Blink at X Games

boxelder

I would say you guys are still dominating the skibabots as far as who sucks worse.

Using ONE verse from an entire concert where Mark strained to hit notes as a total condemnation of their show. IDIOTS. lol

Personally the ones saying they sound like gods now I dont understand you, in the proshot they still sound like shit. Matt has his moments and sounds good but in a few songs, call me crazy, I miss Tom. He sounded worse but he added cool things in I miss you and others. I said this a few months ago, I take this as a new band, a new variant of blink. But no it won´t top 2003-2004 blink for me. But to be fair Matt is a good addition. Mark sound as good as always but now we don´t have tom´s horrible nights to cover him. They need to do something with Bored to death...horrible live song.

• Like 1

Just now, Since88 said:

I thought you meant the 2013 untitled tour.. Asshole.

Can't take someone give a little criticism to the mighty blink huh!?

Did you have nightmares last night about Skiba singing your savior's songs?

• Like 4

I have to give Tom some credit, as his voice and personality opened the gateway for me to get into Pop-Punk in general, I can understand how people have rose tinted visions of the '03 version of him, but it's obvious that he's never coming back. Just let the guy do what he's comfortable doing, and give Mark, Matt and Travis some credit for resurrecting a band that you love.

• Like 3

They need to ditch the click and backing instruments, Bored To Death reminds me of UAN, it just doesn't sound good live. Change the tuning, speed it up a little, have backing vocals on the verses to thicken it up, especially the first verse.

They sound much better with Skiba, better guitar tone, someone who sings in key, but I never left a concert I saw with Tom thinking he sucked live, I always enjoyed it. I haven't seen blink with Skiba live yet, but even watching videos of blink with Skiba doesn't give me the same enjoyment I had watching videos with Tom, even when he sounded absolutely abysmal at shows like Reading. There was always something about how goofy and how much he sucked I kinda enjoyed, which must sound stupid. I don't get the same enjoyment watching blink now with Skiba, it feels like something is missing, even though they obviously sound a lot better.

Still, really enjoying blink and looking forward to the acoustic shows they're doing.

I like Matt Skiba and I love Alkaline Trio.. and I like bored to death. But.. he just doesn't sound that good singing Tom songs. I agree, Tom was singing like shit in his last years in Blink, but Skiba - He's in tune, sure, and better than how Tom was singing it in the last few years, but that doesn't mean it fits that well, or has the same kind of feel. I mean, it seems like a pretty weak criteria to love his singing just because 1. He's singing better than new Tom, and 2. He is singing with effort. I mean, if Justin Beiber went up there and sang with effort, completely on tune, all of Tom's songs, doesn't mean anybody should like it.

It's just weird to me. But.. if the choice is this versus no blink-182 at all.. then, maybe it's worth it, I don't know..

• Like 3

Maybe they should have had try outs for Tom Delonge impersonators..then you guys could have just imagined it was the savior up there instead of having to accept a new band member up there doing his own thing.

13 minutes ago, supervic said:

I like Matt Skiba and I love Alkaline Trio.. and I like bored to death. But.. he just doesn't sound that good singing Tom songs. I agree, Tom was singing like shit in his last years in Blink, but Skiba - He's in tune, sure, and better than how Tom was singing it in the last few years, but that doesn't mean it fits that well, or has the same kind of feel. I mean, it seems like a pretty weak criteria to love his singing just because 1. He's singing better than new Tom, and 2. He is singing with effort. I mean, if Justin Beiber went up there and sang with effort, completely on tune, all of Tom's songs, doesn't mean anybody should like it.

It's just weird to me. But.. if the choice is this versus no blink-182 at all.. then, maybe it's worth it, I don't know..

I think it's more that Matt seems to actually give a shit and be into the music. That's at least why I think people are enamored. Can you blame them? I don't feel he's the best fit either but any port in a storm, I suppose. I would have expected someone with a little more treble in their voice but Skiba is a good musician and songwriter and seems like a good guy. I'm glad he's filled the spot and I look at it objectively. The real test is the album; I said before, for me, that's what will make or break the new line up. I have faith in Skiba in writing good songs, its just a matter of if those songs will relay a Blink vibe or not. I have no reason to believe they won't and look forward to the release. 

I don't mind them playing 'Tom' songs, I expect that just like I expect them to stick to the greatest hits. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, supervic said:

This is how I feel. It's not about wanting Tom back, or even wanting a "Tom impersonator" at all. Skiba is the right guy for the job. He sings way better than Tom. He fits in with the band way better than Tom. There's no debate about that. I just don't need to hear them playing any "Tom Only" songs anymore now that Tom's not in the band.

I obviously understand them playing songs with back and forth vocals, and having Skiba sing Tom's parts in those songs. But is there REALLY any need to hear someone else (even a good singer) sing songs that were all Tom's vocals? Like I've said before, best case scenario is it ends up sounding like a really good cover. 

It's not a matter of wanting Tom back, or preserving his legacy, or anything like that. Sort of the opposite actually. Leave him in the dust. They have SO many other songs to choose from, and more importantly SO many brand new songs they will hopefully be playing. That's what I want to hear. There's just no reason to play "Tom Only" songs with a different singer.

• Like 1

Just now, Clarke said:

You're going to have a lot of pissed off people if they retire All The Small Things and First Date. 

That could be true, but at the X-Games for example they still would've heard:

Feeling This
What's My Age Again
The Rock Show
I Miss You
Stay Together For The Kids
Dammit

That's a TON of hits right there. I bet more people than you think would be understanding about not hearing those other 2

IF they were doing festivals, dropping two of their biggest singles (one being the biggest by miles) is a giant mis-step. however, if it's their own headlining tour I think they can do whatever the frilly heck they want, ideally.