To those who like AVA

theedge00

i like the vocal melodies the most, and some of the guitar riffs. part of the lyrics are also good (if you can relate to them). but overall this project is not that good. i like most of the songs, but i can't say that any of these songs are perfect or can't be better... when i listen to them my thoughts often drift unintentionally into "this part should be used in blink".

Finally a hard core Blink 182 fan wants to understand the AVA obsession?? Good for you...even if you don't agree at least you have an open mind enough to try and understand the mind set. I've been reading these boards for years and if I had to say the biggest draw back I have seen in a lot the hard core blink fans is it seems as though they feel like AVA is some how sac religious to blink and if you do like them then you are somehow selling out...but I digress. 

I Love AVA because as chezzy as it sounds I really feel the music is very positive, uplifting and in many ways at least for me spiritual. I actually think the majority of AVA fans would tell you something similar. I have searched and search and cannot seem to find another band that gives me that feeling on a regular basis. The music specifically the Adventure has made a profound positive difference in my life. Just a little background I'm a pretty successful young business man just fyi and the music gives me motivation daily. 

I actually agree with a lot of what you all say about Tom though. His boastful statements can often be ridiculous. He exaggerates all the time. Never ever pay attention to any timeline he gives and yes his outer space craziness is often just silly. That being said there really are some truths to what he seems to stand for in AVA and some of the other concepts he throws around and I think that is something else I'm drawn to. 

I will admit I'm very biased and so my opinion is somewhat skewed. However, I actually do think this album will be the most successful AVA album and because of that the band will acquire a mid-level status of popularity. There are way to many pieces of the puzzle that are starting to fall in place for this album. They took 2 years to make it. Every single member of the band is different....even the producers. Tom is trying not to repeat the same mistakes as with previous albums. He publicly humbled himself for making the same mistakes. He has a younger guy who is more in tuned with what is popular working with him. He has been less boisterous which typically means with successful people that they have something good. And most importantly he has someone who will tell him NO. All of those things seem like recipe for success. 

I'll keep watching these boards. It's funny because my ultimate judgement of how good "The Dream Walker" will come across will be to see ya'lls opinions on it. Most of you guys are so critical of the guys and so If 1/2 of you say its  "ok" then that to me means its a damb good album! 

Give it a shot guys. If its shit I'll be the first one to admit it and will be rooting for a Blink 182 only Tom from then on. If this AVA record isn't "It" for them then I think it will be time to move on to Blink 182 only. Just my two cents. 

By the way my second favorite band is Blink ;)

even after reading these posts i still don't understand it. AVA lyrics are laughable because aside from a few songs, Tom's lyrics for this band are horribly ambiguous and are usually about trees or stars. there are plenty of "positive" and "big" sounding bands out there who actually sing about real things. you just have to use the internet to find them.

i try to get it. i really do. but, everything that sets this band apart from the rest are negative characteristics IMO.

Just ignore a lot of the lyrics and get lost in the music. Listen to the whole meaning of the song and not just the singular words. Ive never listened to music thinking o these are dumb lyrics. AVA is one of the few bands that really speak to me. Im usually not one to talk like this as it all sounds like bullshit to me but this band is just something special. I-Empire front to back is such a good journey of a listen

Just ignore a lot of the lyrics and get lost in the music. Listen to the whole meaning of the song and not just the singular words. Ive never listened to music thinking o these are dumb lyrics. AVA is one of the few bands that really speak to me. Im usually not one to talk like this as it all sounds like bullshit to me but this band is just something special. I-Empire front to back is such a good journey of a listen

you have to admit that it does sound weirdly cult-like to people who aren't into any of it

I love AVA but I really miss We Don't Need To Whisper era AVA. Reading this thread made me remember how the first concert I ever went to was Angels & Airwaves back when their first album was brand new. Such a good memory I had almost forgotten about. That album is by far my favorite of theirs and despite Tom's BS about God writing the record and the second coming of Christ and all that it was actually a lot easier to take this band seriously back then, before all the LOVE and Dream Walker crap that just seems like more of a tangent or distraction than anything. Back then when WDNTW was new it actually seemed like Tom might have been on to something big with this band and their "message." At least that's what it seemed like to me. Now I think mostly everything Tom says is stupid but I'm still excited to hear the new songs. I just miss the WDNTW period. That album, and the other random songs that sound like they could be from that album (True Love, Heaven, etc...) are my favorite of what AVA has to offer. That version of AVA had a distinct and unique sound when compared to blink-182. Someone pointed out recently that new AVA and post-reunion blink sound the same and for the most part I agree. I liked it better when the two bands were very different. The fact that both bands are starting to sound like each other makes both of the bands worse in my opinion.

Lyrically I think they're horrible.

Instrumentally I really like them - they really strived to be a good mix between post-rock and synth-rock, and while they aren't the best at it I appreciate the fact that it's Tom Delonge trying to do it - a musician whose only played powerchords and pop-punk for most of his career. It opened me up to a lot of good ambient, synth-rock, and post-rock bands and so I credit them for developing my music tastes - even if it wasn't necessarily their band that did so.