The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

2 hours ago, Kvothe said:

Didn't they record some of their tapes in Mark or Tom's garage? And, if I recall correctly, they recorded Dude Ranch in like 2 days with very little oversight? 

And how are other bands relevant when discussing how hard Blink worked in their earlier days? I don't see how that's related. 

It makes sense that they recorded demos on there own, yes. Not sure if Wikipedia is a reliable source, but it says they spent five weeks recording it. Mark Trombino produced it, right? 

Also, when you say that they toured in a shitty van across America it makes it seems like it was something unique for Blink. If touring and living that lifestyle means you deserve to become a star, it would mean most small bands deserve to be stars, which might be true, but it makes so sense to make exceptions for Blink, who already came from pretty well off families. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2018 at 5:32 AM, Olidamus said:

When I saw Mark at sound check and during the meet and greet; one thing was apparently, his carefree joking self is all an act.

He is very business, very serious, very quiet, and very boring. Travis was the one laughing, making jokes, and slapping guitar techs in the ass with towels. Mark acted like he didn't want to be there, or he didn't want a crowd watching him sound check.

So his entire life is an act, but he can’t fake it for a sound check? I think it’s more likely that he takes sound check seriously and doesn’t want people there. 

• Like 1

Sound check for the California tour a couple years ago Mark was joking around with fans, showing fans pictures on his phone, and was cracking jokes with Travis' drum tech. Gave us all picks after too. He wasn't in full concert energy mode by any means, but why would he be? It was a soundcheck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

Sound check for the California tour a couple years ago Mark was joking around with fans, showing fans pictures on his phone, and was cracking jokes with Travis' drum tech. Gave us all picks after too. He wasn't in full concert energy mode by any means, but why would he be? It was a soundcheck.

Hey stop giving examples of good things, Mark is a terrible snob who hates his fans and isn't a complex human being with feelings and emotions!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ...Dan... said:

Still can't believe people pay for that shite, go on holiday instead.

I may have wanted to go when I was 14 and if my parents were willing to pay for it.  

Makes no sense to go pay a couple hundred bucks to meet someone that doesn't give two shits about you.

1 hour ago, ...Dan... said:

Still can't believe people pay for that shite, go on holiday instead.

Soundcheck is like an extra $60-$75 bucks, totally worth it for 2-3 songs with hardly any one around you, and you also get extra merch and early entry. You can't go on vacation for that, unless vacation is a date to Red Lobster.

1 hour ago, Whales said:

Hey stop giving examples of good things, Mark is a terrible snob who hates his fans and isn't a complex human being with feelings and emotions!

Love how people like Ghent's experience and say "see Mark is a nice guy" but my experience is invalid.

Mark was an ass at my soundcheck. He was at a few others as well.

I dunno, I can't see the value in it.

I got to go to a blink soundcheck for free and it was such a let down. I understand it's soundcheck but it was boring seeing a few guys on stage just chatting away and then playing a few underwhelming songs.

If I paid $250 for it I would of been pissed off.

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

Ding Ding Ding.

I'd be in "full concert mode" whether I was playing to 50K people or no one. I am in full concert mode when I am a lone in a room.

But then again, I actually am not jaded and for me guitar playing is like sex, no matter how many times, it doesn't get old.

It got old for Mark, but to be fair, if I had to play the same exact songs for 20 fucking years, I'd be like that too.

I don't see why a band need to be enthusiastic or put on a good show when they're doing soundcheck. Isn't the point to test out how the sound for the show should be. The problem here is that they are making people pay for it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

VIP was well worth it.

Dislike people who look down on others for having fun with their money. What do you guys do with your money? I fully admit I spend money on stupid crap (I did buy this board afterall, tee hee) and I don't really think about it. No sense in being cheap.

This is true. Each to their own I guess.

I recently bought a 1947 globe which is a rare find. Some people probably would think that is a waste of money.

• Like 1