The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

1 minute ago, Barry said:

I thought Tom lived in San Diego?

He does but he could easily be in LA tonight. He's there a lot. I don't think it's tom necessarily but I definitely think someone that at least knows tom wrote that up. Or I'm crazy.

1 hour ago, BigOilyMenInBlack said:

But don't act like Mark is the hero in this situation and doing everything right. He kicked Tom out of Tom's own band. He doesn't want him back. That's pretty harsh. Tom would never have done that to Mark.

To be fair, Tom wouldn't have done that to Mark because Tom saw nothing wrong with breaking promises to fans and using Blink as a vehicle to promote his other projects.

But other than that, great post - I really enjoyed it. And welcome to the boards.

11 minutes ago, NotNow said:

He does but he could easily be in LA tonight. He's there a lot. I don't think it's tom necessarily but I definitely think someone that at least knows tom wrote that up. Or I'm crazy.

i'm with you, too much of a coincidence that he was online (tweeted to Travis) around the same time ... you and I will rejoice NotNow ... I've been on the boards for 10+ years ... knew those dudes browsed it!

WAHOO

8 minutes ago, selks said:

i'm with you, too much of a coincidence that he was online (tweeted to Travis) around the same time ... you and I will rejoice NotNow ... I've been on the boards for 10+ years ... knew those dudes browsed it!

WAHOO

He joined three hours ago, a couple hours after his first Instagram post which continued up until two hours ago. His post was made shortly after the tweet to Travis. Conspiracy!

2 hours ago, BigOilyMenInBlack said:

Hi.

Tom has a point. Yes, he's a little kooky, has a tendency to go off the deep end, and may not have fully psychologically processed this divorce yet - but he has a point, and if you think Mark doesn't have his own issues, you aren't really looking at the full picture. I mean, Mark is the guy who was legitimately jealous, depressed and heartbroken about Box Car Racer. It took him *years* to get over it, and honestly, part of him still might not be. Box Car didn't "create" drama in the band - Mark's weird overreaction to it did. 

Mark holds grudges. Mark engages in petty vengeance (remember when he released "No It Isn't" on Tom's birthday? Low blow.) Mark talks a lot of shit and airs a lot of private, personal problems. Tom usually takes the high ground and wants nothing but the best for Mark. I think, deep down, Mark's the same way - but boy, can he have a hard time showing it.

I think some of you need to get over this notion that Tom is "lying." His perspective is this: he got too busy to honor his commitments with Blink, and he had to back out to deal with all the other shit he has going on his life. He didn't expect this move to get him permanently kicked out of the band, and in his mind, that's not really something they can do to him - at least not without his blessing. Legally, ethically or otherwise.

Keep in mind, Tom isn't blasting them publicly, forcing them to go by "blink-182 with Matt Skiba," or anything like that. All things considered, he's being pretty cool about everything. And sure, at least part of the reason for that is probably that he feels more than a little bad about having to back out of all their plans - especially since this is far from the first time it's happened. 

But don't act like Mark is the hero in this situation and doing everything right. He kicked Tom out of Tom's own band. He doesn't want him back. That's pretty harsh. Tom would never have done that to Mark.

Also, anyone who doesn't clearly smell the other forces at work here -- that Mark isn't too fond of Tom's new songwriting and vibe -- just isn't looking at this whole situation properly. Mark doesn't necessarily want to be in a band with a Wannabe Bono who writes songs about magical love children from space. And who could blame him? But he doesn't emphasize this point, because creative differences of this sort are a lot harder to back up as a reason to kick someone out of his own band. He needs to frame Tom as at "fault," and simply having different musical persuasions isn't exactly a culpability issue on Tom's part. Put differently: Mark is sort of acting like he gets to dictate what the band sounds like, even though it's a songwriting partnership. Is Tom a bit of a control freak too? Absolutely, but somehow he managed to work out those issues without replacing Mark with the bassist of Coldplay or something.

I'm not saying Mark's "fault" frame is disingenuous at all. But I think it's obvious that he'd be willing to put up with Tom's flakeyness a lot more if he was still writing songs like "All the Small Things" or "Dysentery Gary." And yes, he'd also be willing to compromise with Tom creatively if Tom were a bit more committal. Both issues are at play, and that's just reality. So I wouldn't buy into this whole "Tom's a mess" frame as much as some of you seem to be - that's what they have to say in order to move on as a band. There's clearly a genuine creative difference going on too. And frankly, what Travis said recently -- that he and Mark didn't wanna bum Tom out by telling him they didn't like his long, U2ish intros and AvA vibes -- is telling that maybe they could've tried a little hard to compromise with a guy before they rag on him for being uncompromising.

I don't think we've seen the last of Mark, Tom and Travis on the same stage. I also wouldn't be too surprised to see a Box Car reunion in the next year or two - even if it's just a couple shows. Travis seems totally fine with Tom, and it's something a lot of fans would like to see.

Tom's a good dude. Sure, he's a bit nuts sometimes, but he means well and anyone who's spent time with him can tell you that he has a good heart and loves making his fans happy. He's one hell of a songwriter, and hey, we're all here in a forum based on a band that he started. Props to Tom for living his dream and I hope he's back with blink-182 at some point soon - but I think that may take a few years, at least.

Also - cut the guy some slack on the whole alien/government thing. He's making a documentary with John Podesta - who is in charge of Hillary's campaign and used to be Bill Clinton's chief of staff. He really is studying this issue in a serious way with people who have had major top secret clearances. Yes, I know, it's a little nutty - but I don't see anyone telling Hillary to fire Podesta for being schizophrenic or something. People smarter, saner and better than any of us believe in aliens, too.

In the meantime, I also wish Mark, Matt and Travis well, and I'm stoked to hear the album they've made.

Couple of points:

-Regarding Box Car Racer - Making a new band with 2/3 of the members of Blink without really notifying the other member is a dick move and does create drama. Any reasonable person would see that coming. 

-Tom airs Blink's dirty laundry FAR more often than Mark. Whether it's talking with fans on Instagram, revealing that they both wanted to kick Travis out of the band due to his fear of flying, saying things that aren't true and then editing the posts a bunch (like today), etc. To say that Mark engages in petty shit and Tom "takes the high ground" is laughable and disingenuous (lol) with all the available evidence out there. 

-A lot of fans are ok with the fact that Tom had too many commitments and Blink fell on the backburner a lot. But many of us hated the fact that he would tell bold faced lies to the media ("we're coming out with a new album during x period of time."; "we're recording for a new album.") and then Mark would hear about it and have no idea what he was talking about. Don't jerk around your fans and blow smoke to generate hype over nothing. The commitment part was annoying, but it would have been fine if Tom was still willing to compromise with Mark/Travis and record new material once and a while. It is pretty brutal and unacceptable that between 2009 - 2015, the band only put out ONE album (that was frankensteined and written/recorded separately) and an EP. People were upset that Tom prioritized AvA much more than Blink, and from all the signs available, Tom was using Blink as a cash cow and did not view it as a legitimate band (see his lazy concert performances, the little amount he'd spend recording with the band, and finally getting his manager to talk to band members because he's too much of a coward to talk to them himself -- just like the original break-up/hiatus in 2004). 

-I don't think the creative difference created too much of a rift between band members. Tom spearheaded the idea of Self-Titled which was a different and new direction for the band and it worked out. But Blink definitely has an identity as a band and fans expect a certain type of music, and going too far into AvA/Coldplay kind of defeats the purpose of releasing songs under the Blink alias. When Tom was given the contract to record a new album by X date and failed to do so, that indicated why he was kicked out of the band. Sounds like purely commitment issues to me. 

-I do think Tom is probably deep down a great guy. But I also think he's greedy, abused being a member of Blink for getting more money, has ego-issues where he thinks he can dick around the rest of the band and fans alike, and has issues taking responsibility for his actions. 

-Good to hear you still care about the band and are excited for the album. 

Wow, this is worrying. Not about blink, but for him.

I think he's only true in one thing, because he just repeats it over and over: he didn't quit blink. Correct, Tom, you were FIRED.

The rest is bullshit. He needs to get real help, take his pills and go to bed.

Just for a second... can you imagine fans' reaction if he ever appears again on the stage with blink?...

On 29.04.2016 at 11:13 PM, b00bies said:

it's everything and everytime should be about him. deep down they know that this dude fucked them over twice. you gotta be an idiot to trust him again. they just stay polite, that's it. he wants to make travis believe that he's good guy now, because if you make travis believe than mark will believe in it too. i just hope they will never accept him in a band again, as a broken friend - maybe, but there always be a sign of bad blood. they sure want to forget all this crap, but he constantly reminds to everyone how he's the one that get hurts all the time, 

quoting myself again, knew that shit is coming.

delonge is a real shithead. if he wanted to be a good guy and get this bad blood fixed - you talk to mark, not to travis behinds mark's back. that's the key. i bet mark is pissed as fuck and knows exactly what tom's doing. tom feels that travis is too polite and wont say nothing to his stupid tweets so he posts that nonsense. it's just a matter of time when travis get sick of it and tells him how he really feels. 

to me it is so strange that delonge is desperately trying to get back but doesn't want to compromise, to be in the studio together, to write good songs, to sing well. more importantly the man himself said why the fuck i (tom) should spent so much time in the studio to write 10 new songs and then tour the old setlist for 9 months. first of all, they tour only 2 month's. what's up with that. he doesn't even know what he wants. 

1 minute ago, b00bies said:

quoting myself again, knew that shit is coming.

delonge is a real shithead. if he wanted to be a good guy and get this bad blood fixed - you talk to mark, not to travis behinds mark's back. that's the key. i bet mark is pissed as fuck and knows exactly what tom's doing. tom feels that travis is too polite and wont say nothing to his stupid tweets so he posts that nonsense. it's just a matter of time when travis get sick of it and tells him how he really feels. 

to me it is so strange that delonge is desperately trying to get back but doesn't want to compromise, to be in the studio together, to write good songs, to sing well. more importantly the man himself said why the fuck i (tom) should spent so much time in the studio to write 10 new songs and then tour the old setlist for 9 months. first of all, they tour only 2 month's. what's up with that. he doesn't even know what he wants. 

you should kill me, you always know my reaction on the things like this, haha

4 hours ago, BigOilyMenInBlack said:

Hi.

Tom has a point. Yes, he's a little kooky, has a tendency to go off the deep end, and may not have fully psychologically processed this divorce yet - but he has a point, and if you think Mark doesn't have his own issues, you aren't really looking at the full picture. I mean, Mark is the guy who was legitimately jealous, depressed and heartbroken about Box Car Racer. It took him *years* to get over it, and honestly, part of him still might not be. Box Car didn't "create" drama in the band - Mark's weird overreaction to it did. 

Mark holds grudges. Mark engages in petty vengeance (remember when he released "No It Isn't" on Tom's birthday? Low blow.) Mark talks a lot of shit and airs a lot of private, personal problems. Tom usually takes the high ground and wants nothing but the best for Mark. I think, deep down, Mark's the same way - but boy, can he have a hard time showing it.

I think some of you need to get over this notion that Tom is "lying." His perspective is this: he got too busy to honor his commitments with Blink, and he had to back out to deal with all the other shit he has going on his life. He didn't expect this move to get him permanently kicked out of the band, and in his mind, that's not really something they can do to him - at least not without his blessing. Legally, ethically or otherwise.

Keep in mind, Tom isn't blasting them publicly, forcing them to go by "blink-182 with Matt Skiba," or anything like that. All things considered, he's being pretty cool about everything. And sure, at least part of the reason for that is probably that he feels more than a little bad about having to back out of all their plans - especially since this is far from the first time it's happened. 

Also, anyone who doesn't clearly smell the other forces at work here -- that Mark isn't too fond of Tom's new songwriting and vibe -- just isn't looking at this whole situation properly. Mark doesn't necessarily want to be in a band with a Wannabe Bono who writes songs about magical love children from space. And who could blame him? But he doesn't emphasize this point, because creative differences of this sort are a lot harder to back up as a reason to kick someone out of his own band. He needs to frame Tom as at "fault," and simply having different musical persuasions isn't exactly a culpability issue on Tom's part. Put differently: Mark is sort of acting like he gets to dictate what the band sounds like, even though it's a songwriting partnership. Is Tom a bit of a control freak too? Absolutely, but somehow he managed to work out those issues without replacing Mark with the bassist of Coldplay or something.

I'm not saying Mark's "fault" frame is disingenuous at all. But I think it's obvious that he'd be willing to put up with Tom's flakeyness a lot more if he was still writing songs like "All the Small Things" or "Dysentery Gary." And yes, he'd also be willing to compromise with Tom creatively if Tom were a bit more committal. Both issues are at play, and that's just reality. So I wouldn't buy into this whole "Tom's a mess" frame as much as some of you seem to be - that's what they have to say in order to move on as a band. There's clearly a genuine creative difference going on too. And frankly, what Travis said recently -- that he and Mark didn't wanna bum Tom out by telling him they didn't like his long, U2ish intros and AvA vibes -- is telling that maybe they could've tried a little hard to compromise with a guy before they rag on him for being uncompromising.

I don't think we've seen the last of Mark, Tom and Travis on the same stage. I also wouldn't be too surprised to see a Box Car reunion in the next year or two - even if it's just a couple shows. Travis seems totally fine with Tom, and it's something a lot of fans would like to see.

Tom's a good dude. Sure, he's a bit nuts sometimes, but he means well and anyone who's spent time with him can tell you that he has a good heart and loves making his fans happy. He's one hell of a songwriter, and hey, we're all here in a forum based on a band that he started. Props to Tom for living his dream and I hope he's back with blink-182 at some point soon - but I think that may take a few years, at least.

Also - cut the guy some slack on the whole alien/government thing. He's making a documentary with John Podesta - who is in charge of Hillary's campaign and used to be Bill Clinton's chief of staff. He really is studying this issue in a serious way with people who have had major top secret clearances. Yes, I know, it's a little nutty - but I don't see anyone telling Hillary to fire Podesta for being schizophrenic or something. People smarter, saner and better than any of us believe in aliens, too.

In the meantime, I also wish Mark, Matt and Travis well, and I'm stoked to hear the album they've made.

Kari?

4 hours ago, dyls5 said:

I find it ridiculous that so many people think they know exactly what's going on between Tom and Travis. No one knows a thing at all. Lets just see what actually happens. Fuck, they might even record an album together that's not Blink.

Mark would be so happy!

BigOilyMenInBlack is too good a username to be Tom itself, because Tom can't even remember the track listing of one of his most successful record, nor half the lyrics of songs he's repeatedly sung his entire career, why on earth would he remember BigOilyMen enough to use it? also I agree that the english is too good in the post to be him and there's no terrible attempts at juvenile humour.

It may very well be some firm ToTheStars employee, who knows.

I think the "Mark kicked Tom out over creative differences" angle is totally absurd, because if he felt like that at all the last 13 years of blinks career would not have happened. He wrote some dark ass stuff on self titled, without Tom he continued that trend with +44 and went straight back at it on Neighbourhoods and the EP. He may have felt some pressure to write more seriously after the success of untitled but I thoroughly doubt he would have committed to it wholly if he didn't want to.

I think the reason California is taking a step back is because he just wants to have fun, get back in touch with what made blink what it is. its spent years being essentially prostituted on stage by someone who barely resembles the Tom he formed the band with, I'm sure a part of it is like a mid-life crisis - some people buy penis replacement sports cars, Mark takes blink back to enema days.

What is evident regardless of intimate knowledge of the band is that Tom did not commit himself to blink, used it for money, never took it seriously on stage or even put the slightest bit of effort into it, used it as a marketing platform for his other ventures including the band that split blink up in the first place.

I don't think Mark has been a saint, I'm sure his documented jealousy over BCR caused problems in the blink camp, but Mark loves blink, and if he was so cold about it he would have desperately held on to any version of him he could to keep the expected money rolling in. To carry on as blink after allegedly kicking Tom out was a giant gamble financially. not just because fans may not invest, but because it was literally costing BlinkCorp money to pay Tom off ontop of everything else they had to invest in. 

Also, in regards to the tweet, the whole reason Tom did that was to wink at everyone that him and Travis are indeed in contact. Travis's response means very little and theres a possibility he didn't even see the train wreck Tom posted. either that or Travis is guest drumming on the next AVA or something daft, its not going to be something to seriously worry over. although I will say, if Tom had said something outrageous it would take some serious legal team wrangling to stop Travis flying off the handle. he's never been the most calm and composed person when it came to social media.

Having a album out in less than 10 days followed by a huge tour should be the really important thing to talk about right now. Some of you really look way too much into the whole Tom drama.

Let's just enjoy what Blink is right now...let's get ready for action!

After all of this fucking shit, I swear to God if they EVER let Tom back in the band after continuing to shit on the band like this, I'd rage. I can't see him being on stage at all again with Mark at this point. It's like junior high lunch hour with this band right now.  Tom's mad because he isn't allowed to sit at the same table as the popular kids, so he keeps talking shit while everyone else is trying to move on with life.  Go make a band with your so called CIA friends you delusional asshole. That checkbook must be getting low again.