The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

5 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Easily?  I doubt it.  Maybe he could beg and plead and they might take pity on him and let him back in, but even if he did, I doubt they'd take him back at this point.  They were strung along by his bullshit for too long, they wouldn't just welcome the guy back with open arms at this point.  I'm really surprised you actually believe it would be so easy for Tom to get back in the band at this point.

I bet they would if the money was right...

2 minutes ago, M!ke said:

I mean don't you remember when he was first kicked out and he said, he didn't quit the band and everything was just a misunderstanding?   Then why didn't he get back in the band?  Cuz he was booted. He can't just come back at any time he wants, despite what he tells his twitter followers.  It sounds like he said in one email or something that he quit, and they were able to get him out of the band in a legal sense with that one email.

Sounds like Tom was right again, he wasn't kicked out because they can't do that.

Just now, _Kyle_ said:

I bet they would if the money was right...

I mean if they're struggling right now with Skiba compared to how they were doing with Tom during the Neighborhoods and DED days, then maybe.  But even if they're making less (not a ton less, but less all the same) than those days, they might just like the less insane atmosphere and more reliable musician in Skiba these days over Tom and happily take such a pay cut (if there even truly is one, which I'm not sure of).

10 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Sounds like Tom was right again, he wasn't kicked out because they can't do that.

He quit.  And they were able to keep him out when they did.  If you're a shitty employee, but still do enough not to get fired, but then one day say that you quit, the employer is in no way obligated to hire you back if you change your mind after saying you quit, especially if there is a record of you saying you quit.  That should be pretty obvious honestly.

10 minutes ago, M!ke said:

I mean if they're struggling right now with Skiba compared to how they were doing with Tom during the Neighborhoods and DED days, then maybe.  But even if they're making less (not a ton less, but less all the same) than those days, they might just like the less insane atmosphere and more reliable musician in Skiba these days over Tom and happily take such a pay cut (if there even truly is one, which I'm not sure of).

What I'm saying is that if Tom talked to Travis, said let him back in, he will grind it out, put out music, make moneys, Travis absolutely would. Mark, maybe. I think Mark is big enough to do what's right and let Tom and his fanbase enjoy each other again. Tom won't because he's trying to do something else, but I think it's fairly possible.

9 minutes ago, M!ke said:

He quit.  And they were able to keep him out when they did.  If you're a shitty employee, but still do enough not to get fired, but then one day say that you quit, the employer is in no way obligated to hire you back if you change your mind after saying you quit, especially if there is a record of you saying you quit.  That should be pretty obvious honestly.

He says he didn't quit, but his manager said he wasn't recording and done with the band for now. He didn't "quit". hence why he's still tethered.

5 minutes ago, Clarke said:

Just putting it out there that ghent called me a Tombot when I said I didn't think Tom was mentally ill.

Apparently stating the facts makes you a tombot around here.

3 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

What I'm saying is that if Tom talked to Travis, said let him back in, he will grind it out, put out music, make moneys, Travis absolutely would. Mark, maybe. I think Mark is big enough to do what's right and let Tom and his fanbase enjoy each other again. Tom won't because he's trying to do something else, but I think it's fairly possible.

I don't know enough to say with certainty, but I really think they put up with a lot of Tom bullshit on a personal level for way too long especially after they got back together (not to mention how he clearly must have been behaving prior to them breaking up in 2005).  Lets not forget that the followup to Dogs Eating Dogs was supposed to come out in 2013, and if Tom was still in the band was likely not going to come out in 2015 even, and that its due to Tom's inability to meet up that Neighborhoods came out in 2011 instead of the summer of 2009 like the original plan.  To try and work with someone that unreliable that was responsible for projects being delayed 2 years or more from even starting is not efficient and probably a bit of a nightmare.  And while there are the fans that don't want Tom gone, there are also the fans that are glad that he's out.  At this point they can't appease every fan, so they're just gonna keep doing what feels right and best for them.  To me it then makes sense why letting Tom back in the band wouldn't be something they'd entertain any time soon.  Perhaps if Tom did something to prove to Mark how reliable he could be (again this is part of why I think a new BCR release might happen as a backdoor attempt by Tom to get back in blink), they might consider at that point letting him back in.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

He says he didn't quit, but his manager said he wasn't recording and done with the band for now. He didn't "quit". hence why he's still tethered.

yeah, its a real he-said, she-said.  Frankly I believe Mark and Travis over Tom and his manager these days, but its "possible" that he didn't really quit.  Even still, he could come and say he wants back in blink, but nothing is forcing Mark and Travis to work with him, and I think Tom knows that at this point, they just don't want to be in a band with him, hence why he seems to look on the band and weirdly reply to tweets that Mark makes and things like that, he still cares about what that band did for him, but knows he's not welcome in the band anymore, honestly that's gotta be pretty damn hard.  

1 minute ago, Clarke said:

I'd almost compare the whole situation to a divorce, where Mark gets to keep the house that Tom built.

Tom and Mark built.  Lets not kid ourselves, blink would never have become the band it is were it not for Tom and Mark.  Tom's insistence that he created the whole band with his two hands, is indicative of the greater behind the scenes problem: he wanted full control of the band.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

What I'm saying is that if Tom talked to Travis, said let him back in, he will grind it out, put out music, make moneys, Travis absolutely would. Mark, maybe. I think Mark is big enough to do what's right and let Tom and his fanbase enjoy each other again. 

Agree that Trav would probably give in, but I don't think Mark would.... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, go fuck yourself and write an alien book. 

3 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

He won't say he "quits" because he's part owner, so obviously he's not going to throw away his position as a member of the Blink entity and forfeit his money. (and rightfully so). When Tom talks about Blink and his position, it is purely on the legal/ownership side... when Mark and most of us talk about it, we are talking about the actual "band" that is currently playing music. Tom is merely a minority shareholder of the Blink company at this point. I don't think they'll ever fully be able to get "rid" of him in regards to legal association with the "Blink-182" corporation, but he certainly doesn't have to have any affiliation or say-so with the company's current product which is Matt/Mark/Trav. 

Just now, Clarke said:

Yeah but I mean, if one of the two were the bigger breadwinner, then Tom takes that title. Of course it took the two of them (with Travis amplifying the success as well), but I think Tom had a greater influence on making the band reach the level it reached.

I personally don't know enough about what things were like behind the scenes in those early days to say definitively, but it seems like they were always a pretty equal band, I never viewed anyone as the "leader" of the band, everyone had a say, and as they've described it many times, writing new music was always a push and a pull of everyone giving their input which would morph the music until what they got was an amalgamation of all their ideas that almost always somehow worked.  

4 hours ago, Ghent said:

Just like how his tweet about the "ocean blue" came out the day California leaked and he heard San Diego.

I say it was definitely a reference to Mark's tweet. Too much of a coincidence.

Is this what you're talking about? I didn't see anything about the "ocean blue" or referencing Blink around the time of the leak or the actual release

8 minutes ago, ryan1125 said:

Agree that Trav would probably give in, but I don't think Mark would.... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, go fuck yourself and write an alien book. 

He won't say he "quits" because he's part owner, so obviously he's not going to throw away his position as a member of the Blink entity and forfeit his money. (and rightfully so). When Tom talks about Blink and his position, it is purely on the legal/ownership side... when Mark and most of us talk about it, we are talking about the actual "band" that is currently playing music. Tom is merely a minority shareholder of the Blink company at this point. I don't think they'll ever fully be able to get "rid" of him in regards to legal association with the "Blink-182" corporation, but he certainly doesn't have to have any affiliation or say-so with the company's current product which is Matt/Mark/Trav. 

Well it seems somebody has some hostility towards Tom. Sounds like you just don't dig the idea of him coming back, which is a very real possibility. Try to look at the facts. He's still apart of the whole operation. If Mark was that adamant, he'd be gone. He would of bought him out long ago.

Tom will forever be in blink according to him, no matter how much that hurts Mark's bank account. When it comes to these guys, it's all about money.

14 minutes ago, M!ke said:

yeah, its a real he-said, she-said.  Frankly I believe Mark and Travis over Tom and his manager these days, but its "possible" that he didn't really quit.  Even still, he could come and say he wants back in blink, but nothing is forcing Mark and Travis to work with him, and I think Tom knows that at this point, they just don't want to be in a band with him, hence why he seems to look on the band and weirdly reply to tweets that Mark makes and things like that, he still cares about what that band did for him, but knows he's not welcome in the band anymore, honestly that's gotta be pretty damn hard.  

It's not a real he-said, she-said in that there is no she. But really, you gotta be naïve to think Mark would let him stay if he didn't have legal precedent.

9 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

It's not a real he-said, she-said in that there is no she. But really, you gotta be naïve to think Mark would let him stay if he didn't have legal precedent.

Its an expression, and you know that haha.  But you're right, I don't think Mark would let Tom stay in the band if he tried to come back at this point, I definitely agree with that.  Hence why I think Tom is gonna try to do more BCR within the next 5 years as an attempt to get an in with Travis and at the same time show Mark that he is reliable, and maybe pressure Travis into talking Mark into the idea of it.  I don't think its a terrible idea to try and get back into blink (ironic given that BCR was a leading factor in blink's ultimate breakup in '05), but I also don't think it would work.  Well maybe if its on the later end of 5 years that might be enough time coupled with such a display that might convince Mark to be ok with welcoming Tom back into the band, but I'm not holding my breath honestly (not that I particularly care one way or the other at this point, maybe they could still be OK with Tom again, but he's gotta make some changes for me to really be psyched about such an idea).

The biggest problem of this band has always been communication. If you're Mark and you're pissed off because Tom has been postponing a new album for 4 years, just tell him that he can't do shit like that or you would go on with the band without him. He didn't tell him because it was probably something he couldn't do, but still, just tell him anyway, are you afraid of hurting his feelings? They never set things straight after the reunion and never really talked to each others. It was eveyone's fault. 
But what can you do when you're in a band where the members only see each others before going on stage and never have studio time together. Even on tour, they've always been apart from each other all the time, they still are now with Skiba and don't believe that Mark and Travis hang out together when they're in LA because it's pure fantasy. 
Communication has always been a problem so it doesn't really matter if Tom says to the manager that he couldn't commit for good or just for that record in early 2015 and Musink, because it was something they should have discussed together months and months before getting to that point.
If you're in a band and you don't talk but at the same time you want Tom out - but you can't kick him out because it's his own band too - then what happened in 2015 was kinda the only solution that isn't really a solution. Just don't blame Tom for everything because it was obvious that he didn't want to commit, but I still believe that things can be saved if you really want to and if you communicate.. well, the last time they tried to tell each others how they felt, it was 2004 and we all know what happened.

Keeping this band alive was like fighting a losing battle, now things should be great but we have Mark that wants us to believe that he cares so much but he does the minimum amount of effort to get things done and that makes me think otherwise, so I honestly don't know how I'm supposed to feel about blink. 

• Like 3