The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

He loves the band, but hates the grind, but still owns it. What an absolute lazy ass hole.

Wish I could say, "i love my job, but hate showing up every day, so i'll quit and have someone replace me, but i still work there! i still get paid!"

• Like 6

The Tom Delonge guide to Marketing and Relevancy -

- Say something mental to gain enough attention for an interview

- talk about how hes too busy for blink because of X big announcement he'll announce soon

- then plug as many of his other projects as much as possible

- End with some snide comment like "oh blink can do their music thing, I'm happy for them - I'm just more into super creative and important super space stuff because I'm deep and uncovering great mysteries, but whatever".

• Like 9

I do think the touring was a big reason he kept putting Blink off. With Blink being the machine it is, you're obviously going to make an album and follow that up with a huge tour. I would hate sitting in a bus all day and waking up in a different city hundreds of miles away from my family/dogs. Combine that with Tom feeling like a "robot" playing the same songs every night (Kurt Cobain had a similar revelation and was going to quit Nirvana because of this) and you can see why he got "burned out". 

I spoke with a dude who was backstage at Tom's last show with Blink, and he said Tom was a dick and was constantly complaining about his back pain and asking for Advil...which anyone who has back issues knows it is NOT fun and I would not want to be traveling or standing around at shows all day.

I do think he keeps busy with these projects, but I also think he's lazy. In both the live streams I've seen he has said he does not want to do work (which was writing a scene of this movie), and was avoiding it. If he's that lazy sitting in an office in San Diego on his own time, I can only imagine how difficult it is to try to get him on a "schedule" on someone else's time.

I have no problem with Tom, I just wish he would shut up with the "I own Blink and can rejoin whenever" stuff. It's just a sad cry for attention, which he supposedly doesn't need according to him. (I personally think they're funny and worthy of mini "meltdown" titles). I don't think he's clinically insane like some here do, but I don't think he does himself any favors with how he handles himself publicly.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ryan1125 said:

I do think the touring was a big reason he kept putting Blink off. With Blink being the machine it is, you're obviously going to make an album and follow that up with a huge tour. I would hate sitting in a bus all day and waking up in a different city hundreds of miles away from my family/dogs. Combine that with Tom feeling like a "robot" playing the same songs every night (Kurt Cobain had a similar revelation and was going to quit Nirvana because of this) and you can see why he got "burned out". 

When you're as rich as the Blink guys are, you can bring your entire life with you.  Look at what Travis does.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I bet getting chauffeured around the country in a luxury bus and having to play guitar every night for thousands of people who love you is such a grind.  

What a miserable life.  

The real irony is all he ever did with blink besides a half assed recording attempt with Neighborhoods and DED was TOUR. Pretty much all Tom wanted to do was tour because that's where the money was at.

Then he goes and complains about getting bored with the grind of touring. It's ridiculous. Dude is a joke.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ryan1125 said:

I spoke with a dude who was backstage at Tom's last show with Blink, and he said Tom was a dick and was constantly complaining about his back pain and asking for Advil...which anyone who has back issues knows it is NOT fun and I would not want to be traveling or standing around at shows all day.

I do think he keeps busy with these projects, but I also think he's lazy. In both the live streams I've seen he has said he does not want to do work (which was writing a scene of this movie), and was avoiding it. If he's that lazy sitting in an office in San Diego on his own time, I can only imagine how difficult it is to try to get him on a "schedule" on someone else's time.

I have no problem with Tom, I just wish he would shut up with the "I own Blink and can rejoin whenever" stuff. It's just a sad cry for attention, which he supposedly doesn't need according to him. (I personally think they're funny and worthy of mini "meltdown" titles). I don't think he's clinically insane like some here do, but I don't think he does himself any favors with how he handles himself publicly.

I can believe this, he complained about his back to me as well when I met him.

But I actually think the touring for him was easy money and he'd have kept on doing it if Blink was happy with being a tribute band.

Notice how he didn't pull out till they wanted him to write another album?

I would call Tom Delonge a lot of things - but lazy would not be one of them. Egocentric and mismanaged is much different than lazy. The dude hustled to get where he is today. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

When you're as rich as the Blink guys are, you can bring your entire life with you.  Look at what Travis does.

Yeah but then you start robbing your kids of their childhood. I wouldn't want my kids getting home-schooled on a bus all year with no friends. If he was on tour with Blink right now, he'd be missing all his kid's baseball games. Most good Dads I know do anything they can to get to those. Also, Tom's dogs are big as fuck LOL. Everyone has their comfort zone, Tom's admittedly shy and wanting to do other things, whereas Travis is a drum fiend and just wants to play live music all day every day.

If I had plenty of money and genuinely felt like a robot singing cheesy songs to teens, then I'd probably just enjoy my mansion, family, and small art projects in San Diego as well. Especially if I was still getting paid to NOT work lol.

Just now, Olidamus said:

I can believe this, he complained about his back to me as well when I met him.

But I actually think the touring for him was easy money and he'd have kept on doing it if Blink was happy with being a tribute band.

Notice how he didn't pull out till they wanted him to write another album?

BINGO!!! We have a winner!!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mau5 said:

I would call Tom Delonge a lot of things - but lazy would not be one of them. Egocentric and mismanaged is much different than lazy. The dude hustled to get where he is today. 

You are comparing pre 2005 Tom to now, not smart. I would not say he's lazy, he certainly does stuff. But it amounts to stupid hobbies, so that is basically unemployment.

1 minute ago, Olidamus said:

Nope, not normal. Not in a band setting where a big part of why the band is a success is because of that individual.

lol, I know that silly. I'm talking about in the way you run a business. You hire underlings to do things you don't want or have to do. He's done well for himself, he's making bank doing nothing. Like most successful businesses.

Tom "does stuff" as in he has a million projects that OTHER people do for him.

He hasn't really done anything without others doing the heavy lifting since around the Neighborhoods time.