The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

1 hour ago, _Kyle_ said:

tom is a really silly guy. the fact he wanted to be treated so seriously still blows my mind. just how do you get that far up your own ass. there's just a level of unawareness that he has that really makes him compelling in that way.

Seriously, I've said in the past that he could make a fucking killing AND reach a whole lot more people if he still had his old personality and made like an Anthony Bourdain style TV series where he travels around talking to people about their supernatural experiences or expertise and made it fun. The information could be carefully researched and taken as seriously as he wants, but people loved Tom for being ridiculously silly and weird and he could've talked about his "sekrets" in a funny and semi-down to earth way. Instead 99% of the world is just weirded out by his attempts to mumble his way through stories about government meetings, impossible-to-decipher half fiction half "fact" books, groundbreaking discoveries that he never shares, and cartoons about a dude with a magic umbrella(?)

Obviously we've talked about his personality change for over a decade at this point haha but it really is a bummer. Even if he was fated to leave Blink to chase aliens all along, it would've been a lot more fun to see how Sane Tom would've done it.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

he could make a fucking killing AND reach a whole lot more people if he still had his old personality and made like an Anthony Bourdain style TV series where he travels around talking to people about their supernatural experiences or expertise and made it fun.

that would be the best possible scenario, yes!

• Like 1

That clip instantly made me think of Elevator, as interesting as it is it does sound quite typically Tom. not hating on it, but it isn't anything new. which is fine by me, all I want from Tom is some "eh, it'll do" music at this point. 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 6:44 PM, Regi. said:

As always, I question whether this will lead will lead to anything substantial but as a clip I quite like this.

Main riff sounds very Box Car Racer and I'm rating the cool little riff in what sounds like the verses. 

I'd much rather a sound like this for Blink than the polished bubblegum All Time Low Snrs stuff we're getting now. 

• Like 1

Tom is an unlimited tank of decent ideas - but needs Mark and Travis to really get there. He's tried for over a decade to do it alone and proved he can't - even in his prime (The Adventure). But jesus, Mark literally cannot produce any original or thought provoking ideas. Tom pushes Mark, and actually pushes him, to become a better musician. 

IT MAKES ME SO MAD - HOW DO THEY NOT SEE HOW MUCH BETTER THEY ARE TOGETHER! Ugh. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Mau5 said:

Tom is an unlimited tank of decent ideas - but needs Mark and Travis to really get there. He's tried for over a decade to do it alone and proved he can't - even in his prime (The Adventure). But jesus, Mark literally cannot produce any original or thought provoking ideas. Tom pushes Mark, and actually pushes him, to become a better musician. 

IT MAKES ME SO MAD - HOW DO THEY NOT SEE HOW MUCH BETTER THEY ARE TOGETHER! Ugh. 

This is so spot on. They truly do balance eachother out. Tom pushes Mark out of his comfort zone, Mark mellows/organizes Tom out, Travis' crazy drums just fits on top of simpler music to make it more interesting.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mau5 said:

Because, and thank god, this sounds nothing like Cali

Sounds like a blatant attempt at "sounding blink" to me. If he wants to write blink songs he should be in blink, not some dead solo band no one cares about.

16 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Sounds like a blatant attempt at "sounding blink" to me. If he wants to write blink songs he should be in blink, not some dead solo band no one cares about.

They can write songs without them being California type songs. Or enema or toypaj. They proved that with untitled. 

On 9/11/2018 at 1:24 PM, Kay said:

That clip instantly made me think of Elevator, as interesting as it is it does sound quite typically Tom. not hating on it, but it isn't anything new. which is fine by me, all I want from Tom is some "eh, it'll do" music at this point. 

Yeah, it definitely sounds like a Boxcar Racer song, although I'm not hearing Elevator haha. I'm just hearing a typical BCR styled song but I do agree that it's not anything new. At least it's not an overused sound apart from a few AVA and blink riffs here and there.