The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

13 hours ago, NotNow said:

That’s definitely not what she’s talking about. She’s specifically talking about blink for that whole paragraph, just who knows if it means anything.

Ok I reread the article and you got a point. Though she doesn't confirm, just says that it's a possibility. Maybe Tom will come back after all.

5 hours ago, two said:

The other day I was listening to the acoustic WDNTW and then I switched to California. Prior to this I didn't mind the album, but this time I was like "wait, wtf?

I don't understand how the "acoustic" WDNTW songs could have made you realize that.

I bet Mark doesn't even have Tom's phone # in his phone, I don't think people fully grasp the seriousness of replacing him in the first place. This isn't "hiatus", this is "replaced". They do not like each other, do not want to work with each other. The only way I see it happening is if Skiba has a change of heart and says he's Alk-3 for life and bails, or tragically dies, and after years of inactivity they decide to do one more cash grab...

Mark/Travis seem super happy, both working with Feldy all the time, both seem to love Matt... I just don't see them both dropping Matt/Feldy, and welcoming the loon back into the band when they've proven they can succeed without him (even if you hate Cali it was a success). If Cali and the tours failed hardcore, it would be a different story. 

I think at this point in their careers they're just totally fine with what they are doing now, pumping out a Blink album every couple years, tour, and help other bands in their downtime. Sounds like a pretty sweet life to me, much better than e-mailing your guitarist's manager to see if he's going to show up at band practice Tuesday. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ryan1125 said:

I bet Mark doesn't even have Tom's phone # in his phone, I don't think people fully grasp the seriousness of replacing him in the first place. This isn't "hiatus", this is "replaced". They do not like each other, do not want to work with each other. The only way I see it happening is if Skiba has a change of heart and says he's Alk-3 for life and bails, or tragically dies, and after years of inactivity they decide to do one more cash grab...

Mark/Travis seem super happy, both working with Feldy all the time, both seem to love Matt... I just don't see them both dropping Matt/Feldy, and welcoming the loon back into the band when they've proven they can succeed without him (even if you hate Cali it was a success). If Cali and the tours failed hardcore, it would be a different story. 

I think at this point in their careers they're just totally fine with what they are doing now, pumping out a Blink album every couple years, tour, and help other bands in their downtime. Sounds like a pretty sweet life to me, much better than e-mailing your guitarist's manager to see if he's going to show up at band practice Tuesday. 

I do agree that neither probably don't have each others numbers. But one of the blink guys did say it felt like a friendly divorce. The split in 2005 seemed more personal and bitter to me. Mark has never fully denied welcoming Tom back into blink either. And Tom this time acts like he didn't quit either compared to the first time he quit. Dunno why he's acting different this time though haha.

But you're right that they seem super happy with Feldman and even Skiba, but that's only because Mark seems to judge happiness based on popularity or something. The guy barely even talks about the amazing work he did in +44, meanwhile Tom is so proud of Boxcar Racer despite it having a similar level of mainstream success. Travis is just happy as long as he can play drums. And Skiba is just happy that all his hard work has paid off. He deserves to have his work be more known IMO. Alkaline Trio are a great band.

Tom is probably gonna have to prove himself with some solo album or something and a proper one, not like the demos one or whatever it was. Cause Mark definitely wouldn't trust Tom right now, hell even I wouldn't if blink was my band.

I don't know. I see Matt eventually going back to Alk3 where he belongs. He's collecting a paycheck, the definition of a yes man. He has what? 4 or 5 songs in the blink catalogue he predominantly wrote? After 30 songs he still isn't even singing by himself because Mark and Feldy both know the song wouldn't be recognizable as blink without the recognition of Mark's voice. Aren't Alk3 opening for the Misfits in Vegas soon? Matt should stick to that band.

I check out of this section for a couple months... check in today only to see the exact same people saying the exact same things as like a year and a half ago.

It's like an echo chamber of tears. Move on with your lives ffs.

9 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I check out of this section for a couple months... check in today only to see the exact same people saying the exact same things as like a year and a half ago.

Nah we like it here where we can wait for that meltdown Tom is going to have. You can leave for another few months though. That's fine by us.

15 hours ago, two said:

The other day I was listening to the acoustic WDNTW and then I switched to California. Prior to this I didn't mind the album, but this time I was like "wait, wtf? A huge reason why I liked blink was because Tom was in it and I liked his guitar style/shitty vocals. Fuck this album." No disrespect to Matt, but I didn't sign up for "blink lite". I'm over new blink. As far as musical interest goes, blink was as far as I got into punk/pop-punk. I'm just gonna step away altogether and get fully back into hip hop/rap.

c ya later Gangsta. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghent said:

Thanks for completing the cycle with your routine response!

17 hours ago, MSandt said:

I don't understand how the "acoustic" WDNTW songs could have made you realize that.

They demonstrate how Tom is willing to experiment musically whereas the California album was just a regression to old blink- more of the same. Their best album- the self-titled one- owes a lot to Tom's willingness to try new shit. Take Tom out of the equation and what do you get? California. Before I was willing to be open-minded but finally it was like a personal epiphany- "fuck this album".

8 hours ago, Ghent said:

lol I've definitely moved on. Just sucks that this section is an echo chamber. Camped here for many years and now it's a big bottle of meh every time I take a peak.

Eh, it's just that there's nothing exciting going on with blink right now. The second they make an announcement or release something new we'll have all sorts of new things to complain about!!

• Like 1