The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

I feel like Tom DeLonge is more of an accidental genius than a proper one. I mean this is the guy who made a career out of writing some idiotic songs, then he started being more serious and it some how clicked, especially with BCR and the smiley face album. Then he just tried way too hard with AVA as well as somehow had some kind of personality transplant.

He kinda reminds me of when Butters in South Park became a famous author for writing two books (although the first book he didn't write, but took credit for it). Obviously an exaggeration but his rise to fame is more accidental. The guy wasn't even trying. Just like Butters in South Park. There's some kind of genius in that IMO, but anything he's done recently, is borderline crazy (although I still enjoy some of his recent work, especially Dream Walker & Chasing Shadows).

But I agree with the poster above. If Tom DeLonge is genius, then Billie Joe is the smartest man alive, possibly even the next coming of Jesus Christ.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

I feel like Tom DeLonge is more of an accidental genius than a proper one. I mean this is the guy who made a career out of writing some idiotic songs, then he started being more serious and it some how clicked, especially with BCR and the smiley face album. Then he just tried way too hard with AVA as well as somehow had some kind of personality transplant.

He kinda reminds me of when Butters in South Park became a famous author for writing two books (although the first book he didn't write, but took credit for it). Obviously an exaggeration but his rise to fame is more accidental. The guy wasn't even trying. Just like Butters in South Park. There's some kind of genius in that IMO, but anything he's done recently, is borderline crazy (although I still enjoy some of his recent work, especially Dream Walker & Chasing Shadows).

But I agree with the poster above. If Tom DeLonge is genius, then Billie Joe is the smartest man alive, possibly even the next coming of Jesus Christ.

Yes, thank you! This is it. Now that Tom is trying, he's failing more often than not. But I do really like Dream Walker. He's no true genius, but is green day making a real comeback after bombing with uno dos tre?  Curious, i do hear their single all the time when I do decide to check out the FM radio.

It's not really a matter of trying hard or too hard IMO.  Tom always seemed to try hard behind the scenes coming up with all his unique ideas and styles.  It's more just the common cause of 'starting to smell yourself' too much.  You have these great, somewhat genius new ideas, and then when people start to praise it, they start to smell themselves too much and fall off the deep-end thinking EVERY idea they make is genius,  not just the the few that actually clicked with others.  This is the life of many artists.  Quentin Tarantino comes to mind.   Instead of facing the criticism and confusion as to why their new ideas don't work, many will just surround themselves with yes men instead and refuse to go back to focusing as hard.

• Like 1

lol it's alternative press.

i think tom was a middling guitar player with a knack for writing melodic and catchy riffs. the type of music he made was not only already accessible but en vogue in the 1990s so he got filthy rich and famous doing it. then he took too many drugs and lost his mind a little bit. now he's convinced he's a genius artist and lacks any self-awareness. pieces like these don't help this

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Pretty much. I always thought that Tom changed way more things, minds and people without trying, compared to the time in which he really tryed it (AVA).

Also, about the genious thing... what's exactly a 'proper geious'? I don't think there's a proper one. In fact, that's the big mistery of all geniouses: it's a gift you can't explain (each own on its own level). Some may be more spectacular that others, but it's something anyone can explain.

So he was a crappy student who claims to have degrees from universities who have no record of him, he was arrested for being involved in a prostitution ring and he's another alien conspiracy nut? Don't really think that's news at this point.

Hah hah, once again Tom sure knows how to pick his sources. According to wikipedia:

Regarding the propulsion of the studied vehicles, Lazar claims that the atomic element 115, at that time not discovered, served as the fuel, and that this was used to generate gravity waves.

He made this claim in 1989, long before the element was actually synthesized in 2003, because he knew he could not be immediately refuted. Only about 100 atoms' worth of the element has been produced so far, and it decays basically instantly by emitting an alpha particle (a helium nucleus), thus making it completely useless as a fuel. Even someone with only fringe knowledge of physics would immediately recognize the man as a professional liar, but Tom probably believes everything he says. What a "genius".

10 hours ago, MSandt said:

Hah hah, once again Tom sure knows how to pick his sources. According to wikipedia:

Regarding the propulsion of the studied vehicles, Lazar claims that the atomic element 115, at that time not discovered, served as the fuel, and that this was used to generate gravity waves.

He made this claim in 1989, long before the element was actually synthesized in 2003, because he knew he could not be immediately refuted. Only about 100 atoms' worth of the element has been produced so far, and it decays basically instantly by emitting an alpha particle (a helium nucleus), thus making it completely useless as a fuel. Even someone with only fringe knowledge of physics would immediately recognize the man as a professional liar, but Tom probably believes everything he says. What a "genius".

Not saying your wrong, but what is your background in physics I ask?