The Tom Delonge Thread

Meltdown Tracker

7 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

Oh you just haven't responded to me much lately. Wasn't sure if I was on your ignore list. Hope you had a good holiday.

Same to you man. I've never ignored anyone on here. Either way, nothing personal, just giving you crap

• Like 1

I am finding less and less fault with Tom these days.

The bottom line is; he doesn't want to do Blink anymore. That's it. If you were set financially would you work at a job you hated? I wouldn't. People have some irrational feeling that its like his obligation to go back to a job he doesn't want to do.

Now, a case can be made that he was using Blink in the reunion years, he most certainly was. But Mark and Travis were using it as much or more. Mark Hoppus is such a pussy that he can't hack it as a songwriter or something, so he used Blink's name and Tom, and contributed jack shit to the process. A stronger person would have been able to take control of that.

To this day Mark is using the Blink name under false pretenses. At least Tom was man enough to step away from something he no longer had passion for.

19 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

The bottom line is; he doesn't want to do Blink anymore. That's it. If you were set financially would you work at a job you hated? I wouldn't. People have some irrational feeling that its like his obligation to go back to a job he doesn't want to do.

Now, a case can be made that he was using Blink in the reunion years, he most certainly was. But Mark and Travis were using it as much or more. Mark Hoppus is such a pussy that he can't hack it as a songwriter or something, so he used Blink's name and Tom, and contributed jack shit to the process. A stronger person would have been able to take control of that.

To this day Mark is using the Blink name under false pretenses. At least Tom was man enough to step away from something he no longer had passion for.

Yea, he was “man enough” to step away again after stringing everybody along and having his manager do all the talking. It’s the way he did it that is frustrating to me, not the act itself.

39 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Perhaps it is time to put your Tom Delonge shrine back up? He is risen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

The issue is that Tom's heart wasn't in it, yet he kept reaping the benefits of playing the shows but refused to record new material or call it quits. Then he blamed the other members ("found it hard as hell to commit") for his shortcomings, and like you said, hid behind his manager. He's a selfish douche bag. I don't mind not being interested in playing in Blink, but then you should quit or tell your band members how you honestly feel and see if something can be worked out. Instead, he misled them and dragged his feet for as long as he could. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Speedo said:

If I had the chance to phone it in and still collect a fat paycheck then I absolutely would in a heartbeat. 

Would you do that assuming all the following applied:

• You already have $30+ million saved (ballpark on how much Tom had in 2015).
  • Your job involves working and collaborating with your [former] best friends.
  • You were already a dick 11 years ago and fucked everything up with your selfish attitude. You only re-joined because your new band failed to become popular and your friend/bandmate almost died. 

I feel like it would be hard to justify given Tom's circumstances... 

3 minutes ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

Would you do that assuming all the following applied:

• You already have $30+ million saved (ballpark on how much Tom had in 2015).
  • Your job involves working and collaborating with your [former] best friends.
  • You were already a dick 11 years ago and fucked everything up with your selfish attitude. You only re-joined because your new band failed to become popular and your friend/bandmate almost died. 

I feel like it would be hard to justify given Tom's circumstances... 

Yes to the first one.

Yes to the second one but that's because the "best friends" thing was mostly gimmicky label nonsense. I'm not saying they weren't friends or even best friends but it was super played up. There are plenty of great bands with members who all hate each other. Being in a band at that level is a job and sometimes that means working with people you can't stand.

Your third point is a bit loaded but in a general sense yes if my former band was more successful than my failing current band and I needed to generate income then absolutely. I probably wouldn't have played it the same way as they did ... rebuilding friendships and all that nonsense and I think Tom was an idiot to not give in and write and record together but I'm still a yes.

19 hours ago, Speedo said:

I don't know if this is shared by anyone else but despite the bridges and PLG I was excited to hear what would come next after DED. It was a great EP and it felt like more of a natural progression than Neighborhoods. I'm bummed that'll never happen. 

I doubt Mark is stopping a BCR reunion but I also don't want one. It won't be the same, part of BCRs charm was the simplistic and aggressive style Tom had adopted and those days are gone. BCR these days qould just sound like AvA lite and that shit would be ethan as fuck. I'm glad it isn't happening.

Agreed. I still think there’s a decent chance that after the Feldy/Skiba era runs its course (could be one more album or 5 more, and Skiba could be permanent), Tom returns when the band is washed up (commercially). Similar to what happened with Slash and Axl in GnR.

• Like 1

Think about this: Oliver was the one who spent years railing against Tom. AND THEN he spent years bragging about how he was right about Tom all along. And now... he doesn't blame Tom at all.

You can't make this stuff up lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Think about this: Oliver was the one who spent years railing against Tom. AND THEN he spent years bragging about how he was right about Tom all along. And now... he doesn't blame Tom at all.

To be fair, Blink’s sound changed quite a bit and it understandably made some miss Tom. But yeah Oliver loves to be a contrarian to get attention.

• Like 1

the fact is, love him or hate him, blink was always more tom than mark.

he picked up the slack. when he became uninterested thats when it fell apart.

maybe mark could "write" a song, but even +44 didnt amount to anything until they brought the other two dudes in.

theres an excerpt from mark i posted a few pages back. i'm paraphrasing but it's along the lines of 

"i had a few scraps. tom had a lot of ideas. he always has ideas"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tom18222 said:

the fact is, love him or hate him, blink was always more tom than mark.

he picked up the slack. when he became uninterested thats when it fell apart.

maybe mark could "write" a song, but even +44 didnt amount to anything until they brought the other two dudes in.

theres an excerpt from mark i posted a few pages back. i'm paraphrasing but it's along the lines of 

"i had a few scraps. tom had a lot of ideas. he always has ideas"

Well he had No It Isn't before Craig and Shane and.... um.... that's it probably.

I wanna say Tom was the creative aspect behind blink and mark was the drive behind the band and Travis was the engine that kept it all moving. They were three dudes who came together at the right moment and meshed perfect as far as making pop punk music goes that inspired millions since the 90s. I also feel like it started to fall apart the more they got older and started changing ideas on who and what they wanna tobe as a band and and individual... mark had great songs in the early days when he was full of angst of being a teen/ twenty something and now he has everything he could ever imagine... what’s his inspiration to write like he used to with metaphors that made sense to use and were clever in lines throughout songs. Tom on the other hand went from not giving a fuck playing sloppy fast drunk shit to wanting to be grandiose stadium rock with space and love metaphors and stuff that kids couldn’t relate to. Their styles just clashed too much after their toypaj/ untitled era came and passed. I also get that playing blink songs for 25 years can get stale and it becomes monotonous playing about high school parties and females when you’re pushing 50 with marriages and families. Mark probably hired feldy because he just out of ideas.. he loves blink, he loves what he does and playing for fans and playing the hits of his youth days of yesteryear but he just doesn’t have any ideas and to stay relevant he needs to push out more material or continuing on as Greatest hits band with 2/3 members which will die off pretty quick.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GuitarPunk2512 said:

I wanna say Tom was the creative aspect behind blink and mark was the drive behind the band and Travis was the engine that kept it all moving. They were three dudes who came together at the right moment and meshed perfect as far as making pop punk music goes that inspired millions since the 90s. I also feel like it started to fall apart the more they got older and started changing ideas on who and what they wanna tobe as a band and and individual... mark had great songs in the early days when he was full of angst of being a teen/ twenty something and now he has everything he could ever imagine... what’s his inspiration to write like he used to with metaphors that made sense to use and were clever in lines throughout songs. Tom on the other hand went from not giving a fuck playing sloppy fast drunk shit to wanting to be grandiose stadium rock with space and love metaphors and stuff that kids couldn’t relate to. Their styles just clashed too much after their toypaj/ untitled era came and passed. I also get that playing blink songs for 25 years can get stale and it becomes monotonous playing about high school parties and females when you’re pushing 50 with marriages and families. Mark probably hired feldy because he just out of ideas.. he loves blink, he loves what he does and playing for fans and playing the hits of his youth days of yesteryear but he just doesn’t have any ideas and to stay relevant he needs to push out more material or continuing on as Greatest hits band with 2/3 members which will die off pretty quick.  

Definitely agree with this, although I do think Mark has ideas, just he's very insecure of his own songs which he's admitted in the past. I kinda relate to it in a sense. I have songs in my head that people would like whereas I find them trash. But I have other ideas I wanna work on that I won't find trash. Mark is along that kinda reign I think except he believes most of his ideas are trash, when they probably aren't. They did write a crap load of songs before Feldman came onto the scene only for Feldman to downplay the songs and say they're not blink-182.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

The issue is that Tom's heart wasn't in it, yet he kept reaping the benefits of playing the shows but refused to record new material or call it quits. Then he blamed the other members ("found it hard as hell to commit") for his shortcomings, and like you said, hid behind his manager. He's a selfish douche bag. I don't mind not being interested in playing in Blink, but then you should quit or tell your band members how you honestly feel and see if something can be worked out. Instead, he misled them and dragged his feet for as long as he could. 

I don't disagree with this really.

But how is this any different from what Mark is currently doing? Kind of coasting along letting some writer for hire have creative control the band while Mark/Travis collect a check.

I'd say Mark/Travis are worse at this point. At least Tom walked away.

17 hours ago, Ghent said:

The longer Mark and Travis continue this charade, the better Tom looks.

Just how it is.

9 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

Well he had No It Isn't before Craig and Shane and.... um.... that's it probably.

that's not correct at all. at the very least, he had: no it isn't, make you smile, cliff diving, and little death. that's why early demos of those songs exist.

also, mark didn't officially bring those two guys on board until the majority of the album was already written and recorded.

i don't think mark is capable of writing songs anymore and hasn't been for a long time but to say he didn't write that entire +44 album is just ridiculous 

• Like 1