Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi News, Rumors, Trailers, SPOILER WARNING

Chewy030

Is this the movie thread/spoilers? I'll spoiler anyway just in case, buuut....

That was not Empire Strikes Back. Some facets of both ESB and Rogue One in the mix, but still its own whole thing. I had a fucking great time seeing this movie. Spoilers follow.

Spoiler

So many moments that frustrated the fuck out of me. Luke brushing his fucking shoulder off after he survives the ambush? The little goofs incorporated in with anything Kylo Ren-related? Like yes, it's Adam Driver, and Ben is not a great fighter, but he's not a bumbling idiot. He's just weak. Some of Yoda's presence was also just bizarre and stupid to me, but I did like that his capacities as essentially a ghost were more than the likes of Obi Wan, and hopefully Luke will be able to do some cool shit as a ghost later on too.

I was not really as shooketh by Luke's death as I was by Han Solo, but maybe that's because he was such an intentionally obtuse edgelord about the force for most of the time he should've been helping Rey, and it turned out that she mostly showed him how he was wrong and shitty for the crazy resentment he carried on his back all the time. It was powerful and sad that he died doing something we've never seen done, and he died performing as a goddamn Jedi, so I guess they did a good job of making it feel like a peaceful, reasonable conclusion like Rey described.

I fully indulged in this newly growing relationship between Kylo and Rey. I am not sure what they're doing with it, but I was into whatever it was. They wanted me to eat that shit up and I fully did. 

Kind of disappointed that Leia didn't die. I don't get what they're going to do with her and I'm sad that we see the best example of her capacities as someone with the Force just as it becomes impossible to explore it any further. I remember when the trailer came out and everyone thought that Ben was going to kill Leia, with his whole "Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to. It's the only way to become who you were meant to be" thing, but I liked where they went with that even more. 

Spoiler

Overall I liked the movie, and there were a lot of exciting scenes, but it has some flaws that frustrated me.

I thought the whole idea of chasing the rebels until their fuel runs out was a bit silly. Are we supposed to believe that the mighty First Order doesn't have enough ships to ambush one single rebel ship?

Snoke was pretty much a useless character, but they could have given him a bit more back story before he died. At least it didn't turn out that he was Rey's father.

The whole sidequest of Finn going to shut down the tracker was pretty much pointless and a waste of time. I mean I know it was used as character development for Finn, to show us his transformation to a true rebel, but damn. It made this movie feel drawn out.

I thought Mark Hamill's acting was really good in this film, but they didn't use his character's potential. I get why he didn't want to train Rey, but you knew he was going to turn around eventually and it sucked that we had to wait 2 hours for him to do something. And even then he doesn't really do anything other than sending a "hologram" of himself to distract Ben. Which was really lame by the way. First you make him look like a complete bad ass by surviving hundred explosions, only to reveal that he was never in any sorts of danger. And to make matters even worse, let him die the most useless death ever afterwards. So much for the legend.

On 11/13/2017 at 12:37 PM, Ghent said:

Can't wait for you to nit pick it to death while claiming you still love it Cheerios :)

Ohh boy I'm SO gonna do this.

I loved it.

BUT:

I kind of hate Luke Skywalker now. He was such a dick the whole time and was nothing like how I'd ever expect Luke to be. Mark Hamill said that he fundamentally disagreed with almost every choice Rian Johnson made in regards to Luke's character. I think I agree.

Though I still loved seeing Luke and he was much better towards the end of the movie.

But now with Han AND Luke dead and Carrie Fisher dead in real life I'm pretty sad. Though I'm positive Luke will be back as a ghost. To be fair I guess we don't know for sure that that was actually his death.

I'll share more thoughts later. I loved so many things about this movie. I was annoyed by a few things, but overall, I really, really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

Meh saw it.  Shite imo.  These new ones are no better than the prequals if I'm being completely honest.  This was definitely better than Force Awakens though, which is tied for worst with episode 2.  This cast just sucks right now imo, Rey is okay.  Bad guy? Awful. Boyega? Awful.  CGI fuckers? Awful.

ESB>A New Hope>ROTJ>Ep 3>Ep 1>The Last Jedi>Ep 2, Force Awakens

1 minute ago, NotNow said:

I can’t see the movie til next week so I can’t read this thread but I’m curious on people’s thoughts since I’ve heard very negative things. Anyone want to quote this with non spoiler thoughts.

You want me to spoil it for you?

2 hours ago, NotNow said:

I can’t see the movie til next week so I can’t read this thread but I’m curious on people’s thoughts since I’ve heard very negative things. Anyone want to quote this with non spoiler thoughts.

I have lots of problems with it but I enjoyed it and will definitely see it again.

just like @Ghent predicted!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NotNow said:

This movie basically turns all expectations and notions about the saga over the previous 7 episodes over and presses a reset button.

It is both refreshing and terrifying at the same time. It masterfully sets up Ep9. But what happens in the next one will determine whether this was an epic failure or an epic success. Just my take.

• Like 1

Spoiler

I really hate how there were all these theories on who snoke was and then he just dies.  I wonder if theyll go into it in the next one or if hes just done.  Also its nice that now Han, and Luke are dead cause they can finally focus on the new characters and stop having the old main stars for safety.

I loved anything to do with Kylo Ren, Rey, and Luke. Kylo Ren is the best character and actor. 

I wish there was less humor. Unless its subtle or actually funny, they gotta get rid of it. Same problem in Ep 7. Also, like Ep 7, they could have cut out some of the pointless action scenes

Still processing some of the more "out there" things that happened with Luke.