California discussion

boxelder

10 minutes ago, boxelder said:

speaking of all that (selling out and stuff), here's something that has been on my mind while listening to this record: was this a concentrated effort by mark and co to write a HIT album? we don't know just yet if sober or SOOHM will take off on pop radio (though it appears BTD is making a dent), but it's number one and it's a big deal right now. because here's my reasoning. mark has said before that he loved every second of EOTS and wanted to do it over again with TOYPAJ. he's also called 1999 the best year of his life. mark seemed pretty happy being gigantically famous/making hits. is california trying to do that again? with the slight change in sound/coterie of producers and writers?

I think Mark has always wanted to make a record like this but Tom was way controlling in the reformation years.  I mean seriously listen to Dogs Eating Dogs,  he is a glorified back up singer on that EP.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blink182life-4life said:

I agree he deserves it.   But could not quite get there in alk3 so he sold out a bit as I said earlier and rocks out to all the small things every night while John Feldman spoon feeds him songs that have  na na na or whoa oh oh in them. 

I actually really like skibas solo work too.   So I am a fan.  Just how I view this situation I guess.   

Ya I just don't really see it as selling out.  As a musician, I think you always want to try new things and take it as far as you can go. 

But I agree that it's fucking weird to see him from singing nose over tail, clavicle, this could be love  to all the small things.  In fact I didn't like the move at first but with their own songs, it's starting to grow on me.  I think Travis like Tom doesn't have to have Blink, he is the greatest drummer of our generation and he could get any gig.  Mark NEEDS blink and he WANTS blink.  I think Mark deserves to keep playing blink songs and if you're Matt how could you say no to that proposition.

20 minutes ago, boxelder said:

speaking of all that (selling out and stuff), here's something that has been on my mind while listening to this record: was this a concentrated effort by mark and co to write a HIT album? we don't know just yet if sober or SOOHM will take off on pop radio (though it appears BTD is making a dent), but it's number one and it's a big deal right now. because here's my reasoning. mark has said before that he loved every second of EOTS and wanted to do it over again with TOYPAJ. he's also called 1999 the best year of his life. mark seemed pretty happy being gigantically famous/making hits. is california trying to do that again? with the slight change in sound/coterie of producers and writers?

I could see this. Definitely 

4 minutes ago, cowboysguitars said:

Ya I just don't really see it as selling out.  As a musician, I think you always want to try new things and take it as far as you can go. 

But I agree that it's fucking weird to see him from singing nose over tail, clavicle, this could be love  to all the small things.  In fact I didn't like the move at first but with their own songs, it's starting to grow on me.  I think Travis like Tom doesn't have to have Blink, he is the greatest drummer of our generation and he could get any gig.  Mark NEEDS blink and he WANTS blink.  I think Mark deserves to keep playing blink songs and if you're Matt how could you say no to that proposition.

I'm happiest for mark in all of this.  I always felt he cared about the fans.   

18 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

Mark should get zero criticism for 'caring too much' about Blink... if Tom cared as much too, it wouldn't be a thing to talk about..Tom just puts that idea in your yead because he's 'so moved on'

Ya it's kind of crazy.  This album is a turning point for the legacy of blink.  Cause do I think Tom will play with blink again? Yes.  Will they release new material again together? I think that remains to be seen.  With Mark spearheading this direction of blink, successful album release and huge tour..I don't think Mark is going to let Tom control so much of what blink does again, like I think he did in 2008 till now.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ☆★Adri★☆ said:

Haha Scotty boy! Im great, thanks. Living in Abu Dhabi now, broke up with the missus, but loving life :P Everything else is the same haha.

What about you?

Ill stick around here. Missed you guys!

Adri!!! nice one mate.

Shame to hear about the missus, was the distance too much? glad to hear you're loving live, occasionally see photos on your Facebook and you look like you're living the dream!

26 minutes ago, Poet Danderson said:

Adri!!! nice one mate.

Shame to hear about the missus, was the distance too much? glad to hear you're loving live, occasionally see photos on your Facebook and you look like you're living the dream!

Is this you Dan? lmao @ your name! Yeah the distance killed it in the end. After 9 years, being single is not so bad actually haha.

Hope youre all good mate :)

10 hours ago, Blink182life-4life said:

In the sense that with alkaline trio he did all of what you just said playing clubs working hard writing his own music.   

With blink they let Feldman direct the sound write some of the music, take an awful large amount of credit for it.  Plus  he's playing all of someone else's hits every single night.  

I'm not sure this experience is as authentic as what he did in alk3 that is what I mean.  

I wonder if it was a situation like he just showed up at work as the new guy. Kind of kept his mouth shut, sung the stuff they thought was a good idea and ran with it.

I dont really feel to much skiba influence

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, jd9973l said:

I wonder if it was a situation like he just showed up at work as the new guy. Kind of kept his mouth shut, sung the stuff they thought was a good idea and ran with it.

I dont really feel to much skiba influence

Keep his mouth shut I agree.    Be on good morning America,  sell out huge venues on a gigantic cross country tour,  do dozens on interviews,  number one album etc.   I know alkaline trio is not some indie band but there fame was nothing like this currently.   I say good for him. 

Sadly however other than travis who makes his presence known no matter who or what he is working with I don't feel much influence from Mark or Matt.   There's a few solid bass lines on this album.   Soohm seems like a mark song through and through but those moments are few and far id say

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Blink182life-4life said:

Keep his mouth shut I agree.    Be on good morning America,  sell out huge venues on a gigantic cross country tour,  do dozens on interviews,  number one album etc.   I know alkaline trio is not some indie band but there fame was nothing like this currently.   I say good for him. 

Sadly however other than travis who makes his presence known no matter who or what he is working with I don't feel much influence from Mark or Matt.   There's a few solid bass lines on this album.   Soohm seems like a mark song through and through but those moments are few and far id say

Travis being the most talented dude in the band made his presence known, but I agree that Mark and Matt can't seem to put in enough of their influence behind Feldmann.

5 minutes ago, The Watcher on the Wall said:

So now it's just a Feldmann/Travis record with a splash of Mark and no Matt? What's next? Feldmann wrote the drum parts?

Obviously-

if you listen closely to Hillary Duff songs you will hear the EXACT SAME BEATS used as on California. it makes you wonder if Feldmann didn't RECORD some of the drums himself as well. there is a "feldmann fill" present throughout the album, that was likely a requirement of the record deal they signed with BMG...all pop punk hits have it. Mark just couldn't stand up to the hot shot executives and Feldmann took everything over...This caused friction between Feldmann and Skiba, to the point that Feldmann was in a position to BURY Skiba.. He decided (along with Sony BMG, of course) to purposely diminish Skiba's role on the album. If you listen, Feldmann actually records several guitar parts (it's obvious just listen to ANY 5SOS song). It's a clear attempt to undermine Skiba's influence so that eventually, Feldmann himself can join the band.

BMG-182

obviously

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Obviously-

if you listen closely to Hillary Duff songs you will hear the EXACT SAME BEATS used as on California. it makes you wonder if Feldmann didn't RECORD some of the drums himself as well. there is a "feldmann fill" present throughout the album, that was likely a requirement of the record deal they signed with BMG...all pop punk hits have it. Mark just couldn't stand up to the hot shot executives and Feldmann took everything over...This caused friction between Feldmann and Skiba, to the point that Feldmann was in a position to BURY Skiba.. He decided (along with Sony BMG, of course) to purposely diminish Skiba's role on the album. If you listen, Feldmann actually records several guitar parts (it's obvious just listen to ANY 5SOS song). It's a clear attempt to undermine Skiba's influence so that eventually, Feldmann himself can join the band.

BMG-182

obviously

Yes