Kanye West

boxelder

I understand collaborations, but the dude straight up has people make his beats and lyrics on some songs.  Not all, yes, but he does NOT have artistic integrity in my eyes when he takes ALL of the credit for "collaborating" with people.

And I'm not just talking about samples, he straight up has people write his music at times.  It's a sham that he is so highly regarded when it isn't even all his work.  At least blink is 3 idiots in a room together, not 1 egomaniac and his hundreds of underlings making his music.

5 hours ago, M!ke said:

Seems to me that Kanye probably could make back all his losses with one big world tour (to regions where he has large fan bases).  A musician on his level would likely make at least half a million at each show (perhaps less after all the money has to be distributed to all else involved, but you get my point).  If he did about 100 shows within a year, I'm certain he could pay of fhis debts.  I'm not a fan of his music, but he has plenty of fans, he's not Tom Delonge struggling to maintain even a portion of his fanbase, they all seem to still be there continuing to support kanye, despite how fucking nuts he seems to be.

The difference between Tom and Kanye is that any given outfit/accessories Kanye is wearing is probably worth like 10 grand. the douchy hip hop lifestyle is expensive as fuck. A quick google shows that he bought Kim an 8 million dollar engagement ring and spent 3 million on the proposal event.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, darkarrow said:

I understand collaborations, but the dude straight up has people make his beats and lyrics on some songs.  Not all, yes, but he does NOT have artistic integrity in my eyes when he takes ALL of the credit for "collaborating" with people.

And I'm not just talking about samples, he straight up has people write his music at times.  It's a sham that he is so highly regarded when it isn't even all his work.  At least blink is 3 idiots in a room together, not 1 egomaniac and his hundreds of underlings making his music.

Your proof that he doesn't write his own music is his trashy ex drunkenly saying he doesn't write his own music and later saying she didn't mean it, and a guy who is credited on a few of his songs for writing a bit of them, while mostly writing for Common. I mean, his first four albums, he didn't even write them down, he just rapped based on ideas he'd been working on.

He does collaborations specifically for the purpose of having a more diverse group of people including relative unknowns creating diverse music, that was a specific talking point with Yeezus and they're all credited clearly, it isn't like it's a secret.

I mean, I think that there are dozens/hundreds of opinions that I consider more qualified than mine that make that subjective opinion hold a little more ground. I think it's offensive to imply that his music is just "yo yo yo" and dick sucking, and it tells me that the person saying that shit doesn't like it more than that they have a qualified opinion based on actually listening to it and getting familiar with the music/genre.

For the record I have listened to almost all of West's releases and just do not get the hype at all.  I'm not saying his music is inherently terrible, but there aren't all that many that I come back, in fact probably none really.

My main issue is that people are so blindsided by his persona that they completely miss the other artists and people actually doing the hard work for the asshole.

It's pretty ridiculous considering how respected he is and well regarded he is as a producer while being demonized at the same time for his outbursts. Nobody who has any weight musically has said a bad thing about his music that I can ever recall. If you don't like it, then that's fine, but please don't pretend you can do better. 

8 hours ago, ungroovy said:

Lol, yeah, it is talent. You don't need to enjoy it, but you're not convincing anyone.

I am not trying to convince anyone.

8 hours ago, ungroovy said:

I mean, I think that there are dozens/hundreds of opinions that I consider more qualified than mine that make that subjective opinion hold a little more ground. I think it's offensive to imply that his music is just "yo yo yo" and dick sucking, and it tells me that the person saying that shit doesn't like it more than that they have a qualified opinion based on actually listening to it and getting familiar with the music/genre.

I am glad its offensive. The man is nothing but an offensive joke. I just wish I had been Mike Myers when he said Bush hates black people, I would have hauled off and broke his nose right in front of the camera or Taylor Swift when he had to gall to interrupt her on stage, I would have beat the living shit out of him. It would have been fantastic. It's like a fantasy of mine honestly. I hate this guy that much.

IMO  his music is just talking over a background. The lyrics aren't clever.

58 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

It's pretty ridiculous considering how respected he is and well regarded he is as a producer while being demonized at the same time for his outbursts. Nobody who has any weight musically has said a bad thing about his music that I can ever recall. If you don't like it, then that's fine, but please don't pretend you can do better. 

I could, he's a joke.

1 hour ago, _Kyle_ said:

He's well respected? By who?

4 hours ago, .Nick said:

He's well respected? By who?

Have you had your head in the sand for the past 12 years?

http://www.nme.com/news/bruce-springsteen/74923

Bruce Springsteen

http://www.clashmusic.com/news/coldplay-praise-kanye-west

Coldplay

http://www.nme.com/news/prince/88072

Prince

Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker if you haven't been paying attention to them. Mark specifically said that 808 and Heartbreaks was one of his favorite records of 2008 and that it was a future classic. Not to mention Paul McCartney, Daft Punk, Nas, Justin Vernon, Katy Perry, Beck, Lupe Fiasco, Elton John, Rick Rubin, The Beastie Boys, Madonna, Win Butler (Arcade Fire) and Lauryn Hill just off the top of my head have worked with him or have given him props. Not to mention the amount of accolades he's been given by the music world, the directors who work with him, and the unparalleled success he's had. There's literally nobody else as popular and well regarded as him currently going. 

• Like 2