The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

37 minutes ago, EveryonebutOliveriswrong said:

The funniest part about Tom suggesting we quit our day jobs is not just that he's a multi-millionaire, it's that he's following his dreams and undoubtedly losing millions in the process.

Tom is burning everything he built with blink to the ground. I have a friend that is a casual fan of blink who referred to Tom as "the washed up psycho guy". This is the general publics opinion of Tom now. Long live blink-18skiba.

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

how long are they going to do this? They are in the clear minority, but are far more vocal than the normals. 

As most people in a minority tend to be ... something happens to people who don't get their way and don't understand the concept of what they're upset about. They scream the loudest, infants throwing a fit. The best course of action is to not even acknowledge it, let them train themselves out of the behavior, just like you would a 2 year old.

• Like 1

I would lose so much respect for Mark and Travis if they were to ever force Matt out to bring Tom back after Matt has stepped in and - from first glimpses of new material - given them a new lease of life.

That said,  this has all come from Tom so we know it's 99% likely to be bullshit, luckily.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, iguessthisisgrowingup said:

"it isn't tom without blink"

it wasn't even a real band with tom *

i don't get how people can be against a functioning, proper band. people underrate how important mark is to blink's sound. my favourite blink songs are mark songs

I've always been a HUGE Mark fan even more than a Tom fan. I think a lot of the new comments you see are honestly the casual fans who don't follow the band closely and hear "oh blink has a new single but Tom isn't there" "Then it's not Blink" they're the people who didn't deal with the countless delays broken promises, stale ass setlists, lazy guitar playing, drunk singing/butchering of songs.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Smalls said:

Tom is burning everything he built with blink to the ground. I have a friend that is a casual fan of blink who referred to Tom as "the washed up psycho guy". This is the general publics opinion of Tom now. Long live blink-18skiba.

My mom knows him as the "weird alien guy" from seeing his name in the headlines a few months ago because of the Paper magazine piece. 

• Like 1

It's sad that there is so much division in the fanbase. I'm a longtime fan who falls somewhere in the middle (blink will always be Tom and Mark to me), but it feels like both sides are dead set against the other, and it's frustrating to read so much hate (or bizarre blind support) about musicians I've loved for most of my life.

On the one hand, Tom was a total dipshit in how he handled all of this, and he 100% deserved to be kicked out. I don't honestly believe he could contribute to blink in the same way he did prior to the first hiatus. I'm glad to see that blink is continuing to do things without him, and I'm stoked to see how California turns out. Matt seems like a good guy and a good fit, and I hope he sticks around regardless of what happens going forward.

With that said, I also feel like Tom does add a creative spark that helped to set blink apart from other pop-punk groups over the years. Watching the Cheetah vids back in the day, you can really see the creative influence he exerted, often times coming to the band with nearly complete song ideas already formulated in his head (case in point being the "Making of Down" video), and those ideas often sounded pretty different from the other pop-punk sounds out there, which kept me coming back time and again. I think he is still capable of forming good song ideas (I thought the Chasing Shadows EP was decent overall), but he needs a producer and bandmates to reign him in, as was the case with Mark, Travis, and Jerry pre-hiatus. It's a shame that his ego has gotten to the point that he can't seem to cooperate like that anymore. I sincerely hope that he and blink do reconcile some day (obviously only if Tom committed full time, which is unlikely), because I feel like both of them are better together than they are apart.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, t3hzm4n said:

It's sad that there is so much division in the fanbase. I'm a longtime fan who falls somewhere in the middle (blink will always be Tom and Mark to me), but it feels like both sides are dead set against the other, and it's frustrating to read so much hate (or bizarre blind support) about musicians I've loved for most of my life.

On the one hand, Tom was a total dipshit in how he handled all of this, and he 100% deserved to be kicked out. I don't honestly believe he could contribute to blink in the same way he did prior to the first hiatus. I'm glad to see that blink is continuing to do things without him, and I'm stoked to see how California turns out. Matt seems like a good guy and a good fit, and I hope he sticks around regardless of what happens going forward.

With that said, I also feel like Tom does add a creative spark that helped to set blink apart from other pop-punk groups over the years. Watching the Cheetah vids back in the day, you can really see the creative influence he exerted, often times coming to the band with nearly complete song ideas already formulated in his head (case in point being the "Making of Down" video), and those ideas often sounded pretty different from the other pop-punk sounds out there, which kept me coming back time and again. I think he is still capable of forming good song ideas (I thought the Chasing Shadows EP was decent overall), but he needs a producer and bandmates to reign him in, as was the case with Mark, Travis, and Jerry pre-hiatus. It's a shame that his ego has gotten to the point that he can't seem to cooperate like that anymore. I sincerely hope that he and blink do reconcile some day (obviously only if Tom committed full time, which is unlikely), because I feel like both of them are better together than they are apart.

You're citing the Tom from the Cheetah videos. That man does not exist any more. 

• Like 8

such a bummer to see those facebook comments. i hope mark/trav/skiba know that the really real fans -- the ones here, that have followed and exhausted so much time into them and know their history inside out -- are completely in support of them

• Like 2

as i see - there's a lot of people round here, who still think that delonge is funny guy in dickies shorts hanging around with dudes and telling jokes about penis, possessing interesting voice and know how to use it. 

i'm going to surprise you, but - tom delonge like this is gone. now, it's strange schizophrenic guy, with adhd or smthng, who always talk about bullshit, aliens, art and light

that's right - that man from cheetah videos doesn't exists anymore 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, t3hzm4n said:

You're not wrong although the making of Down from those videos honestly isn't impressive at all, it's mostly showing him play three chords. theres a lot of more impressive things he brings to the table in those videos than that. I'm not bagging on you its just an odd example.

14 minutes ago, GrimCityGirl said:

You're not wrong although the making of Down from those videos honestly isn't impressive at all, it's mostly showing him play three chords. theres a lot of more impressive things he brings to the table in those videos than that. I'm not bagging on you its just an odd example.

The full video has him humming the full vocal melody for the verses, along with rough lyrics for the chorus too (EDIT- had the wrong video the first time):

• Like 1

... Yeah again I wouldn't consider that particularly impressive, comparative to other cheetah vids like the acoustic riffing him and mark do together or the work on I Miss You

To each their own. Down is a simple song, but I always thought it was kind of interesting how that song was basically 100% Tom; virtually the only change from initial demonstration to the final version was removing the weird BCR-esque section. My point wasn't necessarily to say there was anything impressive about it, but really just to highlight how significant Tom was in the creative process for blink, since there were entire songs even at the band's peak that were like 95% his writing.

Then again, we got a lot of Tom in Neighborhoods too, and that's where we see how desperately he needs a producer (along with more commitment to the band) to reign in some of the rougher ideas... I don't see him ever being able to get either of those things, so good riddance, I suppose. A man can dream though!

• Like 2