The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

I've always felt that the Dream Walker has been the most representative as a "band". David & Matt were bigger yes men for AVA than Skiba is for blink. Rubin at least felt like a huge part of the band. I don't know about the insides and outs for 30 Seconds to Mars, but does anyone know if Matt was the same for them too?

2 hours ago, Kvothe said:

I believe they were It Hurts and The War.

I think another reason why the earlier AvA albums were better was because Tom was still in his prime at that point. 2010-2012 is when he began slipping - his voice starting going, his lyrics started becoming lame, his guitar riffs weren't that great, etc.

The Adventure is one of them too, cause Mark mentioned that before I'm sure. And I can't find the video but I'm sure I've heard Tom play the riff from the Machine during the recording of the 2003 album, which was eventually reused for the Snake Charmer riff kind of, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Machine was intended for blink too.

I think his songwriting for the Dream Walker album is better, but not the lyrics. I definitely agree he was still in his prime as a musician/songwriter though, just way too pretentious, which is why I prefer the Dream Walker more than anything else from AVA. His lyrics in the first two AVA albums were still pretty good I thought outside the odd cringe lines here and there. 

48 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

The Adventure is one of them too, cause Mark mentioned that before I'm sure. And I can't find the video but I'm sure I've heard Tom play the riff from the Machine during the recording of the 2003 album, which was eventually reused for the Snake Charmer riff kind of, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Machine was intended for blink too.

I think his songwriting for the Dream Walker album is better, but not the lyrics. I definitely agree he was still in his prime as a musician/songwriter though, just way too pretentious, which is why I prefer the Dream Walker more than anything else from AVA. His lyrics in the first two AVA albums were still pretty good I thought outside the odd cringe lines here and there. 

Yeah Tom only said It Hurts and The War, but I'm sure close to half the ideas were leftover from Blink writing time.

I mean..this one doesn't sound like Blink to you?  Chorus, drums, intro guitar sounds straight Blink

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Speedo's Edge said:

Yeah Tom only said It Hurts and The War, but I'm sure close to half the ideas were leftover from Blink writing time.

I mean..this one doesn't sound like Blink to you?  Chorus, drums, intro guitar sounds straight Blink

His vocals too. He still has his voice from blink's smiley face album on that song too. All the others, his voice seems to have broken a bit more/aged more or something.

3 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

For basically a decade, Tom and Mark milked their rejected and leftover ideas from 2003. Even Up All Night had its origins during that time period. That shows how bad it was. He didnt touch that riff for 3 Ava albums

I think a lot of that is to do with blink using that as the come back song in 2009 or at least hyping it as the come back song since it was released 2 years later, so it wasn't gonna be touched by AVA at all during the LOVE albums. Could've been used for the first 2 AVA albums though, but for some reason it wasn't. I love the riff actually but sometimes as a songwriter, you can have a great idea for a riff or lyric verses or whatever, but you feel like you can't fit it on the album you're recording. Or in some cases, you feel like you can't add more to the song yet, so you just leave it for ages. So maybe it wasn't rejected and they were just stuck when it came to that song.

We have to remember that Up All Night was meant to sound very different compared to the finished version. I remember blink mentioning that it was very reliant on synths and that Travis had to change the drum beat in order to make Tom ignore a lot of the synths. Seems to be one of them songs that just took a long time. Love the song, but it shouldn't have been a single haha. Some songs are just difficult to work on and some can be finished pretty quickly.

That song would've sucked big time for AVA I think and although I do like the song, it could've been way better than the finished product but obviously they didn't work together properly as a band.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Speedo's Edge said:

Sorry double post.

Yeah, I always thought that too. In fact, I see WDNTW and WYHSB as the result of the two main writing forces on Blink being dissected.

In blink it all exploded due to lack of comunication or whatever, but also for a very important lack of integration after Untitled. In that record they kinda managed to create a balance between those two forces. When the thension was too much, it all got dismantled, and, as I said, the results were both records.

I'll always have this feeling about how great a goodbalance and integration of those two worlds would have been if Mark ad Tom would have been able to get their shit together. Untitled was great, but I think that, potentially, the next record could have been much better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I guess they kinda buried the keyboards on the mix of UAN after simplify them. If you get the Guitar Hero files, there's the synth part which sounds as background for the chorus.

Yeah that too, I've heard them. But apparently the song wasn't originally intended to be as heavy.

Dunno if cause this was recorded on his modlife thing, but the main riff sounds like it has some weird EQ effects. Sounds nowhere near as heavy as the finished version.

And i'm not sure if this was originally part of Up All Night but Mark & Travis were apparently annoyed for Tom overusing synths for it before getting him to make it more rock sounding or whatever. No clue whether this was the song but wouldn't surprise me since I've not heard that in AVA either.

2 hours ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

For basically a decade, Tom and Mark milked their rejected and leftover ideas from 2003. Even Up All Night had its origins during that time period. That shows how bad it was. He didnt touch that riff for 3 Ava albums

Artists do thus all the time..bring ideas out of hibernation.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Speedo's Edge said:

Artists do thus all the time..bring ideas out of hibernation.

This is true. Sometimes you'll have an idea you really like but you can't 'find' the rest of the parts to make it a full song, and suddenly years later your pissing about with it and it clicks.