The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

On 5/21/2018 at 9:16 AM, Mau5 said:

After seeing the direction Mark is taking blink-182, no one can doubt why Tom felt the need to create BCR. California is the album that would have come out if Tom never made BCR and Mark was allowed to control where they went after TOYPAJ - it's extremely clear. 

Agree with this whole heartedly.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 12:56 PM, _Kyle_ said:

I think Mark even was shocked at how good it was.

i think that was the biggest issue with mark.

tom didn't need him.

and it was really, really good.

i think tom needed to get away because mark wanted to keep rewriting the same record every time and needed to do something different.

just my opinion. a lot of things at play in that time.

On 5/25/2018 at 7:01 AM, tom18222 said:

i think that was the biggest issue with mark.

tom didn't need him.

and it was really, really good.

i think tom needed to get away because mark wanted to keep rewriting the same record every time and needed to do something different.

just my opinion. a lot of things at play in that time.

Didn’t like the same thing happen with The Beach Boys? Didn’t Mike Love just want to keep writing the same surf songs over & over and Brian Wilson wanted to expand their sound with Pet Sounds? There was a quote that Mike said “Don’t f with the formula” but Brian wanted the band to grow.

i think we've gotten into this idea that mark was just completely stagnant. and i know he's said (in the LP reissue notes of TOYPAJ) that he'd have been comfortable making EOTS a second time, sure. but he recognizes, then and now, that the best work comes from the push and pull between the trio of them. i don't think mark is so unwilling or stuck in the past to make more progressive work. not only was he game on untitled, he wrote songs like fighting the gravity and HAG without tom's input on neighborhoods. cali was an obvious direction to take with feldmann at the helm, and it'd be unfortunate should it happen again. and it's definitely mark's comfort zone. but i'm not sold on this narrative that mark is or was ever holding the band back in terms of artistic progression. and he was certainly no mike love lol

• Like 3

Yeah, I've always thought Mark has wrote the more mature songs even from 94-02. He's definitely capable of the mature & dark songs still. Shows in California on some of the songs, although musically all the songs are a bit generic compared to +44/Neighborhoods. I definitely get the idea now that he'd rather be writing darker songs or whatever. Wasn't it like 4-5 years ago when he said that he can't write happy songs anymore? I remember reading something about that, saying he struggles to write happy songs now.

2 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Yeah, I've always thought Mark has wrote the more mature songs even from 94-02. He's definitely capable of the mature & dark songs still. Shows in California on some of the songs, although musically all the songs are a bit generic compared to +44/Neighborhoods. I definitely get the idea now that he'd rather be writing darker songs or whatever. Wasn't it like 4-5 years ago when he said that he can't write happy songs anymore? I remember reading something about that, saying he struggles to write happy songs now.

yup, that’s from this interview: https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/467233/qa-blink-182s-mark-hoppus-on-the-long-road-to-neighborhoods

we all know interviews can be full of BS, but looking at his work from back then, he definitely did write darker material. so perhaps i’m wrong on that cali is his comfort zone. the interview above leads me to believe that cali was getting out of the zone in which he wrote material from 2003-12, and attempting to get back to more carefree stuff. but as we know, he’s had tremendous writers block over the years, which led to him outsourcing it to feldy and a host of random songwriters that dropped by 

• Like 1

I have a friend who likes blink, I met him at their first show in Italy after the reunion and we've been friends ever since. He went to California on a holiday and when he visited Tom's shop in Encinitas, Tom was there. There were other people too that day so my friend was waiting in line to meet Tom and heard him promise to a girl that he will be back to blink very soon. 
Take it with a grain of salt, as usual, because we know that Tom is a broken record and he likes to tell people this kind of things. I still can't see him coming back to blink in any way anytime soon because they have the residency in Vegas until the end of the year, then there will be another album coming out with Skiba followed by a tour etc. etc. but it's still crazy that he's still saying that to almost everyone. Just thought I'd let you know. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

He said the same thing to someone at a book signing several months ago. He's probably either:

A: Just saying whatever needed to be nice and move the convo along.

or

B: Actually believes it, which is just sad and shows how out of touch with reality he is. 

As you mentioned, he's not gonna be anywhere near Blink for awhile. The funny thing is, he cared so little about Blink and put such little effort into it, that what he's doing now probably does feel like he's still in Blink, as it's not much different!

I'm still waiting on a Tom signed California CD to pop up, I'd pay $25 to watch someone approach him with that and see how he reacts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I still think Tom is being honest when he says he can "come back". I mean, in that he can legally get back into the band. Not meaning he can play with Mark and Travis just when he so chooses and pleases.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

He said the same thing to someone at a book signing several months ago. He's probably either:

A: Just saying whatever needed to be nice and move the convo along.

or

B: Actually believes it, which is just sad and shows how out of touch with reality he is. 

As you mentioned, he's not gonna be anywhere near Blink for awhile. The funny thing is, he cared so little about Blink and put such little effort into it, that what he's doing now probably does feel like he's still in Blink, as it's not much different!

I'm still waiting on a Tom signed California CD to pop up, I'd pay $25 to watch someone approach him with that and see how he reacts.

It would be amazing to see someone approach him with a California album asking for a signature. Pure gold. Please for the love of all of us, someone do it.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, horchata said:

It would be amazing to see someone approach him with a California album asking for a signature. Pure gold. Please for the love of all of us, someone do it.

Yes someone please record this!  I live in bumfuck Ohio or I'd try myself!

Jesus this article is a joke. It does Tom no favors, clearly he's just excited to have an article in the Washington Post and didn't read it too closely!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/ufos-are-suddenly-a-serious-news-story-you-can-thank-the-guy-from-blink-182-for-that/2018/05/30/8fce7100-441b-11e8-ad8f-27a8c409298b_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3307b6a51bfb

I love how the first thing about Tom's new venture is: 

"Tom Delonge says he wants to build a 'perpetual funding machine' to investigate UFOs and thereby advance our species."

...they they go on to say that TTS is basically posting blurry videos that other people have, and that one is a bird lol.

And then this one "Tom is more of a scientist who happens to be a talented musician." LMAO.

And this: "It seems to be getting off to a slow start. As of mid-March, To the Stars had raised $2.5 million from a few thousand investors — not quite enough to achieve faster-than-light travel or to solve whatever mystery is unfolding in the skies. DeLonge lent To the Stars $600,000 to get off the ground, and the company is required to pay him $100,000 in yearly royalty fees." 

Then immediately says the only thing they are selling is books, coffee mugs, clothing, and swag from AVA... 

4 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Jesus this article is a joke. It does Tom no favors, clearly he's just excited to have an article in the Washington Post and didn't read it too closely!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/ufos-are-suddenly-a-serious-news-story-you-can-thank-the-guy-from-blink-182-for-that/2018/05/30/8fce7100-441b-11e8-ad8f-27a8c409298b_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3307b6a51bfb

I love how the first thing about Tom's new venture is: 

"Tom Delonge says he wants to build a 'perpetual funding machine' to investigate UFOs and thereby advance our species."

...they they go on to say that TTS is basically posting blurry videos that other people have, and that one is a bird lol.

And then this one "Tom is more of a scientist who happens to be a talented musician." LMAO.

And this: "It seems to be getting off to a slow start. As of mid-March, To the Stars had raised $2.5 million from a few thousand investors — not quite enough to achieve faster-than-light travel or to solve whatever mystery is unfolding in the skies. DeLonge lent To the Stars $600,000 to get off the ground, and the company is required to pay him $100,000 in yearly royalty fees." 

Then immediately says the only thing they are selling is books, coffee mugs, clothing, and swag from AVA... 

Just a humble guy following his dreams.....lmao