Alkaline Trio

Majestic McMoose

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Yeah, but well... it's a good nostalgia exercise, hahaha.

I don't know them, @Kay. Gotta check them out though!

Check out 'Dark Black Makeup' it's a great example and there's a video for it.

16 hours ago, Ghost said:

Is he the 'chocolate rain' kid?

Bloody amazing. Yep, he sounds like Danzig.

Lol no I don't think so, way too young. the band is a bunch of brothers, fairly recent. they're all teenagers. the album that song is from is surprisingly good. 

• 4 months later...

Interesting article:

https://www.altpress.com/features/entry/alkaline_trio_biggest_moments_career_history

There's lot of interesting stuff on there, but this quote caught my attention. How cool is that?

Skiba says Finn even flew to Chicago to work with them and mixed From Here To Infirmary free of charge.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So I've been listening to the "Past Live" Box Set this two days and I have mixed feelings about it all. The idea is amazing: their entire catalog recorded live (well, with some exceptions like some b sides and the Remains songs). That, per se, is really cool, but man... their performances are not as good as I expected. There are TONS of proformances out there that are much better than this ones.

The band sounds good and thick instrumentally speakin, but Matt's performances here annoys me like hell. As I suspected, the Past Live tour happened when Skiba had that weird period in where he didn't sustain the tones at the end of the verses. I don't remember if he was recovering from another throat treatment or what. He sounds just tyred, with no punch and, moreover, like yelling on lots of high parts. "Sadie" has some parts that I just hate here, and that's one of my favourite AK3 songs. Also, I'm still figuring out what the hell happened on the beginnig of "Fall Victim". But also, Dan sounds like he's been exorcized on "in Vein", aonther favourite been destroyed here -luckily enough, he's basically 99% spot on, except for that song and maybe other smaller details-.

I don't know. I think it was all about fatigue and recovering from throat troubles, colds and shit, at least in Skiba's case. But the problem is that this will be there, recorded, forever. And, moreover, as a milestone on their 20th anniversary. On the other side, well... is not that bad, as long as it sounds as if those shows were just transferred from the soundboard to the CDs without touching anything on the studio (which is cool), but, I mean, even the Live in Las Vegas that came out as a bonus DVD on This Addiction is way better. Even the official bootlegs offered on the Blood Pact are more powerful.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ghost said:

So I've been listening to the "Past Live" Box Set this two days and I have mixed feelings about it all. The idea is amazing: their entire catalog recorded live (well, with some exceptions like some b sides and the Remains songs). That, per se, is really cool, but man... their performances are not as good as I expected. There are TONS of proformances out there that are much better than this ones.

The band sounds good and thick instrumentally speakin, but Matt's performances here annoys me like hell. As I suspected, the Past Live tour happened when Skiba had that weird period in where he didn't sustain the tones at the end of the verses. I don't remember if he was recovering from another throat treatment or what. He sounds just tyred, with no punch and, moreover, like yelling on lots of high parts. "Sadie" has some parts that I just hate here, and that's one of my favourite AK3 songs. Also, I'm still figuring out what the hell happened on the beginnig of "Fall Victim". But also, Dan sounds like he's been exorcized on "in Vein", aonther favourite been destroyed here -luckily enough, he's basically 99% spot on, except for that song and maybe other smaller details-.

I don't know. I think it was all about fatigue and recovering from throat troubles, colds and shit, at least in Skiba's case. But the problem is that this will be there, recorded, forever. And, moreover, as a milestone on their 20th anniversary. On the other side, well... is not that bad, as long as it sounds as if those shows were just transferred from the soundboard to the CDs without touching anything on the studio (which is cool), but, I mean, even the Live in Las Vegas that came out as a bonus DVD on This Addiction is way better. Even the official bootlegs offered on the Blood Pact are more powerful.

I haven't had a chance to hear them all yet, im currently on Continental, on Good Mourning and despite Matt sounding a little bored it mostly sounds great. Really tight. But I have heard a lot of complaints, so my opinion may be different with the rest of this record and the others.

Overall is good, but I just can't stand that hing Matt does in the end of every single verse on every single song.Annoying as fuck, hahaha. And it's frustrating because, sometimes, he sustains the tone 'til the end of the verse.

Yeah Good Mourning was mostly okay, although Matt started to sing super lazily towards the end. I started From Here To Infirmary and it was much worse so now I'm not so sure. 

2 hours ago, Kay said:

Yeah Good Mourning was mostly okay, although Matt started to sing super lazily towards the end. I started From Here To Infirmary and it was much worse so now I'm not so sure. 

Yeah, Good Mourning is, probably, the best performance, amongs some concrete songs.

• Like 1