The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

Dang I actually wasn't checking this thread because of the title change, thought it was an old one someone bumped.

Yeah, if he does anything he will just do a few small SoCal shows. David's not abandoning his coffee shop to go on a smelly AVA club tour. Matt literally will have to request PTO at work...

I did like his "Right now with Angels & Airwaves" post which was just him and a Rubin Afro... which is essentially what "AVA" is at this point. He should just continue as a Tom Delonge solo act IMO, probably more recognizable anyway. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Mark's an embarrassment.

He definitely lost his balls in 2002 and hasn't found them since.

I almost agree with this, except for WYHSB. That album was great, and I felt like he had a lot of identity then. Though aside from that, you're right. I would replace "balls" with "identity" though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Also, Ghent nailed why AVA doesn't tour.

Tom gave an interview and said the Ilan revolution was going to have them playing areas "where they belonged" when that whole thing bombed, he basically did scrap AVA and moved on to his alien shit.

Did it bomb this much. I thought it was one of his best albums.

3 hours ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Mark's an embarrassment.

He definitely lost his balls in 2002 and hasn't found them since.

Yeah but if your closest friend and bandmate did all that it'd probably mess you up as well.

37 minutes ago, horchata said:

I almost agree with this, except for WYHSB. That album was great, and I felt like he had a lot of identity then. Though aside from that, you're right. I would replace "balls" with "identity" though. 

Yeah, he was still a good mucisian on Untitled but seemed to be a wreck from Box Car still.  His identity on WYHSB was fuck you Tom, you idiot.  Then just lost it after that phase.  Nowadays, if you follow him on social media seems a total mess outside of Skye

It's crazy how well We Don't Need to Whisper did. Problem with that album was that a lot of music critics hated the shit out of it. I think a lot of it is to do with Tom hyping it up. You really thought it was gonna be some kick ass album at the time. I heard the Adventure and thought it was fucking great at least in the first half of the song anyway, then it just got repetitive. Every song has great ideas, but nearly all of them have shit parts too whether it's lyrics or too repetitive or just plain boring. Valkyrie Missile, the first minute just wasn't needed. Would've been perfectly fine starting off with that bass line. But then the verses are so fucking long. And I love the chorus but something feels missing in that song still. It doesn't really go anywhere. It's the same with almost every song. The only one I feel like he got full on perfect was Start the Machine. I fucking love that song.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Dang I actually wasn't checking this thread because of the title change, thought it was an old one someone bumped.

Yeah, if he does anything he will just do a few small SoCal shows. David's not abandoning his coffee shop to go on a smelly AVA club tour. Matt literally will have to request PTO at work...

I did like his "Right now with Angels & Airwaves" post which was just him and a Rubin Afro... which is essentially what "AVA" is at this point. He should just continue as a Tom Delonge solo act IMO, probably more recognizable anyway. 

Yeah, going the solo route makes more sense.

If he ever plays Valkyrie Missile live again, at the end where it goes "Who are we? We're Angels and Airwaves" it should be switched to "Who are we? We're a band that was a spinoff band from the band I rage quit, but then I kicked everyone out of the spinoff band, and then the spinoff band stopped selling records so now it's just me. Tom Delonge." 

• Haha 1

On 12/4/2018 at 1:17 PM, Clar-ke has herpes said:

Yeah, going the solo route makes more sense.

If he ever plays Valkyrie Missile live again, at the end where it goes "Who are we? We're Angels and Airwaves" it should be switched to "Who are we? We're a band that was a spinoff band from the band I rage quit, but then I kicked everyone out of the spinoff band, and then the spinoff band stopped selling records so now it's just me. Tom Delonge." 

flows off the tongue so well

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/4/2018 at 9:34 PM, Nosferatu said:

It's crazy how well We Don't Need to Whisper did. Problem with that album was that a lot of music critics hated the shit out of it. I think a lot of it is to do with Tom hyping it up. You really thought it was gonna be some kick ass album at the time. I heard the Adventure and thought it was fucking great at least in the first half of the song anyway, then it just got repetitive. Every song has great ideas, but nearly all of them have shit parts too whether it's lyrics or too repetitive or just plain boring. Valkyrie Missile, the first minute just wasn't needed. Would've been perfectly fine starting off with that bass line. But then the verses are so fucking long. And I love the chorus but something feels missing in that song still. It doesn't really go anywhere. It's the same with almost every song. The only one I feel like he got full on perfect was Start the Machine. I fucking love that song.

"It hurts" too

5 minutes ago, nicknem92 said:

"It hurts" too

I like the song but I feel that one is missing Mark & Travis. Something in that song is missing but I love the structure of it. I'm just glad it wasn't long, boring or repetitive haha. But the way the song is structured is perfect. That song sounds like it was originally meant for blink with Mark singing over the it hurts parts. They'd probably have the chorus sound more edgy too, at least with the guitars. It's definitely one of the stronger tracks from that album I think.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I love Whisper and I think about half of Empire is great.  

Too bad anything else he's put out including neighborhoods and DED have ranged from rehashed rip-offs of himself  to straight up trash. 

I loved Whisper, couldn't get into Empire at all and I've tried multiple times since. I'd pick love over empire anyday ...

and thats the gayest thing i have ever said.

1 minute ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

i loved whisper when it came out but it's probably my least favourite ava album to date, didn't age well at all

I listened to it recently and it held up for me, although it took me a little bit to get over the fucking breathing. 

Just got around to watching the full Joe Rogan / Tom interview. Jesus, he really is fucking out there these days. I don't know much about aliens and warp drives and shit, but I'd imagine like 5-10% of the things he said likely have some truth to them, but the way he was twitching, tweaking, and going on and on, he looked like a lunatic. I was cracking up when he said "you're not going to believe it, but there is a connection..... A connection between Atlantis"

I miss fat tom.

• Like 3