California discussion

boxelder

25 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

They essentially did as the only good reviews were from payola rags like Alternative Press, Rock Sound, and Kerrang. Basically scene crap that shells out for major labels to sell hot topic rock.

They had one number 1 single, not back to back. Up All Night also charted higher in the bigger charts than BTD. So really, UAN has more going for it.

and how was this tour the most successful? Did they sell more VIP packages or something?

Somebody liked the album...that's evidence they've been paid off!! I liked the album and they didn't pay me anything. I feel cheated.

Up All Night did chart higher on the hot 100, while BTD charted higher on all rock charts. She's out of her mind has virtually tied UAN on Rock charts. And of course sales of California blow Neighborhoods out of the water when factoring the era of their releases. 

I take back what I said about the tours, because the reunion tour was very successful. But the second US tour post reunion had massive amounts of unsold tickets, which the first Skiba tour did not, as far as I know. 

39 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

They essentially did as the only good reviews were from payola rags like Alternative Press, Rock Sound, and Kerrang. Basically scene crap that shells out for major labels to sell hot topic rock.

They had one number 1 single, not back to back. Up All Night also charted higher in the bigger charts than BTD. So really, UAN has more going for it.

and how was this tour the most successful? Did they sell more VIP packages or something?

Although I wouldn't say every good review is being 'paid' -because is not accurate-, you put the spot on the right direction: mainstream. Like if that was a reliable source for anything.

Aside from this, and reading some posts, it's still amazing for me how the #1 album and #1 single thing is still used as the flagship argument on blink being good and all. It's amazing, cause by that same reason, we can just say that every single artist which reach #1 with a song or an album or airplay (and that includes The Offspring recently -you can read it here-) is a badass band; and that's just not true, have a look on the history of #1s, and cringe. I can agree on the "they deserve te attention" argument and everything like that, but, well... I'm not gonna repeat myself again.

Come on...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

the whole show can be downloaded from thepiratebay.

or blink's part from here: https://mega.nz/#!IBozVJpK!UMOmH37i2ack5SsIFvPbjxq9msllQpEXVZWQyuOirqM

Thank you. I've seen the entire performance now. Better than expected. Hoppus is able to hold it together on the bridge, which I wasn't expecting at all.

10 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Although I wouldn't say every good review is being 'paid' -because is not accurate-, you put the spot on the right direction: mainstream. Like if that was a reliable source for anything.

Aside from this, and reading some posts, it's still amazing for me how the #1 album and #1 single thing is still used as the flagship argument on blink being good and all. It's amazing, cause by that same reason, we can just say that every single artist which reach #1 with a song or an album or airplay (and that includes The Offspring recently -you can read it here-) is a badass band; and that's just not true, have a look on the history of #1s, and cringe. I can agree on the "they deserve te attention" argument and everything like that, but, well... I'm not gonna repeat myself again.

Come on...

Some blink fans like the album and some blink fans don't like the album. I think we can all acknowledge that. No big deal. 

But there are doom and gloom posts about the status of the band. When the evidence says the band is doing perfectly fine. But if you want to be in denial that the band is doing well, that's you're prerogative - not repeating yourself again would probably be appreciated by most though. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, EveryonebutOliveriswrong said:

Some blink fans like the album and some blink fans don't like the album. I think we can all acknowledge that. No big deal. 

But there are doom and gloom posts about the status of the band. When the evidence says the band is doing perfectly fine. But if you want to be in denial that the band is doing well, that's you're prerogative - not repeating yourself again would probably be appreciated by most though. 

I agree with this as you just pointed it out on this post.

• Yes, some blink fans like the album and some not. To each it's own. A matter of tastes and what not. I enjoy it, overall. I swear ;)
  • Yeah, the opinions about the band are just polarized. But, in my opinion, I think it's due to the fact that we mix things that we should make difference. As we have discussed a few weeks ago. Artistic success versus commercial success and how they come, and how they are different things.
  • I don't deny the fact that blink is in their sweetest moment since... Enema? It's obvious they are, and, somehow, it's nice to see them enjoying themselves after all. They are enjoying great exposure and some recognison, like the Grammy nomination. Which it's cool. So, nope my prerogrative is not to deny that. I never did, in fact. My prerogative is to be able to recognize the moment they are enjoying, but being able to critizice some of the aspects that are related with the way the industry make that 'special moments' happen, and separate them from the artistic side of the whole thing. I think everyone here is mature enough to put things in perspective to be able to see not only the Wonderland side of the story.

So yes, I can see all of the things you said, and I agree with them.

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Yeah, because alternative/underground magazines and newspapers are known for attracting the best talent with their quality journalism and high salaries..

I must have different ears than everyone who thinks this sucks....Mark actually has improved drastically singing this, not sure if they tune down or what, and the fact that Skiba hits those long "yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh"s over and over and almost perfectly is amazing.  

Inb4: ghentsock, calitroll, feldybot

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MSandt said:

Yeah, because alternative/underground magazines and newspapers are known for attracting the best talent with their quality journalism and high salaries..

Sure, there are really bad alternative mags. As everything in life. But you know what we're talking about.

12 hours ago, jordidanen95 said:

I hate how blink guitarists get fat.

cause both matt and tom are pretty handsome if they would lose that extra weight....it's a common thing among people around 40....wouldn't happen with a healthy diet and a little exercise though....i mean don't you wanna look good when ur in band...

I would suggest wearing green feathers on the top of a bowlerhat, then he'd look good!

3 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

Good music? They're getting the worst reviews of their career. People here are pretty "meh" about the California music and fans here are begging for Tom to come back. Things are very, very dark in the blink camp with Skiba eating through his emotions and becoming too large to play the right notes. I'm sure they'll dress like dumbasses at the Grammys. Shit ain't gonna get better by the looks of it.

tbf most people dress like dumbasses at the Grammys!

• Like 1

It blows my mind that people think they sounded 'awesome' on Kimmel last night. I watch a lot of these bands and artists play late night shows and blinks performance was one of the worst I've seen. I also hate saying this because they are my favorite band and I want them to sound good on national tv. But for guys who have been playing music for 20 plus years they really should sound a lot better. It wasn't their worst performance but it definitely wasn't great.

• Like 3