99% of AVA lyrics are horse shite and only listen to Dream Walker onwards - I think with BCR because I *adored* it when it came out and I was too young to give a crap about lyrics never thought too hard about them and then a couple of years ago on a relisten I was like "...this is...really fucking stupid" I still enjoy the album and love it, but the lyrical weakness is more pronounced to me almost because I love the music so much, if that makes sense? AVA having dumb lyrics doesn't matter to me because I already knew that - Tom wrote like a jackass for most of their stuff, but with BCR it's like "aw man, why'd you have to do that?" lol 

I Feel So I actually don't mind so much because at least it's coherent? and while it is a little juvenile to have those sort of aggressive screamy choruses I can still identify with it as an adult. I mean "I feel so weak, so used, unfaithful" isn't inherently childish, just depends how we perceive it. I've always liked the simplicity of that song for it's "the world is crap and I wish I could change it, or change myself" message. it's something I imagine most can emphasise with. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kay said:

Tbf I think 99% of AVA lyrics are horse shite and only listen to Dream Walker onwards - I think with BCR because I *adored* it when it came out and I was too young to give a crap about lyrics never thought too hard about them and then a couple of years ago on a relisten I was like "...this is...really fucking stupid" I still enjoy the album and love it, but the lyrical weakness is more pronounced to me almost because I love the music so much, if that makes sense? AVA having dumb lyrics doesn't matter to me because I already knew that - Tom wrote like a jackass for most of their stuff, but with BCR it's like "aw man, why'd you have to do that?" lol 

I Feel So I actually don't mind so much because at least it's coherent? and while it is a little juvenile to have those sort of aggressive screamy choruses I can still identify with it as an adult. I mean "I feel so weak, so used, unfaithful" isn't inherently childish, just depends how we perceive it. I've always liked the simplicity of that song for it's "the world is crap and I wish I could change it, or change myself" message. it's something I imagine most can emphasise with. 

I think with a lot of it, the lyrics sound good when singing it, but when reading it they look a little bit stupid at times too. I feel the same about I Feel So. When listening to it, it's fine but reading it is completely different.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Nasa said:

I like BCR, but I almost never give a shit about lyrics. Maybe they would matter to me more if I were a songwriter, but they don't have to be good or make sense to me to enjoy a song.

I don't think it's just a 'songwriter' thing, I know a lot of non musicians who care about lyrics, it just depends what you like music for I guess. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Kay said:

I don't think it's just a 'songwriter' thing, I know a lot of non musicians who care about lyrics, it just depends what you like music for I guess. 

Lyrics only matter to me if I'm listening to hip hop or an artist like Bob Dylan. Otherwise I don't mind as long as I like the sounds that I'm hearing. Different strokes for different folks though!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...