The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

I'm actually really excited to hear that album (is he doing an entire acoustic WDNTW album?). Sounds like he's put a lot of effort into it. Just not overly keen on all the extra effects and production he's put into it, but we'll see.

I'm hoping this whole experience has been humbling for Tom and he can get back on track and put more effort into his music. I hope he has the sense that he needs to re-establish himself, because that motivation could result in some pretty good music. 

• Like 1

So I finally watched the pursuit of tone.

My opinion of Tom hasn't exactly changed, but I admire his passion a little more. The main thing I get from it though is that his passion for it and his bravery attempting these new things is admirable... but he's missed the part where he isn't actually that good at any of it. It's impressive in regards to the effort he puts in, but the actual output is incredibly mediocre - because he can listen to scholars all he wants, read as many physics books as he likes, at the end of it all he isn't *that* bright. He's a passionate dude with a buttload of money. and that's fine, it's just a shame he didn't have the talent and intelligence to back it up. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Kay said:

So I finally watched the pursuit of tone.

My opinion of Tom hasn't exactly changed, but I admire his passion a little more. The main thing I get from it though is that his passion for it and his bravery attempting these new things is admirable... but he's missed the part where he isn't actually that good at any of it. It's impressive in regards to the effort he puts in, but the actual output is incredibly mediocre - because he can listen to scholars all he wants, read as many physics books as he likes, at the end of it all he isn't *that* bright. He's a passionate dude with a buttload of money. and that's fine, it's just a shame he didn't have the talent and intelligence to back it up. 

I really loved the doc. He just didn't wanna keep doing the Blink status quo. The way he handled it was really really shitty but I don't blame him for "finding it hard as hell to commit"

• Like 1

On 6/30/2017 at 7:55 AM, Ghent said:

Just read it again and can't help but laugh..unbelievable that he wrote this e-mail to John Podesta lol

I know you are so busy- So I apologize in advance. I ask that you consider reading my Foreword. I wrote this as a personal letter to the youth, so they can walk with me through all of this. When you read it, you will get that same sense- a wide-eyed and respectful experience. Also, you make an invisible appearance within the text at the end. :)

My Co-Author is a Distinguished Professor at the Robertson School of Shakespeare and NY Times best-selling Author.... Basically, he's really f-ing good. Elevated writing, and award-worthy if he wasn't attached to my name, too. Ha-

You may actually love the book- If you like great stuff and have amazing taste. But until then, check out that foreword if you find time in all the madness.

Best, Tom DeLonge

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Clarkerpes said:

I'm actually really excited to hear that album (is he doing an entire acoustic WDNTW album?). Sounds like he's put a lot of effort into it. Just not overly keen on all the extra effects and production he's put into it, but we'll see.

I'm hoping this whole experience has been humbling for Tom and he can get back on track and put more effort into his music. I hope he has the sense that he needs to re-establish himself, because that motivation could result in some pretty good music. 

As much as I would like that  he seems still super focused on his "art" projects and he's about to film a movie so I doubt music will be his top priority for awhile. My guess is the acoustic album is fan service bc he needs the money. He seems to be putting in effort though which is good. I'm pretty pumped for it myself 

Tom just did a live stream at the studio finishing the acoustic album. He said "contrary to public opinion, I'm actually a musician first and foremost except when I'm doing all my other work." Then he said they're going straight into strange times when they finish the acoustic album and it'll be more punk. Then he played a clip of do it for me now and made a joke about Matt's corporate job and it ended.

2 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Matt's corporate job?

Yeah he said Matt has a corporate job on the east coast that he has to dress up for lol. But he said he might try to fly him out and get him to play on the acoustic record. I figured Matt was hurting financially when he sold all his AVA stuff a few years ago on eBay and was joking about how he has nowhere near what his "net worth' said he had on Google.

23 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Matt's corporate job?

I thought this was well known? He moved to I think the Pennsylvania area in 2012 after the band's last tour to work for a pharmaceutical/med tech company. I think he got into it from family ties from what I remember, and he works in sales. The band didn't make enough money to support the members full time since Tom was doing blink most of the time they could tour, especially with the California cost of living. Matt had two newborns to support around this time too. Also why David opened the coffee shop around the same time.

1 hour ago, NotNow said:

I thought this was well known? He moved to I think the Pennsylvania area in 2012 after the band's last tour to work for a pharmaceutical/med tech company. I think he got into it from family ties from what I remember, and he works in sales. The band didn't make enough money to support the members full time since Tom was doing blink most of the time they could tour, especially with the California cost of living. Matt had two newborns to support around this time too. Also why David opened the coffee shop around the same time.

This is also the reason why Atom left.. In a way, blink killed AVA. They were a functional band before the blink reunion