The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

Seeing Tom posting all this padres stuff just makes me think leaving blink and doing the to the stars stuff was just his way of easing into retirement and spending all his time with his family. People (especially those that can retire early) generally don’t just flat out retire one day. They do some smaller venture that’s not a lot of work until they’re ready to just stop working all together. I think it’s cool that toms gotten so into baseball for his kid when he clearly never liked sports his whole life before.

Idk how you guys can determine so much about someone's character because of their Instagram posts.  I love Tom, crazy or not, and his baseball stuff, but some of the most 'likeable' people on social media are the biggest narcissists their close ones actually hate.  As soft and weak and embarrassing and lame and pathetic as Mark has become musically, I'll still always trust him more than Tom on what happened. 

I feel Tom is the most genuine out of them all, yeah he is a bit mental and at times can border on being batshit crazy but I feel he is just himself and doesn't give a shit about what people say about him which I think is pretty cool.

Matt is a guitarbot for hire.
Travis just loves drumming generally (not blink specific), he'd probably drum to a mixtape of my farts if I asked him too. 
Mark is just an annoying old man now, cracking shite Dad jokes and is obsessed with staying relevant rather than making interesting music. 

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

I feel Tom is the most genuine out of them all, yeah he is a bit mental and at times can border on being batshit crazy but I feel he is just himself and doesn't give a shit about what people say about him which I think is pretty cool.

Travis just loves drumming generally (not blink specific), he'd probably drum to a mixtape of my farts if I asked him too. 
Mark is just an annoying old man now, cracking shite Dad jokes and is obsessed with staying relevant rather than making interesting music. 

From what’s shared on social media, Mark seems to be the one that became the most absorbed with the posh and elitist lifestyle of being a multimillionaire. Tom doesn’t come off that way to me even if he’s an asshole to people in his band. Tom’s clearly certifiably insane, but he still seems the most down to earth from what the wealth’s given them perspective. All just speculation from what they share of their lives on social media, I’m not saying this is objectively true.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

I'd really love someone to ask Travis Barker that question haha

15 minutes ago, NotNow said:

From what’s shared on social media, Mark seems to be the one that became the most absorbed with the posh and elitist lifestyle of being a multimillionaire. Tom doesn’t come off that way to me even if he’s an asshole to people in his band. Tom’s clearly certifiably insane, but he still seems the most down to earth from what the wealth’s given them perspective. All just speculation from what they share of their lives on social media, I’m not saying this is objectively true.

mark's definitely living the wealthy lifestyle, but he still seems more down to earth to me than anyone else in the band. he's just a guy who only wanted to play music with his friends. tom might spend a lot of time with family, but IMO he shouldn't be praised for attending his son's ball games (what any parent should do). his whole MO is to rip people off via this "company" and he's a raging egotist. all three seem like very present parents which is wonderful, but in terms of down to earth, i wouldn't call a man who claims to have access to military secrets and "will not be contained" creatively as down to earth lol

and good point at the end. we've followed these people for a long time, so we have some authority on it, but we're only seeing the filtered version still.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, boxelder said:

mark's definitely living the wealthy lifestyle, but he still seems more down to earth to me than anyone else in the band. he's just a guy who only wanted to play music with his friends. tom might spend a lot of time with family, but IMO he shouldn't be praised for attending his son's ball games (what any parent should do). his whole MO is to rip people off via this "company" and he's a raging egotist. all three seem like very present parents which is wonderful, but in terms of down to earth, i wouldn't call a man who claims to have access to military secrets and "will not be contained" creatively as down to earth lol

and good point at the end. we've followed these people for a long time, so we have some authority on it, but we're only seeing the filtered version still.

I don’t see it. Mark certainly seemed that way for years that he was the most down to earth with regards to just wanting to play music with his friends, but with the direction he’s taken blink since Tom left, I don’t see that. I see someone that loves blink, but wants to make sure it’s as commercially viable as possible to the point it could end up hurting their legacy. I don’t see that as down to earth. And his mightier than thou attitude on twitter and social status stuff he definitely does not come across as down to earth to me at least. Tom insane, but seems down to earth. Mark not insane, but not down to Earth. Travis is just Travis, you can’t fit him into a category lol. He’s a bit of everything.

9 minutes ago, prankerd14 said:

You all watch one funny video of tom and now think hes genuine, humble and amasing lol...

Go back and watch the joe rogan podcast and tell me toms the most sane and normal!

Like I said, he’s literally insane. Out of his mind. The two can be mutually exclusive 

Tom definitely isn't down to earth IMO. Definitely a good family man/father by the sounds of it though. But you have to remember this is the same guy that wanted Travis out of the band. The same guy that was claiming to be booking blink-182 shows as he was getting kicked out of the band. The same guy that wasn't listening to the final mixes of the Neighborhoods songs and was misleading blink-182 fans for years, as well as Mark & Travis.

Some of it can't be helped, cause he is a bit crazy (I don't think he's mentally ill though like some have claimed). But we also have to remember that Tom was always the most likeable guy out of all 3 members during his time with blink. He's still got all the traits that we love about him, his humour and all. So most blink fans are gonna appreciate the Tom jokes a bit more on social media etc, or anything that he does on a positive note.

I think if Travis wasn't the kind of guy to sleep around, he'd be the most down to earth guy. With his friends, his band mates and anyone he works with, he's very professional. Very reliable dude. I think anyone that is close to him, he's probably down to earth.

As for Mark, it's hard to tell. He's respectable, as well as a great family man and father by the sounds of it. But I can't help but find him a bit fake at times too. He can also be contradicting at times. Look at the +44 interviews compared to his interviews after 2009. He loves blink and their fans, but this is the same guy that once said it cannot be blink-182 without Tom. Yet that happened. He also once said there's no point in being a band if the band mates are working on the songs away from each other. Yet that happened with Neighborhoods. Also, on that second album he produced for that band, was it Motion City Soundtrack? They said he spent more time on his phone, focusing on social media than he did working with them on that album. That's not down to earth.

If I had to choose who to have as my friend, it'd probably be Travis. He's the most reliable and the most honest in my opinion.

• Like 1

I gotta agree with NotNow on most these assessments, but I gotta say... Mark's mightier than thou and fakeness, opt to sell out, can be super annoying at times, but imagine if things were on the other shoe and he was the one abandoning blink.  I'd reckon we'd miss his level headed ways and calmness a heck of a lot if not more.

When I saw Mark at sound check and during the meet and greet; one thing was apparently, his carefree joking self is all an act.

He is very business, very serious, very quiet, and very boring. Travis was the one laughing, making jokes, and slapping guitar techs in the ass with towels. Mark acted like he didn't want to be there, or he didn't want a crowd watching him sound check.

• Like 2