The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

On 8/16/2018 at 12:42 PM, Kay said:

all the songs sound identical, delay simple U2 style guitars, drenched in synth, awful vocals, terrible lyrics and screaming pretentiousness in every aspect. to me they represent the worst examples of Tom's songwriting and perfectly encapsulate his deranged ego. 

What I liked about Dream Walker and onwards is that it was a lot less "oh my god guys, everything is wonderful and I'm a genius" and just a bit more weird, varied, and tonally darker. his lyrics still suck and his voice is still awful but the music itself has a lot more going for it, because Ilan actually knows what he's doing - the synth use was purposeful and effective, not just there. while he's less involved in Chasing Shadows, Tom picked up the slack with more guitar driven parts which worked quite well. I even prefer the remix version of Surrender to the original because the shift makes it so much more interesting to listen to. 

Do you not like The War, The Machine or Secret Crowds? Basically the more guitar driven songs of their earlier stuff. Just curious to know haha. But yeah I do agree with you, AVA at the beginning was way too pretentious. I do like some of their older songs though. Now they're not trying too hard and are just writing decent rock songs. I mean I love the ideas of every song AVA have done with their first 4 albums, but like 80% of them weren't done well at all. So much potential that wasn't used. Mark and Travis being there to offer their input would've made early AVA songs awesome.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Do you not like The War, The Machine or Secret Crowds? Basically the more guitar driven songs of their earlier stuff. Just curious to know haha. But yeah I do agree with you, AVA at the beginning was way too pretentious. I do like some of their older songs though. Now they're not trying too hard and are just writing decent rock songs. I mean I love the ideas of every song AVA have done with their first 4 albums, but like 80% of them weren't done well at all. So much potential that wasn't used. Mark and Travis being there to offer their input would've made early AVA songs awesome.

Secret Crowds and The Machine not at all, The War had potential but the ridiculousness of Toms vocals just ruined any potential enjoyment. I'd argue The War and It Hurts are easily the best songs from that record. musically the one I like the most might be It Hurts (I still love how this song starts but as soon as 'it hurts it hurts it hurts' begins it dies haha), but again the lyrics and his voice wreck it for me. I think his voice was actually a lot harder to listen to during WDNTW and I Empire, seemed to settle into what it is now during Love. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kay said:

Secret Crowds and The Machine not at all, The War had potential but the ridiculousness of Toms vocals just ruined any potential enjoyment. I'd argue The War and It Hurts are easily the best songs from that record. musically the one I like the most might be It Hurts (I still love how this song starts but as soon as 'it hurts it hurts it hurts' begins it dies haha), but again the lyrics and his voice wreck it for me. I think his voice was actually a lot harder to listen to during WDNTW and I Empire, seemed to settle into what it is now during Love. 

I'm one of the few who loves how his voice sounds now too. The way he sounds on Invisible Parade is fucking great. I don't like that song, but his voice is very unique on that track. I do like how he sounds on WDNTW cause I love his voice no matter how different it's become throughout the years. But it was weird hearing that transition. It's like he's trying to sound like the vocals from the smiley face album and I just feel it could've been better suited if the songs were a lot more guitar driven.

I remember hearing I-Empire and thinking his voice sounded weird. At least with WDNTW you can still hear that he kinda sounds like a more croaky & deeper version of himself from the BCR/smiley face album. But then all of a sudden he went high pitched and more sing-ish for I-Empire and it just felt like a weird transition to me. Still, I liked hearing it but that's the worst he's ever sounded by far IMO.

1 hour ago, Kay said:

Start the machine is the best AVA song. And somewhere in Toms Top 5 songs hes written. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Reginald said:

Start the machine is the best AVA song. And somewhere in Toms Top 5 songs hes written. 

Yeah, I love that song. Lyrically it's good too. Love the riff from the Machine but I don't like how it's a remake of Start the Machine. Could've done more with that song.

40 minutes ago, knapton said:

I love how people dont like the style of music he makes and then come in here and say its shit.  Like maybe its just not your thing

Yeah but if you say this you're a Tom bot. I love AvA without any shame, second favorite band. I love Tom's voice, I love the lyrics he writes (most of the time, a lot in TDW and on makes no sense), and the long intros are one of my favorite parts. It's fine if you hate it, but I don't get calling it shite like it's a fact. We're talking music here, one of the most subjective mediums. Hell, a lot of early Blink is easy for anyone to call garbage and yet a lot of us love it. Just like what you like and do your thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Whales said:

Yeah but if you say this you're a Tom bot. I love AvA without any shame, second favorite band. I love Tom's voice, I love the lyrics he writes (most of the time, a lot in TDW and on makes no sense), and the long intros are one of my favorite parts. It's fine if you hate it, but I don't get calling it shite like it's a fact. We're talking music here, one of the most subjective mediums. Hell, a lot of early Blink is easy for anyone to call garbage and yet a lot of us love it. Just like what you like and do your thing.

Nah that's boring.

Lots of old AVA is shite! :P

• Haha 1

I'm a huge fan of that style of music. In fact that U2/Cure kinda sound that AVA do is actually an influence on me. I really wish this style of music was used in blink a lot more though. Every AVA song has some great ideas. But their early stuff is very repetitive at times. Lyrics are decent outside of a couple of cringe lines here and there (I find they've gone even worse in the more recent AVA stuff when it comes to lyrics). I'm a fan of the long build ups. But I just don't feel the songs go anywhere. Like on True Love. That build up is fucking great. But the song as a whole is a total let down. Call to Arms sounds great throughout, but the song is way too long and repetitive.

I feel that's the problem with the early AVA tracks. They're just long and repetitive songs. Even the most rated AVA song the Adventure is a huge let down to me after that 2nd chorus. By having Mark and Travis there, I get the idea that the songs wouldn't be massively different. Probably a bit more punk rock sounding, less longer and no where near as repetitive.

30 Seconds to Mars were another band that were doing that sound as well, but I felt they pulled it off well. I like all that delay U2 styled guitars in AVA. The riffs on the Adventure and Valkyrie Missile are killer. Love the heavier riffs that AVA do as well like on the War, Intertia and Flight of Apollo. I like the slower AVA tracks like A LIttle's Enough. Start the Machine is one of my favourite blink related songs. I love the chorus of Sirens which I find catchy as fuck. I love the pre-chorus of that song too. I actually think Breathe is a very good song. Heaven is a song I like too.

The Moon-Atomic also sounds amazing. I love the atmospheric sound and synths in it. Some Origins of Fire is a track I like from start to finish. Saturday Love has some of the best ideas Tom has ever come up with but I think the song could've been way better. I love how weird the Revelator sounds in the verses, then it just goes all nice and poppy for the chorus. All That We Are would've been the worst ever song out of all the blink guys if it wasn't for that amazing solo in the outro. Just imagine blink having a solo like that. So much lost potential.

That's what I feel AVA is. Amazing ideas but the songs never reach the full potential. There's like 10-15 AVA tracks that I love from start to finish.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

I'm a huge fan of that style of music. In fact that U2/Cure kinda sound that AVA do is actually an influence on me. I really wish this style of music was used in blink a lot more though. Every AVA song has some great ideas. But their early stuff is very repetitive at times. Lyrics are decent outside of a couple of cringe lines here and there (I find they've gone even worse in the more recent AVA stuff when it comes to lyrics). I'm a fan of the long build ups. But I just don't feel the songs go anywhere. Like on True Love. That build up is fucking great. But the song as a whole is a total let down. Call to Arms sounds great throughout, but the song is way too long and repetitive.

I feel that's the problem with the early AVA tracks. They're just long and repetitive songs. Even the most rated AVA song the Adventure is a huge let down to me after that 2nd chorus. By having Mark and Travis there, I get the idea that the songs wouldn't be massively different. Probably a bit more punk rock sounding, less longer and no where near as repetitive.

30 Seconds to Mars were another band that were doing that sound as well, but I felt they pulled it off well. I like all that delay U2 styled guitars in AVA. The riffs on the Adventure and Valkyrie Missile are killer. Love the heavier riffs that AVA do as well like on the War, Intertia and Flight of Apollo. I like the slower AVA tracks like A LIttle's Enough. Start the Machine is one of my favourite blink related songs. I love the chorus of Love Like Rockets which I find catchy as fuck. I love the pre-chorus of that song too. I actually think Breathe is a very good song. Heaven is a song I like too.

The Moon-Atomic also sounds amazing. I love the atmospheric sound and synths in it. Some Origins of Fire is a track I like from start to finish. Saturday Love has some of the best ideas Tom has ever come up with but I think the song could've been way better. I love how weird the Revelator sounds in the verses, then it just goes all nice and poppy for the chorus. All That We Are would've been the worst ever song out of all the blink guys if it wasn't for that amazing solo in the outro. Just imagine blink having a solo like that. So much lost potential.

That's what I feel AVA is. Amazing ideas but the songs never reach the full potential. There's like 10-15 AVA tracks that I love from start to finish.

You had some good points there. The bold wasn’t one of them.

• Like 1