California discussion

boxelder

I hate left alone with a passion, that's just me though.

That is the one that truly feels like generic pop punk by anyone and just elevates all the flaws I find in the album at the worst time because I am thoroughly enjoying the beginning... Cynical, BTD, los Angeles, soohm, no future.. Then a string of pop comes in and left alone takes it to the point I can't handle it and want to get to San Diego and eventually TOTTM.

8 songs in and I like it so far.

It's really poppy at points, but so was Enema. But other then Enema most of the songs I've heard so far have some sort of melancholic feel to it, what I really enjoy.

Since 2003 I whish they'd do another album in the spirit of selftitled. But by now I have accepted this will just not happen. Probably mainly due to the lack of Jerry. I think the new material is as good as blink will get without him. It's more pop then punk, but if you accept that pop music is not the devil you can really enjoy it. 

So obviously, these lyrics Mark snap chatted a while back never made it to the standard edition of California

But I'm willing to bet these lyrics will end up belonging to Hey, I'm Sorry bonus track

Also interesting the title wording of the song title Hey, I'm Sorry is very similar to No, It Isn't. By the look of the lyrics, it's shaping up to be follow up to No, It Isn't.

12717935_10207005309266125_4681878385064

• Like 3

Feldman ruined the album, it smells like goldfinger everywhere but a bunch of songs. Home, California, LA, San Diego, Bored and No Future are the best imo by far, specially the first two. Tom was right at the end, working with that guy was not the right choice, no matter how he pushed the lyrics and the songs out of the guys, they sound nothing like blink should sound imo in this very album. Hope they release more mature and experimental stuff with skiba, something like Alkaline's Sadie, which is an awesome tune.

• Like 1

Overall i think the album is good, a few tracks that have a little to much 5sos feel.. but overall i'm happy with it. Got a couple of bangers. Definetly the best thing they released since self titled. I do think from here on, the only thing they can do is grow. Cynical is CRAZY, Just think its aan little short. The 3 songs that have been released earlier i love for sure. Love Los Angeles ( got a little oldschool linkinpark vibe in there imo). I dont realy like sober and that ballad thingy they did. 

Overall a solid 7,5/10

i don't like goldfinger, so i never really listened to goldfinger. for me the blink songs are not ruined by goldfinger, because i don't have a fucking clue how goldfinger sounds like (except 2 songs: superman and their 99 red balloons cover).

if i would listen to goldfinger, i'd probably like goldfinger, and wouldn't have a problem with blink sounding like goldfinger, because i would like goldfinger.

fucking pointless goldfinger arguments...

edit: goldfinger. because it seems like some of you fuckers love this word. goldfinger.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, bennett said:

where were all of the cali band shoutouts mark had spoken about that were all over the album? i remember him mentioning rancid and a few others 

Chorus to KotW is a shoutout to Bad Religion(the "No Control" line". I hear lots of NOFX hints.

16 hours ago, Anthem said:

seriously, why the hell did Mark think it was okay for Sober to happen?  Is that the kind thing that he pushed for when Tom was in the band?  hopefully it's just a case of rock show/first date.

I like that you're more happy with them forced to write pop music  by the label/forcing hits rather than honestly making something you think sucks.

2 hours ago, fivesixxx said:

Feldman ruined the album, it smells like goldfinger everywhere but a bunch of songs. Home, California, LA, San Diego, Bored and No Future are the best imo by far, specially the first two. Tom was right at the end, working with that guy was not the right choice, no matter how he pushed the lyrics and the songs out of the guys, they sound nothing like blink should sound imo in this very album. Hope they release more mature and experimental stuff with skiba, something like Alkaline's Sadie, which is an awesome tune.

I like the album so much but you are totally right about the Goldfinger/Feldmann thing

Sadie is my favorite from Alkaline Trio, my love for that song is infinite

• Like 1