The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

1 hour ago, MSandt said:

So the cool kids have now decided that the corollary to hating the Feldmann is being excited for a new Tom album, despite every inch of your body telling that it's going to suck just like everything else he's done recently.

I agree with Kay, it's not that anyone thinks it will be particularly GOOD, but things have changed quite a bit since we last heard music from him. Blink 1Feldy2 put out 30 songs that some of us found to be almost as bad as Tom's recent albums. Tom has spouted off about how Blink is still "his band" and he could return any time he wants. He's said his next album will have faster punk elements.

I think there's more of a curiosity to see if some sort of competitive nature comes back out in him, and if he can really put out coherent music again. If it's good that's just a bonus and we might luck into a weird rivalry where they put out some albums back and forth pushing themselves to "beat" the other one. I'm honestly not counting on ever hearing music from Tom again, especially GOOD music, but since Blink didn't really hold up their end of the bargain (in my opinion) it's hard to leave Tom's musical endeavors in the dust the way I planned to. I haven't given a shit about AVA in a decade but I'm intrigued even though I have very low expectations haha.

Just now, Reginald said:

I checked her instagram. She found this and wont share it. 

So it could just be a regular burned disk with a typed out tracklisting?  Cool.

Don't get me wrong, definitely interested, but it's just kinda like, if you find something like that, just post it, don't brag about having it just to show off.

5 minutes ago, theedge00 said:

Have a pic of that board?

It’s shown a few times if you look up MTV’s Album Launch on YouTube. 

The thing showed up on eBay about 5 years ago. I think it sold for around $750. It was too rich for me at the time but I regret not finding a way to win it. 

1 minute ago, LeeannTweedenUSMC said:

The thing showed up on eBay about 5 years ago. I think it sold for around $750. It was too rich for me at the time but I regret not finding a way to win it. 

I remember that!  Would have been an amazing piece to get!

13 minutes ago, LeeannTweedenUSMC said:

Ah ok, cool cool

7 hours ago, Kay said:

I think Tom is a money grabbing fruit cake who needs an actual handler to reign in his insanity, but the dude still knows how to write a song.

I doubt whatever he releases will be particularly good - it'll have awkward lyrics and the vocals will be terrible, but new blinks music with Feldmanns input is so bad that a new half assed EP with some synth from Tom is actually preferable for me. 

Well it's ultimately a matter of taste, but as far as I'm concerned the 20-odd songs Tom's written since he was kicked out of blink have been forgettable trash (with maybe two exceptions). Yeah, he still knows how to write catchy melodies and riffs, but as Angels songs they're left sounding pretentious, self-important and hollow. If anything, hearing a good melody on an Angels song only makes me pissed off at all the wasted potential.

Meanwhile, California 2 is an extremely solid record in my book.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MSandt said:

Well it's ultimately a matter of taste, but as far as I'm concerned the 20-odd songs Tom's written since he was kicked out of blink have been forgettable trash (with maybe two exceptions). Yeah, he still knows how to write catchy melodies and riffs, but as Angels songs they're left sounding pretentious, self-important and hollow. If anything, hearing a good melody on an Angels song only makes me pissed off at all the wasted potential.

This could easily be about California. They write 30 catchy songs, but end up sounding pretentious and hollow. Mark, skiba and Travis - talk about wasted potential. 

14 minutes ago, MSandt said:

I agree with the part about Tom. It's easy to forget that his post-Dogs Eating Dogs releases have been:

2016 - "Chasing Shadows"
2015 - "Demos Odds and Ends" and "Of Nightmares"
2014 - "The Dream Walker"

Those releases add up to 26 songs, weirdly just about the exact same amount of Blink songs we got in Cali 1 and 2. There wasn't much in those 26 songs indicating that he has anything good up his sleeve haha which puts him sadly right on par with Blink at the moment. So even though I don't have high expectations, I'm interested to see what he comes up with and what his direction is for his first material since the Californias came out.

... and Of Nightmares.

Both EPs and Dream Walker are better than California and all previous AVA releases imo. I know I'm alone on that though. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

I agree with the part about Tom. It's easy to forget that his post-Dogs Eating Dogs releases have been:

2016 - "Chasing Shadows"
2015 - "Demos Odds and Ends" and "Of Nightmares"
2014 - "The Dream Walker"

Those releases add up to 26 songs, weirdly just about the exact same amount of Blink songs we got in Cali 1 and 2. There wasn't much in those 26 songs indicating that he has anything good up his sleeve haha which puts him sadly right on par with Blink at the moment. So even though I don't have high expectations, I'm interested to see what he comes up with and what his direction is for his first material since the Californias came out.

I honestly like TDW more than California. Demos of the album are also fun, cool ideas. Demos odds and ends is pure trash. Chasing Shadows has wasted potential. 

• Like 1