To those who like AVA

theedge00

• 1 year later...
On October 20, 2014 at 7:31 AM, theedge00 said:

What attracts them to you? Their lyrics? Melodies? Something else??

(Im genuinely curious)

The first record is just beautiful, simple pop songwriting, with an anthemic/experimental edge. It's some of the absolute catchiest music I've ever heard in my life. Not a single song is overthought or needlessly complex. Really powerful stuff.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2014 at 4:45 PM, knapton said:

I find they just make you feel good. Put on a song like heaven and close your eyes and get lost. The best part about music

This.  I love the vibes and the space the music creates. Tom does do some weird stuff but I think it's honest to him.  I love songs like anxiety.  When I heard that for the first time it was in the theater after the love film.  Which I also enjoyed

I got into Box Car before I got into blink, so Tom's always sort of written the soundtracks to my life.  AVA came out right when I was dealing with a lot of college heartbreak and turnover in my life.  AVA helped me cope with my divorce years later.  The lyrics have never been amazing at all, but just having this familiar guy from my past singing about these abstract things has helped me through so many ups and downs.  It's not for everyone, and I'm okay with that.  It's more like a comfort thing.  

I feel like I relate to Tom more than Mark in many ways, personality wise, so I've always felt the impact of his music more than +44 or many of Mark's solo tunes.  

I actually used to be into AVA when WDNTW and Empire came out. I can appreciate their later efforts as well.

But when you compare it to U2 (i.e. the band Tom tried to mould AVA after), it all sounds sooo empty. I mean lyrically, guitar wise, vocally...

Looking back on Whisper, it's actually a nice concept record (Love/War theme), and Tom still had his normal voice.

I think if Tom only made Whisper, the whole idea of the AVA project would be way more special, kinda like BCR (not comparing quality of songs, but uniqueness). They are at two extremes of the spectrum in terms of instrumentation, themes and musicality overall.

Ok, time for some Blink fan fiction:

2005 - Tom leaves Blink.

2006/2007 - He releases WDNTW, tours, and gets all the synth stuff out of his system.

2008/2009 - Blink reunites and they do the reunion tour.

2010 - Tom fully commits, uses his experiences from the AVA project to create Untitled Pt2 (just like he used BCR experiences to drive Untitled).

2010 - Album recording process: They go to England and write/record Untitled Pt2 in a castle! Yes a castle!

U2 recorded in Slane Castle (Ireland), but I think Mark would prefer England.

So yeah ;D.

I listened to We Don't Need to Whisper yesterday. 

The songs are actually pretty well written at times and I like some of the instrumentation a lot and Tom's vocals are pretty cool on that album too. The lyrics are god awful though. Cringe all the way.

Also, I discovered Pretty Little Girl is basically a re-write of Do It for Me Now. A great re-write though, PLG is way better, so I'll just forget DIFMN exists.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 2:59 PM, theedge00 said:

I actually used to be into AVA when WDNTW and Empire came out. I can appreciate their later efforts as well.

Looking back on Whisper, it's actually a nice concept record (Love/War theme), and Tom still had his normal voice.

I think if Tom only made Whisper, the whole idea of the AVA project would be way more special, kinda like BCR (not comparing quality of songs, but uniqueness). They are at two extremes of the spectrum in terms of instrumentation, themes and musicality overall.

One album would have been ideal. The best songs of the first two albums combined into one would have been epic!

I almost feel like it was Tom's intention to only do two albums as the last song on I-Empire "Heaven" begins and ends with the first song from WDNTW "Valkyrie Missile". I love when albums do that, let alone two!

• 1 month later...

I tried listening to Love Pt 1 and 2 the other day for the first time in a very long time. At first, I was enjoying it. But it got so boring and repetitive by the end. I listened to the albums back-to-back and it was really hard sitting through Love Pt 2.

I really like WDNTW and I-Empire a lot still. I hardly listen to them anymore, but I like them. The Dream Walker and the recent EPs aren't bad either. The Love albums are rough though. Hard to enjoy them.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...
On 10/20/2014 at 10:31 AM, theedge00 said:

What attracts them to you? Their lyrics? Melodies? Something else??

(Im genuinely curious)

how amazing it al sounds, next level music

their first album was a heck of a moment musicaly wise 

when u would hear for first times that adventure riff it had that anthem part 2 type of riff style but with those add odd tones notes that made it next level and spooky 

u felt like u were climbing a roller coaster slowly with tom

especialyif u knew the whole situation behind how that album came about

very unique style over all and sound textures

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, GoodChats_OnTeamGhent said:

how amazing it al sounds, next level music

their first album was a heck of a moment musicaly wise 

when u would hear for first times that adventure riff it had that anthem part 2 type of riff style but with those add odd tones notes that made it next level and spooky 

u felt like u were climbing a roller coaster slowly with tom

especialyif u knew the whole situation behind how that album came about

very unique style over all and sound textures

GoodChats is an AVA stan. Didn't see that coming.

• Wow 1

I remember being a teenager and going to buy WDNTW at hot topic the day it came out. It was a venture outside of punk music for me which ended up being a really good thing for me musically. 

I felt like WDNTW and I-Empire were really creative albums. When AVA songs hit, they really hit hard. When they fall flat, they really fall flat. The Love albums made great scores for the movie. But IMHO those musical motifs should stayed as a original score rather than being commercially packaged songs with lyrics and everything. There were a few cools songs on those albums. 

I also really like everything on The Dream Walker and most of Timebomb. Chasing Shadows and ....Of Nightmares are awesome too. So really everything except for the Love alubms. They're kind of different but very underrated IMO.

Yeah, its just different. I like that Tom did it when he wasn't doing blink. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...