The Official, Comprehensive Blink-182 Timeline

boxelder

I had some free time tonight so I went through my old wall calendars and have this information to add...

On 3/3/2015 at 3:19 PM, boxelder said:
9/23/1995:
  • The band performs at SOMA in San Diego, California. Ticket
    • Other bands include 7 Seconds (headliner), Blue Meanies, and... I can't make out the name on the ticket! (lol)

Other band is "Shades Apart"

NEW SHOW DISCOVERY! 

Listed on my wall calendar... "10/04/15 Blink-182 @ Monty's". I believe this was a pub on campus at UCSD but I could be wrong.

10/22/1995The band performs at SOMA in San Diego.

According to my wall calendar, other bands are Supernova & Buck-O-Nine.

2/1995: After a two-month delay, They Came to Conquer Uranus is released. The EP with Swindle, titled Lemmings / Going Nowhere, is set for February, but the band mocks this projection in their newsletter: "look for it this summer!" According to Larry Munroe, who posted tour dates for the band on alt.punk, the split EP did indeed see release that month.

You guys have this in the middle of the 1996 dates, so I think this is dated wrong in the timeline. On my wall calendar I have "Swindle Blink-182 7-inches" written on January 23, 1996, so I'm not sure the significance of this date. Did it come out this day? Was I for some reason given some of these records? I couldn't tell you, but it definitely says 7-inches plural so who knows.

3/30/1996
  • The band performs at SOMA in San Diego, California; this was a free show. Poster
    • Other bands included Radiohead, Insane Clown Posse, Cracker, Bouncing Souls, the Goops, David Gray, and Cast.
  • This show was organized by San Diego radio station 91X. Hilary Chambers, its music director, posted a blog on the station's website in 2016 with details about the show.

I'm not sure where the info on this being a free show comes from, but the 91X archive shows this being a $10.91 show, which fits in better with my memory of the show

NEW SHOW DISCOVERY!

Ok, I'm actually not sure if this is a new show, but maybe you can guys can figure out what my chicken scratch means. On my calendar on 3/21/97, it looks like it says "Blink-182 @ Steps" and then on 3/22/97 it says "98 Mute & Blink-182 @ Steps." For the life of me, I can't remember any venue called Steps, and why they would be playing two nights at this point confuses me even more. Can anyone make any sense of this one?

Also, why isn't Board Aid on 3/15/97 listed on the timeline?

6/21/1997: The band performs at The Nile Theater in Mesa, Arizona. Video 1

As I've previously mentioned, this show was part of a weekend of shows for the release of Dude Ranch. 6/20/97 was in Las Vegas, NV at the Huntridge and 6/22/97 was in Lake Havasu, AZ at the Rattlesnake. 30footfall played Havasu and possibly all 3 shows, and I am pretty sure Pivit played at least the Vegas show. Not sure who else played.

9/1/1997: The band performs at Fitzgerald's in Houston, Texas, beginning the Race Around Uranus Tour. Poster for all shows

9/2/1997: The band performs at El Ray Theatre in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

9/4/1997: The band performs at Emo's in Austin, Texas.

9/5/1997: 

According to Race Around Uranus itineraries, on this date the band performs at Electric Ballroom in Tempe, Arizona. However this could be incorrect, as we have proof for:

The band performs at SOMA in San Diego, California. Ticket stub

9/6/1997: The band performs at Citrus Pavilion in San Bernadino, California. Video 1, ticket stub

9/2/1997: The band performs at El Ray Theatre in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Undated, Late 1997:
  • Blink records two new songs with Mark Trombino: "I Won't Be Home for Christmas" and "Mutt". IWBHFC is released as a promo single, while "Mutt" is placed on the soundtrack for The Show, a new Taylor Steele surf video released the following February. Blink later re-records "Mutt" with Jerry Finn during the Enema sessions; that version is heard in American Pie.

It definitely doesn't make sense because of the above referenced show, but my wall calendar from 1997 has "Studio w/Blink" written on 9/2/97. It especially doesn't make sense because I have "School 11-2 & 6-9" written right next to it, but I'd typically write a question mark next to something if it was tentative. But I do have the 9/5 show at SOMA and 9/6 show in San Bernadino on my calendar, so I think I was at both of those. Since there's a discrepency on the 9/5 show, I bet Race Around Uranus was originally supposed to start 9/1 but ended up starting 9/5 in San Diego and those four shows never happened. That's my best detective work, which would make the 9/2 studio day entirely possible.

NEW SHOW DISCOVERY!

Another one I'm not sure of, but I have it written down that Mark was back from tour on 3/17/98. Then on 3/20/98, I have "Classified + Blink @ Elk's" written on my calendar. Elk's Lodge was a tiny club, if you can call it that, that a lot of local shows happened at. But until I saw this written down, I do not remember Blink-182 playing there. I don't see how I would have it written down if they didn't play, so maybe this is a secret show I've forgotten about?

NEW SHOW DISCOVERY!

I have no details on this one, but I have it written down on my calendar that Blink played in Bakersfield on 5/8/98.

1/1999-3/1999 (undated): Enema of the State is recorded at Signature Sound and Studio West in San Diego, Mad Hatter Studios and The Bomb Factory in Los Angeles, Conway Recording Studios in Hollywood, and Big Fish Studios in Encinitas, California. "When it was done, we were so stoked. It was like a masterpiece for our band. We knew this was going to be the best thing we ever did," said Tom in TFBYM.

I have it written down that I met with Blink at a studio in San Diego called Studio West on 1/26/99. Not sure the significance of this meeting, but perhaps the band was doing pre-production locally in Rancho Bernardo before heading up to LA to record the full album. Apparently I met with the band again on 1/29/99.

NEW SHOW DISCOVERY!

I found some old ticket stubs and I used to always write the bands on the back so one day (today) I'd be able to go back and reference who played. All of stubs I had matched the list except for one... 6/12/99. The show was 91X's X-Fest 99, and on the back of the ticket I have written: Blink-182, Buck-O-Nine, Sprung Monkey, The Specials, Ben Folds Five, and Punk Rock Karaoke. I can't find anything on the web about it but I trust my 20 year old self that they did play this show.

• Like 2

Thank you to @veeRob for posting those pictures of his tickets stubs !

ticket stubs from theses shows

11/26/1997: The band performs at Bren Center at UC Irvine in Irvine, California.

6/30/1999: The band performs at Del Mar Fairgrounds in Del Mar, California.

7/2/1997: The band performs at Hospitality Point in San Diego, California, beginning their stint on Warped Tour 1997.

12/15/1996: The band performs at Crawford Hall in Irvine, California. 

5/1/1998: The band performs at the Hollywood Palladium in Hollywood, California, completing the mini-tour.

12/31/1995: The band performs at SOMA in San Diego, California, as a part of SOMA's New Year Bash.

4/26/1998: The band performs at the Cox Arena in San Diego, California, as a part of 91X's and 106.3's Spring Fling

12/31/1994: The band performs at SOMA in San Diego, California, as a part of SOMA's New Year Bash

12/31/1997: The band performs at SOMA in San Diego, California, as a part of SOMA's New Year Bash.

oAzARf9.jpg

Two new dates to add

02/06/1994 Tracking guitar for 2 songs as well as backing vocals at Doubletime Studios. Those were part of the recording of the Buddha cassette and were provided by Jeff Forest (owner of Doubletime Studios).

10/02/1994 Tracking guitar + vocal and mixing at Doubletime Studios.Those were part of the recording of the Buddha cassette and were provided by Jeff Forest (owner of Doubletime Studios).

39558071_1756946877734348_90023182692222

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thibaut182 said:

02/06/1994 Tracking guitar for 2 songs as well as backing vocals at Doubletime Studios. Those were part of the recording of the Buddha cassette and were provided by Jeff Forest (owner of Doubletime Studios).

That is absolutely awesome that you got those invoices! Jeff Forrest (two R's) is the man! I recorded a few projects at Doubletime and Jeff told us stories of recording Blink. From what I recall, Jeff supposedly came up with the line "And in my town you can't drive naked." He had a wacky sense of humor. Notice on the invoice there's no charge for the backing vocals line item? I believe that's because Jeff actually sang backups on one of the songs as well, so this is likely in reference to it, possibly written in on the invoice as a joke.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/6/2017 at 1:57 AM, Kjblink182 said:

So... While cleaning my room today, I came across a reproduction SOMA flyer I didn't have in my records. Can't find a source of the image either, although I did eventually find the file on my old computer. June 30th, 1993 at soma, San Diego.

My file is to large to upload here unfortunately, but I do have proof of it if necessary.

@Kjblink182 Can you email this to me please?

Thanks!

tumblr_nnfmqpSMam1u6x6rwo1_1280.jpg

On 11/6/2017 at 2:18 AM, daveyjones said:

this is from the photoshoot with the dance hall crashers at six flag magic mountain, valencia, CA, for the may/june 1997 issue of the OC magazine mean street.

I remember seeing a listing for this Mean Street magazine issue on eBay in 2001-2002, I was about to buy it then, now I kind of regret it. Do you have this magazine by any chance @daveyjones?

daa7eb0c11a34694337141f424da634b.jpg

1997-07-_XX_Valencia_CA_-_Six_Flags_Magi

2 minutes ago, boxelder said:

those being the only photos of the band with DHC it’s really great to see em, especially since the two bands seemed so tight and mark’s relationship with elyse rogers begat some of his best writing

yea this is right before they split up

16 hours ago, daveyjones said:

@veeRob was at the shoot, he could probably tell you some stories.

I was just thinking about that today... I took so many photos of bands at that time, I can't believe I didn't bring my camera to the overnight video shoot. I do remember it was 12am call time and I think I finally left at like 6 or 7am when the sun was up and drove home super tired back to San Diego. Totally worth it, though. Wore my Swindle shirt for my extra work since I was a fan of those guys and Blink had a split 7" with them... they were super stoked I did that for them. I remember the original plan was to fill the theatre with fans, but they supposedly forgot to get the word out, so it was me, Anne, and maybe a couple other people in random seats around the theatre. I had to try not to laugh while Blink were acting all crazy in the theatre as I didn't want to ruin a shot. In the lobby, Rick was absolutely hilarious and the story in the book is true, the video was changed on the spot to feature him more. The two models were super quiet and were super out of place but were professionals, even when Mark accidentally tripped the dude. I just remember Darren Doane yelling at everyone to keep running back and forth. It was riduclous. The shot of Scott brushing the spilled popcorn off his head always made me laugh because Tom spilling the popcorn was absolutely not planned or staged. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, veeRob said:

I was just thinking about that today... I took so many photos of bands at that time, I can't believe I didn't bring my camera to the overnight video shoot. I do remember it was 12am call time and I think I finally left at like 6 or 7am when the sun was up and drove home super tired back to San Diego. Totally worth it, though. Wore my Swindle shirt for my extra work since I was a fan of those guys and Blink had a split 7" with them... they were super stoked I did that for them. I remember the original plan was to fill the theatre with fans, but they supposedly forgot to get the word out, so it was me, Anne, and maybe a couple other people in random seats around the theatre. I had to try not to laugh while Blink were acting all crazy in the theatre as I didn't want to ruin a shot. In the lobby, Rick was absolutely hilarious and the story in the book is true, the video was changed on the spot to feature him more. The two models were super quiet and were super out of place but were professionals, even when Mark accidentally tripped the dude. I just remember Darren Doane yelling at everyone to keep running back and forth. It was riduclous. The shot of Scott brushing the spilled popcorn off his head always made me laugh because Tom spilling the popcorn was absolutely not planned or staged. 

Did they record the whole Dammit music video in just a day? According to the old blink 182 website (the one you created):
image.thumb.png.3d0a481906508a896e01df1f28f018f7.png

If so, can you remember what the exact date was?

Thanks a lot for the cool story.

On 8/21/2018 at 12:13 AM, veeRob said:

NEW SHOW DISCOVERY!

I found some old ticket stubs and I used to always write the bands on the back so one day (today) I'd be able to go back and reference who played. All of stubs I had matched the list except for one... 6/12/99. The show was 91X's X-Fest 99, and on the back of the ticket I have written: Blink-182, Buck-O-Nine, Sprung Monkey, The Specials, Ben Folds Five, and Punk Rock Karaoke. I can't find anything on the web about it but I trust my 20 year old self that they did play this show.

I believe this is correct. I’d have to check on my computer but I believe I actually have a crappy-quality photo of a flyer/poster from this show I can post later

My apologies. I was incorrect. What I have a poster for is the 101XFest on 04-23-99. Names are too close I suppose. I'll post the flyer/poster/whatever it is here shortly, I realized that this event wasn't even listed in the timeline, so I'll leave that to @boxelder, but I also noted that there is a (small, rather insignificant) change to be made; these two dates are in the incorrect order on the timeline:

4/30/1999: The film Idle Hands is released. Tom DeLonge makes a cameo appearance in the movie as Dave, a window server at Burger Jungle. Video 1 

4/23/1999: The soundtrack for American Pie, which includes "Mutt", is announced.