The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

33 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

He did once back in the day.

If Mark lost his fingers, or something else preventing him from being in blink and Matt, Travis, and whomever started going around as Blink, I'm sure you'd all cry about it. It's not hard to sympathize with people who see Blink as Mark, Travis, and Tom. The guy arguably has been in the band longer than any other member until last year.

Yeah, but Mark and Travis never fcked with the band. They never messed up aor fucked up the band, which is what Tom has been doing since BCR. That's the difference. Tom didn't want to be there, and he just let that be obvious. Mark and Travis love the band and they just push forward.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, helen_hoppus said:

well, i just will be interested his life, usual or not 

2 minutes ago, Dan2point5 said:

He'd never quit music. Music is his home. His one true love. His everything. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Yeah, but Mark and Travis never fcked with the band. They never messed up aor fucked up the band, which is what Tom has been doing since BCR. That's the difference. Tom didn't want to be there, and he just let that be obvious. Mark and Travis love the band and they just push forward.

@helen_hoppus Okay, but Mark not being in blink would that still be Blink 182 to you?

@Dan2point5 Say he quits Blink 182 cause he wants to go solo. Hypothetically is it still blink 182?

@Ghost Say Mark quit blink cause he honestly didn't have the heart for it anymore. Would the band members that are left be blink 182?

10 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

@helen_hoppus Okay, but Mark not being in blink would that still be Blink 182 to you?

@Dan2point5 Say he quits Blink 182 cause he wants to go solo. Hypothetically is it still blink 182?

@Ghost Say Mark quit blink cause he honestly didn't have the heart for it anymore. Would the band members that are left be blink 182?

yes, of course. now this is another version of blink-182. if there will be more serious changes like mark's quit for example, it will be blink-182, but one more blink type

If Tom had left in like 2003, then yeah, it just wouldn't be blink without him. But since then he's completely changed to the point where it's hard to believe he's the same person. It didn't help that he refused to put much effort into the band either. So really, losing Tom didn't make blink "lose their identity" or anything like that. If Mark, who hasn't done a 180 personality-wise and clearly still cares a lot about blink, were to leave instead of Tom, then it would have felt a lot less like the same band. So yeah, imo blink isn't blink without Mark, but is just fine without Tom.

• Like 1

I'm one of those people who feel it's not blink 182 without Tom.

I think a huge part of it is that I don't really enjoy California so all the blink I listen to has Tom on guitars and vocals. To me that is blink 182. I can't remember the last time I listened to California so this era with Matt doesn't really connect with me.

I really like Matt though, he seems like an awesome guy and he's helped make blink relevant again. But it still feels like he is just a hired gun who is filling in temporarily and not a member of the band.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dan2point5 said:

Genuinely don't care. My comments weren't supposed to be taken as seriously as you've taken them to be honest. 

Oh, I've never taken them seriously. Do not worry. I just wanted to let you know, that I know.

Well, talking about how Blink 182 2.0 feels or not feels like blink... lately I've been through a mix of feelings about it. I'm aboard of this new incarnation of the band, but yeah, it's pretty obvious that we're lacking something (that's been lacking since 2003, to be honest, which is the old talented riffy melodic Tom, so...), and at the same time that we're enjoying a new kind of appoach and energy.

This summer, California made me re-listen Dude Ranch, Enema Of The State and Untitled. And yep, it hurts, you know, California offers tons of energy and coolness, but lacks the old Tom talent, which is what Neighborhoods and DED lacked too.

And... @_Kyle_ , I've now an opinion. Nope, if Mark leaves blink anytime, they should put it to rest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Kyle_ said:

By that logic Blink 182 has ceased to be a band since 2004.

You're right, they definitely haven't been the same band since they got back together. But I wouldn't go as far as to say that they ceased to be a band when Tom stopped caring. I think they still retained some of their identity because of Mark. Without him, it probably would have sounded more like U2 with nothing "blink"-sounding other than Travis's drums, whereas without Tom, they don't lose anything more than what they already lost when he stopped caring.

1 hour ago, helen_hoppus said:

if we're talking about some deep spiritual component, mood and influence - yes, blink is not blink without mark hoppus 

The same can be said for Tom as well. There's lots of people out there who feel blink is not blink without Tom. And it makes sense, people's best memories of the band are with both Mark and Tom. I miss them both being on stage together.

In fairness my point was that Mark and Travis have the right to continue as blink. that doesn't mean I'm happy with current blink or Tom not being there.

If Tom had never wavered, and hadn't treated the fans like dicks, and Mark got all screwy and weird and fucked off to find aliens I'd fully support Tom and Travis continuing as blink. if both mark and tom weren't there then no, it's not blink. Travis is an amazing drummer but his talent isn't really the 'soul' of the group.

I am not happy with current blink, it doesn't 'feel' like blink to me, but that has very little to do with it. It's their property, their right to do with it as they wish. Mark is 110% blink, it's his *life* and he has dedicated himself to it. Tom leaving doesn't mean Mark should have to stop doing what he loves.

In this way they're all happy. Travis can play drums all day and plug his little vegan restaurant, Tom can go chase aliens and Mark can be Mark form blink-182. just because I'm not happy with it, doesn't suddenly make it wrong. it's their choice, and its worked out swimmingly for them so far.

• Like 5