The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

26 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

This is the million dollar question. How big are the paychecks Tom is collecting from blink? My grocery store sells the Enema CD in the bargain bin for $5. Even if they sold thousands of those a week, which I doubt, that's not a ton of $ in comparison to how much musicians used to make. Certainly not enough to support Tom's hobbies, crazy or otherwise. But if you add in the streaming revenue and all that bullshit...and I'm just hypothesizing here, but if Tom gets a chunk of the tour $, he's probably doing ok to get some of these companies upstarted. Again, none of us have any real idea. Pretty sure I'm just restating what others have said on here before. It just depends what Mark agreed to in order to get him off Cali.

Can't be very much now that he's begging for money on the sidewalk lol.

my question is how much do those ASCAP fees from performing the songs live amount to? we all know records don't sell, so there's no back catalogue stuff except for the vinyl reissues, which are minuscule in size i'm sure. he may get a little piece for using the blink name on cali, and there's the famously tiny streaming checks too. but where else is getting his money from? surely he's saved a considerable amount from, y'know, being a multi millionaire and shit, but he's also blown a lot of money over the years as far as we can tell

10 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

This is the million dollar question. How big are the paychecks Tom is collecting from blink? My grocery store sells the Enema CD in the bargain bin for $5. Even if they sold thousands of those a week, which I doubt, that's not a ton of $ in comparison to how much musicians used to make. Certainly not enough to support Tom's hobbies, crazy or otherwise. But if you add in the streaming revenue and all that bullshit...and I'm just hypothesizing here, but if Tom gets a chunk of the tour $, he's probably doing ok to get some of these companies upstarted. Again, none of us have any real idea. Pretty sure I'm just restating what others have said on here before. It just depends what Mark agreed to in order to get him off Cali.

You have to take something in count: those CDs that are already on stores, them are sold. The industry count them as sales. I mean, the company sold them to the store, so the band gets its cut out of it and the number enters to the sold list, no matter how many CDs they are really selling in the store.

Sometimes, depending on the distribution details, the stores (mainly if it is a megastore), they can return the CDs that are not sold. So they don't make the cut and doesn't count as sales numbers. But this only happens with small bands and small deals.

Regardless of what Tom makes now, it's going to a fraction compared to his established net worth. that was estimated at 50mil a while back, but that includes his companies. If all of his companies have made losses (which seems to be the case) and this project involves bailing him out a bit - either he's just not touching a lot of his own finances because even *he* thinks its a bad investment / not worth losing the money, or he is actually that badly in the hole. 

2 hours ago, Kay said:

Regardless of what Tom makes now, it's going to a fraction compared to his established net worth. that was estimated at 50mil a while back, but that includes his companies. If all of his companies have made losses (which seems to be the case) and this project involves bailing him out a bit - either he's just not touching a lot of his own finances because even *he* thinks its a bad investment / not worth losing the money, or he is actually that badly in the hole. 

This. 

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

You have to take something in count: those CDs that are already on stores, them are sold. The industry count them as sales. I mean, the company sold them to the store, so the band gets its cut out of it and the number enters to the sold list, no matter how many CDs they are really selling in the store.

Sometimes, depending on the distribution details, the stores (mainly if it is a megastore), they can return the CDs that are not sold. So they don't make the cut and doesn't count as sales numbers. But this only happens with small bands and small deals.

That's literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Not that it's not an accurate statement or how sales are measured but still...a sale in my own little world is a consumer buying it. Not the store. It really makes you wonder about past album sales if this is the case.

Anyways, I'm not in the music industry so I'm just spit balling ideas here to explain Tom's odd business ventures.

Tom's business ventures are fueled by ego and mental instability.

Blink turned Atticus and other companies from $10K to million dollar companies. It left an imprint on Tom that he could do it again, even better than that "joke band" Blink 182.

But somewhere down the line, he went crazy.Rule number one of business, have something someone wants to buy. Kind of common sense there. In Tom's world, rule number one is, if the idea came from my mind, its a great idea, and people will want it. If it fails, just pretend like it didn't exist and move onto the next one.

He is burning money faster than a vault fire in a bank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vic vinegar said:

This. 

That's literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Not that it's not an accurate statement or how sales are measured but still...a sale in my own little world is a consumer buying it. Not the store. It really makes you wonder about past album sales if this is the case.

Anyways, I'm not in the music industry so I'm just spit balling ideas here to explain Tom's odd business ventures.

Well, I'm sorry, but it's how it works, really. The same happens with the albums that artists give away as a 'gift' with a ticket for a show. They are included as sales. That's how the music industry fakes the shit and keeps running with all its paraphernalia.

Anyway, that was not the main discussion, hahaha. The thing is, as Kay and you say, he's gettin probably a shitload of money out of his companies and the used of the brand Blink-182, aside from royalties and all. But it stills makes me wonder how big the amount should be to pay his crazyness. It's insane.

39 minutes ago, Clarke said:

Hi, Clarke chiming in~

I saw that the status has changed to "recommenced".  Could somebody give like a one-sentence summary of what Tom is grumpy about now?

do you ever feel like breaking down?
do you ever feel out of place?
like somehow you're just tom delonge,
and no one understands you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clarke said:

Hi, Clarke chiming in~

I saw that the status has changed to "recommenced".  Could somebody give like a one-sentence summary of what Tom is grumpy about now?

90% of people are against him and calling him crazy, he is posting fake images of alien spacecraft and saying they are real, this is making it worse. He is also telling people in video messages to "read the fucking bios!" of the people who are working for him.

I think its definitely getting to him that there is a backlash.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Clarke said:

All the dude has to do is cut off his social media.  Go on a blackout.  Wait a year.  And then hire somebody to manage his social media pages, so that he can be portrayed as a celebrity that's wanted.

Yeah, there is a lot Tom could do to fix himself, he has been given an endless amount of "get out of jail free" cards.

Sadly I think he will just continue to shoot himself in the foot.

5 hours ago, Clarke said:

It really bums the fuck out of me how somebody as likable as Tom could turn into the person he is today.  I mean the dude was so likable at one point.  He was funny, charming, and a pop icon to many.  It's one thing to defend the guy for living his life, and it's another thing to feel shitty seeing somebody you look up to wind up in such a bad place.  He has money and a family, so don't get me wrong.  But emotionally the dude's wrecked right now.  He's a guy that finally got kicked to the ground (by himself and others), and he's still getting kicked like crazy while he's down.

To be honest, it's hard for me to listen to the guy right now and believe it's really Tom.  When people are sick or addicted to drugs, it doesn't seem like it's really them in there talking.  With Tom, the same idea is there.  It's a guy that's been fucked emotionally pretty hard, and what remains is an emotionally unstable shell of what used to be Tom.  I only want to help him.

I can see where you're coming from but ultimately if endless wealth, a loving and adoring family and a giant fan base of people loving you regardless of what garbage you put out isn't enough to emotionally support you while you deal with your shit, then maybe there is nothing else anyone can do - he is just broken. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Saw his comment earlier scrolling through Instagram, and luckily someone on Reddit snapped a pic with the original comment, LOL:

vr7r0ce57hwz.jpg

This is why I still love Tom. He's got the real Tom DeLonge hiding inside of himself somewhere. We need that Tom coming back out of his damn shell.

• Like 4