Songs You Think Matt Skiba Can Pull Off With Blink

juice182

I don't know Matt Skiba that well but from what I have heard I agree that he'll pull off I Miss You quite well.

Also I think he'll do All The Small Things more justice than Tom has in recent years.

I don't think he'll have any issues with the post-reunion songs, there's nothing special about Tom's voice in most of them.

Jumping the gun with this, but if Mark, Travis and Matt record an album, what do you think/expect/hope that Matt will bring to the table?

Here's what i want/hope for;

1) In the more 'poppy' sounding Alk3 songs, he does a lot of guitar 'stabbing' which to me sounds freaking cool if done well.

2) Clever song writing, not clever like Tom thinks he's clever but ACTUAL clever lyrics etc.

3) Awesome, raw guitar tone

I'll add more as i think of more but these were the things i was thinking on my lunch break whilst listening to Alk3 again

I think Matt will sound better than current Tom on literally every song.

That said, I highly doubt they will play intimate Tom songs like Carousel (even though he disrespected that song all the time), or Tom heavy songs like First Date or Anthem Part 2. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we hear some old songs that Tom refused to play for whatever reason. Definitely have a chance at Apple Shampoo and songs like that.

I think it's worth considering that for some Tom only songs, Mark might actually take the lead.  I don't think every Tom part will necessarily have to fall to Matt, unless he wants them too.  For example, I'd love to hear Mark sing Not Now or What Went Wrong?

I think it might feel even weirder to have Mark sing some of Tom's songs.

To some extent, but think about songs like Dammit and Heart's All Gone, where Tom doesn't sing on the album, but sings parts of them live.  Its not so different from that... except for the fact that such songs we may have heard many times before sang by Tom live.

The problem with Mark singing Tom songs and becoming a clear cut lead singer is that it could be construed as a power grab. I don't think Mark wants that at all.

But I could see him singing songs like Carousel...classic, intimate blink songs like that.

The problem with Mark singing Tom songs and becoming a clear cut lead singer is that it could be construed as a power grab. I don't think Mark wants that at all.

But I could see him singing songs like Carousel...classic, intimate blink songs like that.

I don't think it would have to be viewed like that, I think they could be honest with each other, there may be songs that are better for Mark's range, and I'm sure Matt would understand if Mark told him that there are a few songs that are really important to him that he'd like to sing, I don't think someone like Matt would view something like that as a power move, and i don't think it would be.