California discussion

boxelder

Its not hard to see that Feldman wrote/contributed/cohearsed them in a certain direction. I think its fair to say that Tom was the one pushing blink in the darker more deeper direction from untitled on, and then he leaves and they put out a super generic pop punk album. We've all complained that Mark cant write songs anymore and i think Feldman definitly was the driving force for this album. I think i would be less mad/disapointed if Feldman was made an actual member. Its like he just wants to be part of blinks legacy so much and have his two cents on it. 

• Like 2

A bit random, but this really hit home and made me a bit depressed because it's reality. You don't let someone else co write unless you're out of ideas.  He's absolutely right, there's a reason why so many don't feel at ease deep down about California, ppl can see through it if it's not honest.

Wish Mark & Travis had this same hunger to still make music they want to hear like it's day 1 of Blink.

I believe they were writing what they wanted to hear.. before they scrapped it.. They should have just stuck with that material.

Joe Rogan is a douche

• Like 1

I really don't understand this belief that they were somehow coerced into making California sound the way it does.

Mark has featured vocals on songs by, to name a few; All Time Low, Simple Plan, McBusted, and Neck Deep.

That should tell you everything that you need to know about his attitude to that type of music.

The guy wanted to make a fun, pop punk record and that's what they did.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, 2point5 said:

Every song on California is better than Marks recent attempts (Fighting the Gravity/Mh.4.18.2011). I'd rather have California with its overproduction and Feldmanns fingerprints over Marks piss poor efforts. At least it's listenable. 

I feel like some people who don't like fighting the gravity listen to about the first 30 seconds of it and dismiss it as "noise" and hit the skip button. Obviously there are people who simply don't like it, but there is actually a good song buried in there IMO.

I just listened to Neighborhoods in its entirety yesterday and my god does it blow California out of the water, its a shame what could have been if Tom had actually tried with that album.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nshesaid said:

A bit random, but this really hit home and made me a bit depressed because it's reality. You don't let someone else co write unless you're out of ideas.  He's absolutely right, there's a reason why so many don't feel at ease deep down about California, ppl can see through it if it's not honest.

Wish Mark & Travis had this same hunger to still make music they want to hear like it's day 1 of Blink.

I believe they were writing what they wanted to hear.. before they scrapped it.. They should have just stuck with that material.

Joe Rogan is a douche

1) it's not a fact that feldmann is really more than a producer (the co-writer credit is absolutely bullshit since he's a co-writer on every record he produced)

2) mark, travis and matt wrote about 30 songs before california. out of ideas?

they wrote a new set of songs with a producer, because their label wanted something specific. the label added feldmann to achieve the result they wanted... obviously california isn't the most honest album by blink because it was made to serve the label's wish. but that's it. you don't need to find other reasons to hate it ("they were out of ideas", "someone else wrote everything", blah blah).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

1) it's not a fact that feldmann is really more than a producer (the co-writer credit is absolutely bullshit since he's a co-writer on every record he produced)

2) mark, travis and matt wrote about 30 songs before california. out of ideas?

they wrote a new set of songs with a producer, because their label wanted something specific. the label added feldmann to achieve the result they wanted... obviously california isn't the most honest album by blink because it was made to serve the label's wish. but that's it. you don't need to find other reasons to hate it ("they were out of ideas", "someone else wrote everything", blah blah).

Please can you stop with this? It is a proven fact that Feldman helped write songs, he admitted, Matt admitted it, Mark admitted it. Feldman helped write the songs!!!

If Blink wrote a bunch of songs prior to Feldman, where in the holy fuck are they and why weren't they used? These so called "songs" are likely ideas in their formative stages that just weren't working. If they were decent, they'd have used them.

• Like 2

http://www.fuse.tv/2016/06/blink-182-california-producer-john-feldmann-track-by-track

For every song Feldman uses the word "we" when who wrote the song "we wrote this song" "we wrote that song".

"I gave them the option of a fast song". Fuck off Feldman, they had to get your permission? Asshole. God I hate this guy. Saw'd off prick.

• Like 6

The guy is credited, according to Wikipedia (graint of salt here) as the only WRITER for albums as "The Young and the Hopeless", "The Chronicles of Life and Death", "Cardiology" (three for Good Charlotte), "Dirty Work" (All time Low). I mean, if that's true, those bands are just lazy or what? Anyway, then, there's an interesting group of bands which have been produced and sharing writing credits with him.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

http://www.fuse.tv/2016/06/blink-182-california-producer-john-feldmann-track-by-track

For every song Feldman uses the word "we" when who wrote the song "we wrote this song" "we wrote that song".

"I gave them the option of a fast song". Fuck off Feldman, they had to get your permission? Asshole. God I hate this guy. Saw'd off prick.

What? you, you mean Feldmann CO-WROTE the album?! WHAAAATT? AND HE PRODUCED IT? WHAAAAAAAAT?

Oliver you didn't even know who John Feldmann was until weeks after the album came out.

This is just your new little pet tirade. Pretty sure you used to fight with me about Neighborhoods too. I liked it, you hated it. Now it's the pinnacle of all blink music.

'Round and round we go!

• Like 2

Has there been ANY quote about Feldman writing anything than a piece of Bored to Death? I'm pretty sure that's it, and that has been countered with a quote from Tom saying Finn did the same thing. 

Like, what if the band considers Feldman almost like a 4th member? They used to repeatedly call Finn a 4th member. 

• Like 2

I think a lot of us would care a lot less about Feldmann helping them write the songs if the songs themselves were any good. People are annoyed because to a lot of us the songs suck, and it makes us wonder how this band, who has previously written songs without producers that we love (dude ranch and prior, and neighbourhoods, if you wanna go the 'jerry did just as much' route) suddenly produce a bunch of crap when Feldmann is helping them.

it's not exactly a great logical leap. We've liked their previous efforts, Feldmann comes in and 'helps' and we like that outcome a lot less. seems fairly straight forward.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Kay said:

I think a lot of us would care a lot less about Feldmann helping them write the songs if the songs themselves were any good. People are annoyed because to a lot of us the songs suck

Yet 90 some percent of people on a message board that is hell-bent against Feldmann still voted that they enjoy the album?

4 minutes ago, Kay said:

who has previously written songs without producers that we love (dude ranch and prior, and neighbourhoods, if you wanna go the 'jerry did just as much' route) suddenly produce a bunch of crap when Feldmann is helping them.

Dude Ranch was produced by Mark Trombino...........