Alkaline Trio

Majestic McMoose

Since Skiba is going to be performing with Blink and potentially replacing Tom, where's  good starting point to get an idea of what he could bring to the table?

I listened to damnesia last night but because I've never listened to them before, I'm not sure what's considered the good or bad albums or whether anything isn't "classic alkaline trio". 

• Like 1

Two of my many favorites:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqdVYqZ3nY

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V0l_PLQ448

I dunno how I never considered him as Tom's replacement, even though people had suggested as much in the past, but seriously, not only does Skiba make a ton of sense to me, but I think he would sound really good as a compliment to Mark's voice.

Any full album suggestions? 

The impression I've got from what I've heard (including those you've linked) is that if he was to join blink in the studio, we'd have less catchy riffs in the songs but vocally he'd do well with mark

I think you're focusing to much on who Alkaline Trio is here.  They have a certain style, its kinda hard to explain, but they don't so much pursue the catchy riffs in Alkaline Trio, however, if asked to, I almost guarantee Skiba can come up with some real catchy riffs, he'll probably be able to separate Alkaline Trio mode and blink mode.

• Like 1

Goddammit!: Raw-er, but still filled with hooks and probably the band's scrappiest output. Solid, solid, solid release. Their best album in my opinion.

Maybe I'll Catch Fire: Also a very, very solid release. It's a bit slower, more reserved, and moodier. Quality record with the staples Radio and Fuck You Aurora.

From Here To Infirmary: Good, but not great. Contains some of their best work but also shares their less distinct songs. Try Private Eye, Stupid Kid and Another Innocent Girl.

Good Mourning: Maybe their second best record. Starts super strong and grows with repeat listens. Check out We've Had Enough and This Could Be Love.

Crimson: Side-A is brilliant. Side-B not so much. Bigger ideas throughout though.

Agony & Irony: Some good stuff here, but nothing more. Check out Calling All Skeletons, Over and Out, and Help Me.

This Addiction: A return to form except not as good as their early work. The first single was alright though.

My Shame Is True: Couldn't get into it. My least favorite of theirs. Just bland.

I love My Shame Is True, and most of their records.

Truth is, Alkaline Trio is one of those amazing bands that have tons of good releases, various styles that all differ from each other while still feeling genuine. Start with Goddammit, best lyrics I've ever seen. Every line just makes you stop and appreciate the sadness, love, or cleverness being presented.

And this band has tons of catchy riffs. Anything post-MICF really.

• Like 1

I made an aleborate post somewhere when antother member asked for, if memory serves me right. But I think Kyle pointed out some interesting clues about their discography.

I should do my onw abstract. Do straight to ths three depending on your mood (I put them in chronological order):

- Goddamnit

- Crimson

- Good Mourning (this is absolutely brilliant)

Then you'll ask for more........

He's been a heavy drinker since I can remember. Kind of worried about him for a while. Wasn't he joking he was playing for heroin or something? He has a very dark sense of humor. I remember reading he was a priest in the church of satan. Seems like he knows how to have a good time.