California discussion

boxelder

8 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Seems a bit premature to melt down. They haven't even announced it as a single, released the video, or started playing it live yet.

don't think anyones having a meltdown, more confused as to whether this single is actually officially out, and if so whether they'll do any promotion for it. 

• Like 1

Like this band acknowledges the release of airplay singles...

These days, unless it's a lead single or a promo single preparing the way for an album and becoming available on digital stores there is no such thing as a "release date". Plus, the video coming out is meaningless for radio airplay unless it becomes viral or unless we are talking about the most successful artists of the moment...

It is flopping so far or maybe in the end it will just be a slow start, only time will tell. Anyway, I'm definitely not melting down since (like most people here) I can handle my favorite band being criticized or simply discussed (which is the case) without melting down and saying things shouldn't be scrutinized.

• Like 2

Just now, fran.182 said:

Like this band acknowledges the release of airplay singles...

These days, unless it's a lead single or a promo single preparing the way for an album and becoming available on digital stores there is no such thing as a "release date". Plus, the video coming out is meaningless for radio airplay unless it becomes viral or unless we are talking about the most successful artists of the moment...

It is flopping so far or maybe in the end it will just be a slow start, only time will tell. Anyway, I'm definitely not melting down since (like most people here) I can handle my favorite band being criticized or simply discussed (which is the case) without melting down and saying things shouldn't be scrutinized.

Yea this isn't any different from she's out of her mind. The single doesn't get "announced." It's just out there on the radio. They'll announce the music video when that's ready, but there's nothing else to announce. The songs just out there now doing its thing.

16 minutes ago, Smalls said:

Still flabbergasted that they picked HISALP over sober, seems really stupid to me. Why write a fun energetic song obviously built to be a hit, and not use it.

Hopefully because it will be the final single.

If they don't use Sober as a single it's a huge mistake imo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

Hopefully because it will be the final single.

If they don't use Sober as a single it's a huge mistake imo.

Even as someone who doesn't like Sober, I totally agree they have to go for it. The whole point of the song seems to be an attempt for a big radio hit can't shy away from it now.

17 hours ago, MattSkibbasuxatguitar said:

I would appreciate a flop honestly, because that's the only thing that wakes Mark up and right now they're surrounded solely by 'yes mans'. Including their fans. 

it wouldn't, though. the album got a number one and a grammy nod, HISALP could literally never chart whatsoever and he'd be totally fine with it. 

10 hours ago, Kay said:

it wouldn't, though. the album got a number one and a grammy nod, HISALP could literally never chart whatsoever and he'd be totally fine with it. 

Not so sure. Mark's ego seems so fragile, his confidence not good, that any little thing gets him down. Got nominated for a grammy, then lost and didn't bother to even stay for the whole thing.

Parking Lot gets shit and next thing you know him and Failedman got a sad case of the butt on twitter

Theres a lot of radio play during the day in my work and I haven't heard any of California's singles. I don't know if its just nowhere near as popular in the UK or what, but I haven't heard it anywhere. 

On 4/24/2017 at 10:46 AM, Smalls said:

Still flabbergasted that they picked HISALP over sober, seems really stupid to me. Why write a fun energetic song obviously built to be a hit, and not use it.

The funny thing is that back before soohm was released, Travis stated in an interview that the band were reconsidering putting it out as the second single and thinking of choosing Sober instead. Obviously things, for whatever reason, didn't pan out that way. That in itself was a misstep. Sober should've been released immediately after btd. Say what you want about the cheesiness (I agree), but it's catchy as fuck and great live. All of my friends who even just casually liked blink during the 99-04 heyday love that song the most of all that California has to offer. Such a missed opportunity. I suppose it's still possible they'll release it as single, but with the deluxe coming up next, I don't know. Maybe as a Summer single? Possibly. But I think it's unlikely.