California discussion

boxelder

24 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Luckily, your every day, average, sane blink fan loves the new stuff and couldn't give a fuck how much input the producer of the album may or may not have had in constructing the songs.

:)

Classic example of speaking for a whole group when you should just speak for yourself. Yeah, you and some others here think it's all perfect and can't tell any differences in production or sound. That's fine by me, honestly. But there are plenty of us who do sense a difference, including friends of mine in the real world who have been Blink fans forever too. But for them it's more of just a shrug and a "eh, I don't know I don't really like it, it sounds overproduced" and that's it. People here are just trolling back and forth at each other at this point.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, jd9973l said:

I get a few of them, but every song has them and alot sound out of place

In some of them, the melody is there but the overabundance of vocals just makes it annoying. I think there are quite a few that would have worked better as little guitar riffs, especially in a Blink album with zero guitar riffs! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Champ182 said:

In some of them, the melody is there but the overabundance of vocals just makes it annoying. I think there are quite a few that would have worked better as little guitar riffs, especially in a Blink album with zero guitar riffs! 

1 guitar riff, to be sure. In a 30 second song. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, helen_hoppus said:

thank goddess that after reading all of this negative opinions, reviews and etc., my opinion about Cali absolutely hasn't changed. i love this album, i love feldy - and still continue to enjoy this

Same. I'm listening to it now. I dunno wtf everyone is complaining about. Kings of the weekend is a serious banger. Blast that shit

• Like 5

Just now, Scott. said:

Same. I'm listening to it. I dunno wtf everyone is complaining about. Kings of the weekend is a serious banger. Blast that shit

I'm pretty more like KOTW now, than from the moment of first listening. this Matt's verse - it's incredible 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, helen_hoppus said:

I'm pretty more like KOTW now, than from the moment of first listening. this Matt's verse - it's incredible 

Yeah I wasn't keen at first but it's quickly become one of my faves. The only song I'm not crazy on is TS. I like it but it's the weakest song for me

5 hours ago, Olidamus said:

Aren't a producer and a writer two different things? Every professional band has a producer for hire, that can't be faulted, the band can't expect to produce stuff.

Writing songs is a different matter. The Beatles had George Martin but he didn't write their music, he recorded it.

He arranged it.

5 minutes ago, Scott. said:

Yeah I wasn't keen at first but it's quickly become one of my faves. The only song I'm not crazy on is TS. I like it but it's the weakest song for me

SAME. i don't know why i even can't remember the lyrics tbh, my heart just isn't in it, haha

5 hours ago, Ghent said:

That's just not true.

What is, in my opinion, one of their best songs ever (A Day in the Life), Martin composed AND orchestrated the signature parts of that song. Without those parts, that song is completely different. Talk about adding some nanananas/whoawhoawhoas!

Here is a random McCartney quote I just found about Martin's input on Yesterday:

"I brought the song “Yesterday” to a recording session and the guys in the band suggested that I sang it solo and accompany myself on guitar. After I had done this George Martin said to me, “Paul I have an idea of putting a string quartet on the record”. I said, “Oh no George, we are a rock and roll band and I don’t think it’s a good idea”.

He took my chords that I showed him and spread the notes out across the piano, putting the cello in the low octave and the first violin in a high octave and gave me my first lesson in how strings were voiced for a quartet. When we recorded the string quartet at Abbey Road, it was so thrilling to know his idea was so correct that I went round telling people about it for weeks. His idea obviously worked because the song subsequently became one of the most recorded songs ever with versions by Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Ray Charles, Marvin Gaye and thousands more."

If you were to cover the song, you wouldn't get songwriting credits for it if you arranged it differently. I think there's a difference between writing a song and writing an arrangement for a song. 

1 hour ago, Nshesaid said:

They only mentioned Feldmann was sitting down to help write Bored to Death.. not much mention elsewhere other than helping push songs along 

Feldmann said he brought them the initial idea to Cynical in his track by track. He says a couple things about how he helped in his track by track interview.

24 minutes ago, Scott. said:

You're nuts. That song is fantastic, better than most Neighborhoods songs tbh.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

I only like the drums in TS and some of the pre n post chorus.. Otherwise that and left alone are my only skips.. Sometimes Los Angeles now..

Left Alone takes cake as worst though, I know I'm alone on that thought. It is just so bland and the least blink song imo

You're fucking insane. That chorus is immense.

• Like 2

Hi guys! It's been a while :P

Is the guy above me for real? Left alone is in my top 3 from this record!

Anyway, here's what I think about this album: First few listens I was a bit dissapointed. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, so I guess I was a bit confused. Now I bloody love it! I think there isn't a song thats a 10/10, but as a whole it works really well. Pretty solid album.

I compulsively listened to San Diego for days, the chorus felt so catchy I couldnt help myself lol. Now Im really enjoying California and Shes out of her mind.

The weakest songs imo are kings of the weekend & rabbit hole.

Curious as to how they will sound live...

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, ☆★Adri★☆ said:

Hi guys! It's been a while :P

Is the guy above me for real? Left alone is in my top 3 from this record!

Anyway, here's what I think about this album: First few listens I was a bit dissapointed. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, so I guess I was a bit confused. Now I bloody love it! I think there isn't a song thats a 10/10, but as a whole it works really well. Pretty solid album.

I compulsively listened to San Diego for days, the chorus felt so catchy I couldnt help myself lol. Now Im really enjoying California and Shes out of her mind.

The weakest songs imo are kings of the weekend & rabbit hole.

Curious as to how they will sound live...

hola!

• Like 1