The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

3 minutes ago, Since88 said:

This is true, when Tom went back to blink AVA died, and that's when they lost Atom, and then Matt and David.. 

This is not true. Tom still was heavily involved with AvA when he rejoined Blink - Love Part 1 and 2 and the Dream Walker were all released during his time with Blink. You could easily argue that he actually spent more time with AvA than Blink during that time.

55 minutes ago, Kvothe said:

This is not true. Tom still was heavily involved with AvA when he rejoined Blink - Love Part 1 and 2 and the Dream Walker were all released during his time with Blink. You could easily argue that he actually spent more time with AvA than Blink during that time.

Yeah he recorded with them, but let's count live shows. He spent 90% of his time with blink. Before the blink reunion AVA was a full functioning touring band. That gradually stopped during the first years of the blink reunion. It's even the reason why Atom left.

1 hour ago, Since88 said:

No, Tom did say that both David and Matt is back for this album. That is a fact.

How is it surprising that he is in the studio then?

Tom has been saying they’d be back for every release he’s done since the Dream Walker that’s the point man. No one believed they would be actually be back because Tom has been saying they’d be back for four years now and they’ve never come back until now. There was no reason to believe they’d be coming back if he’d been saying they’d be coming back for four years. It’s very surprising.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Since88 said:

Yeah he recorded with them, but let's count live shows. He spent 90% of his time with blink. Before the blink reunion AVA was a full functioning touring band. That gradually stopped during the first years of the blink reunion. It's even the reason why Atom left.

Ok, so he recorded more often with AvA (as demonstrated by releasing more AvA albums in the same amount of time), and toured with Blink for the moneys (Travis and Mark called him out for this). 

Blaming AvA's downfall on Blink is hilarious. You have the two mixed up. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kvothe said:

Ok, so he recorded more often with AvA (as demonstrated by releasing more AvA albums in the same amount of time), and toured with Blink for the moneys (Travis and Mark called him out for this). 

I'm not, I'm blaming Tom for going back to blink.

9 minutes ago, Since88 said:

I'm not, I'm blaming Tom for going back to blink.

Tom's work on AvA is a bigger reason for Blink's issues, rather than Blink negatively impacting AvA. It seems pretty obvious that AvA's success was largely built off of Tom's success and reputation with Blink, and that it was unsustainable for him to ride that momentum long-term. Doesn't help that the quality of the albums continued to drop with every release after I-Empire. 

16 minutes ago, Kvothe said:

Tom's work on AvA is a bigger reason for Blink's issues, rather than Blink negatively impacting AvA. It seems pretty obvious that AvA's success was largely built off of Tom's success and reputation with Blink, and that it was unsustainable for him to ride that momentum long-term. Doesn't help that the quality of the albums continued to drop with every release after I-Empire. 

For the sake of AVA he never should have gone back to blink. 
And about the quality of the albums, thats subjective, can't really say that much about it more than; I don't agree..

7 hours ago, Kay said:

I like later AVA but damn did this make me internally groan.

if his new music is anything like WDNTW, I Empire or Love then I'll be pissed.

give me a punkier AVA, or the weird shit he's done lately, not the rest of it. normal AVA is utter wank noise. 

But why do you feel this way? Man I love those albums so much. I-Empire is one of my all time favorite albums.

10 hours ago, Whales said:

But why do you feel this way? Man I love those albums so much. I-Empire is one of my all time favorite albums.

all the songs sound identical, delay simple U2 style guitars, drenched in synth, awful vocals, terrible lyrics and screaming pretentiousness in every aspect. to me they represent the worst examples of Tom's songwriting and perfectly encapsulate his deranged ego. 

What I liked about Dream Walker and onwards is that it was a lot less "oh my god guys, everything is wonderful and I'm a genius" and just a bit more weird, varied, and tonally darker. his lyrics still suck and his voice is still awful but the music itself has a lot more going for it, because Ilan actually knows what he's doing - the synth use was purposeful and effective, not just there. while he's less involved in Chasing Shadows, Tom picked up the slack with more guitar driven parts which worked quite well. I even prefer the remix version of Surrender to the original because the shift makes it so much more interesting to listen to. 

Tom needs to be more like Trent Reznor, make fucking walllllllss of noise and sing over it. do a couple of bleep bloops. maybe get into crystal castles. could be great.

but no, he's stuck in his U2 shit. ugh

I'd like nothing more than for Tom to write good music (preferably with blink-182).

What he's doing now with AVA is more fake hype and misdirection. Not to mention terrible music from the sounds of the clips.

This isn't a new thought or anything, Blink are the ultimate example of "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts." None of them in their current states are capable of creating anything as good when they're not working with the others. I know +44 is seen as a masterpiece by a lot of people here and it's pretty good, but in my opinion BCR is the only offshoot album that ever met the standards of Blink.

AVA and Blink 1-Feldy-2 are bands that I would never have given a second listen to if they weren't Blink affiliated haha.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

This isn't a new thought or anything, Blink are the ultimate example of "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts." None of them in their current states are capable of creating anything as good when they're not working with the others. I know +44 is seen as a masterpiece by a lot of people here and it's pretty good, but in my opinion BCR is the only offshoot album that ever met the standards of Blink.

AVA and Blink 1-Feldy-2 are bands that I would never have given a second listen to if they weren't Blink affiliated haha.

Yeah I basically agree with that. I have a soft spot for +44 but objectively it isn't that great. BCR is better to me than most blink records if I'm totally honest. it isn't necessarily better overall, but I love it a bit more. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2018 at 11:45 PM, Kvothe said:

In fact, he destroyed both bands.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2018 at 8:23 PM, Kay said:

I like later AVA but damn did this make me internally groan.

if his new music is anything like WDNTW, I Empire or Love then I'll be pissed.

give me a punkier AVA, or the weird shit he's done lately, not the rest of it. normal AVA is utter wank noise. 

i have a feeling that new music will be better than wdntw but nothing close to a dreamwalker. seems like this time toms trying to pack it with more guitar stuff. give me long intros, give me 6 min songs, give me "the ice is really double cold", just make it faster than some boring rock shit with barely strummming guitar. Chasing shadows, especially Overload is a good example of a fine direction Tom should continue to chase.