Alkaline Trio

Majestic McMoose

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Well, isn't "I Can't Believe" some kind of re-make of "Lonely and Kold" and "Hemophiliak" both of The Sekrets?

Oh, and "Heart Attacks" is just "Queen Of Pain" revisited.

Sure you don’t mean “Throw Me to the Lions” as well? Heart Attacks kind of resembles the vocal melody but TMTTL full on takes it.

I definitely get the vibe that most of the “Skiba” songs could fit right in on a Sekrets album, or even a few for Blink. That could be expected though when he’s been with Blink for 2 years and they threw this album together so quickly.

I love this album, front to back. Demon & Division has even grown on me a ton.

40 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Like Ghost said the other day, we should see if this album has some staying power. Unfortunately all my friends who are into Alkaline Trio HATE it so bad and I'm the odd one out. 

I've heard nothing but praise from the fans I know personally, hell I got yelled at for not praising it haha - it's definitely not approved of by some fans though, can't win them all.

This album has already grown on me a lot. 

2 hours ago, Kay said:

I've heard nothing but praise from the fans I know personally, hell I got yelled at for not praising it haha - it's definitely not approved of by some fans though, can't win them all.

This album has already grown on me a lot. 

These friends got me into Alkaline Trio when I was younger and they basically liked them up until Agony and Irony - they hated My Shame Is True (which I understand, I've never been too fond of that album too) - but they say that this one sounds forced and it isn't cohesive, you can't hear their musical influences here and they think Skiba put some horror metaphors here and there just for the sake of sticking to his "character."
I don't think so, it gets better every time I listen to it but to each their own. It's just sad seeing them being so angry and let down because I know they're big fans. 

4 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

I definitely get the vibe that most of the “Skiba” songs could fit right in on a Sekrets album, or even a few for Blink. That could be expected though when he’s been with Blink for 2 years and they threw this album together so quickly.

I love this album, front to back. Demon & Division has even grown on me a ton.

Hm... funny though, I don't see how those songs -which could have been, supposedly, blink songs- sound as blink as some people is pointing out. I just find them pretty AK3, but maybe with a more optimistic or poppier sound (which is not that new to this band).Of course, now that we know how 'new' blink sounds, comparisons have to be there and all. So I think is normal.

Oh, another think I'm really loving on this record is, well, something we, fans of this band, already know: how refreshing Skiba can sound when coming back to his natural tone and way of singing. Just the minimum high screaming. And I'm loving the middle range he's provinding here, very expressive.

A few listens more, I'm finding the album more insteresting than a few quick listens can suggest. There are little details that are showing the band trying to reinvigorate their sound, and if you pay attention, they suggest a pretty damn ellaborated backgrounds and arrangements there. The only problem about this is that, due to the sometimes 'messy' mix, the music doesn't breath as much as I'd like... a little more separation would be ACE. So, I think this songs have good potential to sound really great on live performances, where everything gets more stripped down and separated.

@Elisa, about Dan songs, I'm now finding them really old school-ish, specially the fastests ones, due to the way Dan runs through the lyrics and the melodies. I'm hearing there some olde Dan 'Maybe I'll Cath Fire' album songwriting style.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kevin. said:

every trio fan i know gave up after good mourning. basically, they haven't enjoyed any music since their freshman year of college and fail to understand how people and things inevitably change 

It's probably this. If they don't enjoy this album then they might as well given up on the band because nothing they could do will ever satisfy them. 

39 minutes ago, Ghost said:

@Elisa, about Dan songs, I'm now finding them really old school-ish, specially the fastests ones, due to the way Dan runs through the lyrics and the melodies. I'm hearing there some olde Dan 'Maybe I'll Cath Fire' album songwriting style.

You're right, I still don't get a Maybe I'll Catch Fire vibe but they're really growing on me. Lyric-wise though, they're far from being his best songs and I love Dan!! 

6 hours ago, Kevin. said:

every trio fan i know gave up after good mourning.

hehehe this is a little true. i still love 'em, seen 'em six times. but having said that...

i had listened to the early stuff when it came out, but infirmary was the first album i bought. i still think that's the album where it all came together: the alk3 formula. good mourning right after was their peak in terms of songwriting, overall sound, and production.

and ever since then, they've been rewriting good mourning over and over again. for every album.

i still buy them and add them to the growing "alkaline trio post-good mourning shuffle playlist" which is essentially one very long album. good for road trips.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

see it's one of the few tracks on the new album which isn't a complete retread of something else, imo.

I mean... it's not exactly massively out of their wheelhouse at all? melodically, musically - it sounds like a very 'meh' alk3 song. I don't see anything special or interesting about it, and it's got not a lot going on to keep me interested. I've listened to the record a lot since my initial post about it, and I've changed perspective on quite a few - but not this one. 

48 minutes ago, Kay said:

I don't see anything special or interesting about it, and it's got not a lot going on to keep me interested.

i suppose that's where we differ. maybe because you're a singer / songwriter, you're evaluating with a stronger lens?

i'm just a guitar player, so (as many have pointed out) i tend to focus on the chord progressions. if i'm grinning with what's been done there and i like playing along, i'm satisfied.

bored / interested doesn't factor into it for me (at least for the trio).

2 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

I really like Throw me to the Lions and Goodbye Fire Island but feels like they ain't getting much love...

GFI I like parts of but I mostly think it could've been a lot better lyrically considering what it's about, I expected more. I love Throw Me To The Lions though, one of my fave choruses. 

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

i suppose that's where we differ. maybe because you're a singer / songwriter, you're evaluating with a stronger lens?

i'm just a guitar player, so (as many have pointed out) i tend to focus on the chord progressions. if i'm grinning with what's been done there and i like playing along, i'm satisfied.

bored / interested doesn't factor into it for me (at least for the trio).

I don't dislike it guitar wise, just doesn't stick out. The second half of each verse has that fast single note chugging thing going on which is cool but because it's identical on each verse I'm less enthused by it, apart from that I just feel like its a little monotonous. I don't hate it, just doesn't excite me.