California discussion

boxelder

I don't hear country either. I just hear the most annoying nananas I've ever heard. Would rather listen to a Fall Out Boy song and I don't like Fall Out Boy. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy poppy blink. Boxing Day was very boy band-ish in that pre-chorus but at the same time it sounded great. Sober is arguably the worst blink song for me. Also can't stand She's Out of Her Mind, California, Rabbit Hole and The Only Thing That Matters. I can see why people like The Only Thing That Matters though. That's the closest sounding song from California that sounds like it belongs on Take Off. I just don't like the song. Can't get into it. The other songs to me are either ok, solid or great.

Have to agree on Ghent kind of that there's songs that may sound more All Time Low-ish like No Future. Funnily enough, I find that a solid song yet I hate ATL.

• Like 1

i guess where i was coming from in comparing to the florida georgia line is just the way the guitars sound, the chord progression they're using, and the overall production. FGL stretches "country" as far as it'll go -- they're basically a pop duo singing about country themes. sober isn't literally country, it's just got a sound that's always reminded me of FGL, particularly in the na-na-na section

• Like 4

If Kings of the Weekend had a different title and lyrics I would like it a lot. The music is good, but the whole idea of singing about being "kings of the weekend" is so cringey to me. It's like almost Rebecca Black "Friday" level of stupid. If I ignore the lyrics I like the song. I like the BCR-like guitar riff (which also one of the only guitar riffs on the entire record).

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

If Kings of the Weekend had a different title and lyrics I would like it a lot. The music is good, but the whole idea of singing about being "kings of the weekend" is so cringey to me. It's like almost Rebecca Black "Friday" level of stupid. If I ignore the lyrics I like the song. I like the BCR-like guitar riff (which also one of the only guitar riffs on the entire record).

I think the chorus is solid, and the concept could be saved if the verses made it appear as a nostalgia looking back thing. like the chorus is the memory of their teen years, or something. I actually think its one of the better choruses on the record but the verses are incredibly dull and pointless. the song had potential. 

27 minutes ago, Kay said:

I think the chorus is solid, and the concept could be saved if the verses made it appear as a nostalgia looking back thing. like the chorus is the memory of their teen years, or something. I actually think its one of the better choruses on the record but the verses are incredibly dull and pointless. the song had potential. 

Eh, I guess if you look at it that way (looking back on a memory of their youth) it's not as bad as looking at it as a group of 40-year-old men singing about their current life. That does help to be honest.

• Like 1

This song could have have been much better if they had worked on the lyrics and the concept a bit...ok, a lot.

I don't have any problems with the sound and the structure of the song, I like them. The first verse sounds dull, Matt's verse flows effortlessly though and I like it. I also love the Bad Religion reference. I just can't stand the friday night thing and of course "until Monday morning strikes again we are the kings of the weekend".  

• Like 1

I loved untitled when it came out, and was a fan from way before then. the only untitled one that rubbed me the wrong way and always has was Down but that was the third single and well after the album release so I was already in love with the album by that point. 

I was here when the record came out, I do remember discussions / arguments over it but I don't recall there being major hate for it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, boxelder said:

i guess where i was coming from in comparing to the florida georgia line is just the way the guitars sound, the chord progression they're using, and the overall production. FGL stretches "country" as far as it'll go -- they're basically a pop duo singing about country themes. sober isn't literally country, it's just got a sound that's always reminded me of FGL, particularly in the na-na-na section

I see that completely. It's just lazy generic pop writing.

7 hours ago, Elisa said:

I just can't stand the friday night thing and of course "until Monday morning strikes again we are the kings of the weekend".  

That's my favorite part, got the bass jamming underneath it and then then guitar kicks in! I love KOTW and the energy it brings, but Mark's first verse is pretty bad lyrically. It's one of the moments where I can envision Feldy saying "Write down the first thing that comes to your mind!" and them actually going with it. lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ryan1125 said:

That's my favorite part, got the bass jamming underneath it and then then guitar kicks in! I love KOTW and the energy it brings, but Mark's first verse is pretty bad lyrically. It's one of the moments where I can envision Feldy saying "Write down the first thing that comes to your mind!" and them actually going with it. lol. 

The bass! I forgot to say it earlier but yeah, it's probably the best thing of the song.

I first started listening to blink in 2000. I was 7. Just liked the video of All the Small Things and What's My Age Again. Then around a year later, I remember the First Date video and I remember seeing the Rock Show and thinking it was the fastest song I ever heard or something. I got those two albums as well and instantly fell in love with the Take Off album. Story of a Lonely Guy and Give Me One Good reason were favourites of mine. Loved Stay Together for the Kids too, that was their first song I could actually relate to. Anthem Part Two was another one I loved as well. That was my favourite album as a kid.

Then the smiley face album came out. I remember seeing the video for Feeling This on the Kerrang channel and I was at my cousins who was a big fan. My uncle also enjoyed blink but for some reason he hated that song. I just remember him saying "this song is shite" but I loved it. Then I bought the album and it just wasn't what I expected. Loved Feeling This, I Miss You and Always when I first heard those songs. Obvious was one I enjoyed too.

I still remember hearing All of This and thinking "what the fuck is this?" Had the same thought for the Fallen Interlude too. But then as I got older, that album grew on me. I started finding the Take Off album boring. I started to like Enema way more than Take Off. Smiley face just became my favourite album of all time when I reached my late teens. I just love that sound they were aiming for. Like blink-182 meets Fugazi meets the Cure meets Refused meets whatever other band influenced them. I adore every song on that album. It's also the album that has influenced me the most.

As for Enema, that album is the best pure pop punk album there is IMO. Not one band comes close that album. I'm not a fan of pop punk anymore but I'll sometimes have a full listen to Enema and Dude Ranch. It disgusts me how All Time Low, Fall Out Boy and other similar bands are called pop punk. They sound nothing like Dookie, Enema/Dude Ranch, Fat Lip, Americana and some other early 2000s bands like Good Charlotte, New Found Glory, Yellowcard, Bowling for Soup and all.

I get all these bands had a distinctive sound but they always felt like they belonged together. I never felt like that with All Time Low etc.