The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

2 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Travis is/was mad he pulled out of his festival.

Tom also didn't like the business being dictated to him, and Mark does. Those are the biggest strife that the band has had. Tom eventually became his own man. I think that's what really happened back in the 2002.

Mark works on auto-pilot, and Tom doesn't. It's been that way for a long time.

Well this isn't very accurate. Tom was on board with marketing the band like a boy band in the Enema and TOYPAJ era; not evolving their sound and having a lot of production and selling out. Tom was ok with it because it made money. That seems to be the theme of Tom throughout the years, lately with preferring touring over recording. 

8 minutes ago, Kvothe said:

They both have their warts. Tom didn't even collaborate for half of Neighborhoods - it's painfully obvious with the guitar on songs like Hearts All Gone, Kaleidoscope, MH 4.18.2011, etc.. Tom didn't even listen to the final mix. I agree, Tom half-assing an album is still better than California, but let's not pretend that it was even close to what they were capable of. 

totally true... i'd love a full functioning tom mark travis blink... but that's never going to happen again....

but even tom half assing neighborhoods while joggling his crazy to the stars stuff and ava created more blink magic than the current line up focused and dedicated to release a killer album could

2 minutes ago, Kvothe said:

Well this isn't very accurate. Tom was on board with marketing the band like a boy band in the Enema and TOYPAJ era; not evolving their sound and having a lot of production and selling out. Tom was ok with it because it made money. That seems to be the theme of Tom throughout the years, lately with preferring touring over recording. 

6 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Tom eventually became his own man. I think that's what really happened back in the 2002.

1 minute ago, Kvothe said:

yeah..tom was okay with that 16 years ago...... doing ava, releasing albums for free, triying to alter the sound with the dream walker and constantly trying to mix things up is something else though...

don't get me wrong.. i'm absolutely no fan of what tom is doing at the moment  and i barely listen to his music..... but if there's one thing california proved, it is that tom had massive talent doing things his way

Sure. It's not really $37M of traditional "debt." The majority of that liability comes from the stock offer. When people buy into a company, the company recognizes stockholders' equity as a deficit, because it's technically owed to investors. So, the accumulated deficit is a combination of the debt owed to investors and traditional debt (like accounts payable and loans). I don't think it's really fair to say TTSA is "$37M in debt," but rather they can't seem to operate effectively without more investor money, which is a really bad and unsustainable business model.

For anybody curious about this debt, this was posted on the b182 reddit.

4 minutes ago, Kvothe said:

Fair enough. But being in a band doesn't mean you get to dictate everything. I think Tom's ego and unwillingness to compromise is what caused both breakups. 

i think it was tom's need to change, and mark's fear of leaving his comfort zone.... it worked out great with the untitled record, but mark always chooses doing things the easy way...... plus 44 was a big step up for him, but even then he crawled back from his idea of  following a progressive electronic approach and settled for the standard rock band 4 piece

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kvothe said:

Fair enough. But being in a band doesn't mean you get to dictate everything. I think Tom's ego and unwillingness to compromise is what caused both breakups. 

You're right. Blink, by the band's own admission, has always been a "democracy" and when that falls, the band does too.

I think it's interesting that Mark interpreted a "unacknowledged competition" between them during TOYPAJ. Tom had gotten older, and probably knew he was as good as Mark (if not better), and was willing to do BCR as an experiment. In fact, I think Tom was shot down for his ideas and eventually made BCR because of it. Those ideas are post TOYPAJ, but it would make sense given how much of Tom's writing is really ... well, Reckless Abandon says it all.

I think Mark is more mature, Tom less so. But Tom is more ambitious. Thus, they splintered. Tom eventually took his ball and went home. He didn't do it the right way, but that's what happened.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

You're right. Blink, by the band's own admission, has always been a "democracy" and when that falls, the band does too.

I think it's interesting that Mark interpreted a "unacknowledged competition" between them during TOYPAJ. Tom had gotten older, and probably knew he was as good as Mark (if not better), and was willing to do BCR as an experiment. In fact, I think Tom was shot down for his ideas and eventually made BCR because of it. Those ideas are post TOYPAJ, but it would make sense given how much of Tom's writing is really ... well, Reckless Abandon says it all.

I think Mark is more mature, Tom less so. But Tom is more ambitious. Thus, they splintered. Tom eventually took his ball and went home. He didn't do it the right way, but that's what happened.

Yeah, while that's mostly speculation, I can see most of it being pretty accurate.

Really though, Tom's personality is probably the main issue on the band breaking up - especially the most recent breakup. Watching the Joe Rogan podcast is really all the proof you need on Tom's current mental state. Who would want to collaborate with someone like that? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kvothe said:

Yeah, while that's mostly speculation, I can see most of it being pretty accurate.

Really though, Tom's personality is probably the main issue on the band breaking up - especially the most recent breakup. Watching the Joe Rogan podcast is really all the proof you need on Tom's current mental state. Who would want to collaborate with someone like that? 

absolutely!

mark didn't want to put up with him anymore so he went  all in after that email (tom.is.out) to boot him out.

23 minutes ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

it was just enough for mark to throw tom under the bus and stand there as the good guy...blink 182 life for  life!

Edit: Tom fucked up royally, i agree... but mark didn't try to fix their relationship either... too much work,  can't miss disneyland 

I disagree.  I fucking hate current state of blink largley because of Mark's bullshit and fakeness, but dealing with Tom was probably a complete nightmare.  The Boxcar move was insanely douchey to drive another bandmate crazy and while I love that album, they all could have been great blink songs.

Mark has always always been ready to write and record for blink, Tom constantly held them on pins that he's going to leave and kill the energy and enthusiasm for the band by being too cool and 'progressive'.  Mark would never hold the band hostage, for years, in their prime.

That type of shit is poisoness to a working relationship or friendship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cali Denial Cape said:

I disagree.  I fucking hate current state of blink largley because of Mark's bullshit and fakeness, but dealing with Tom was probably a complete nightmare.  The Boxcar move was insanely douchey to drive another bandmate crazy and while I love that album, they all could have been great blink songs.

Mark has always always been ready to write and record for blink, Tom constantly held them on pins that he's going to leave and kill the energy and enthusiasm for the band by being too cool and 'progressive'.  Mark would never hold the band hostage, for years, in their prime.

That type of shit is poisoness to a working relationship or friendship.

Agree.

I always though Tom grew up a HUGE ego. And that was the root of all disasters.

Mark released untitled which was completely different than anything they had done and Neighborhoods which was even further in Tom’s direction. The only reason blink doesn’t release albums with Tom today is because he turned into a mentally ill jackass. 

Amazes me that people still make excuses for him after all that has went down.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Mark released untitled which was completely different than anything they had done and Neighborhoods which was even further in Tom’s direction. The only reason blink doesn’t release albums with Tom today is because he turned into a mentally ill jackass. 

Amazes me that people still make excuses for him after all that has went down.

Not going to disagree with Tom being the problem, but you can’t use untitled as an example when it’s been said that mark wanted to remake the same album again and Tom was the one that pushed them to do something different. Sure mark did well with it once getting into it, but he wouldn’t have made that album that way if Tom wasn’t in the band.

• Like 1

If Tom wanted to create a certain type of album and sit in a room with Mark and Travis and put a collaborative effort into it, we all know it would have happened. Multiple times by now. 

There could have been 4 or 5 blink albums since Untitled. Could have went any direction they wanted. Tom went rogue and lost his mind. End of story. 

• Like 5