Blink-182 Vinyl Thread

WPGBlink

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Question: can someone explain what the 'deluxe' vinyl releases are?

Are they remastered audio? Addition booklet artwork or same as original releases? Are all deluxe on 180g vinyl? This thread Indictates that srcvinyl quality is better than universal quality. So I was looking at srcvinyl and see a lot of the deluxe are sold out. Were all deluxe done as limited numbers Only, and thus not likely to find new in any stores nowadays?

Some deluxes are listed as not avail yet, like Cheshire and TOYPAJ. Is there any update as to when to expect these? For deluxes that sold out, like Enema and Untitled, they are now offered on colored vinyl (red, pink) -does this mean they are NOT the deluxe and thus not remastered audio? Also doesn't say they are 180g like the deluxe is....

I'm new to looking into blink vinyl, and I intend on getting one copy of each album  and trying to decide the best option/choice. Any advise or info is appreshed

10 hours ago, Marik said:

Question: can someone explain what the 'deluxe' vinyl releases are?

Are they remastered audio? Addition booklet artwork or same as original releases? Are all deluxe on 180g vinyl? This thread Indictates that srcvinyl quality is better than universal quality. So I was looking at srcvinyl and see a lot of the deluxe are sold out. Were all deluxe done as limited numbers Only, and thus not likely to find new in any stores nowadays?

Some deluxes are listed as not avail yet, like Cheshire and TOYPAJ. Is there any update as to when to expect these? For deluxes that sold out, like Enema and Untitled, they are now offered on colored vinyl (red, pink) -does this mean they are NOT the deluxe and thus not remastered audio? Also doesn't say they are 180g like the deluxe is....

I'm new to looking into blink vinyl, and I intend on getting one copy of each album  and trying to decide the best option/choice. Any advise or info is appreshed

src's doing big runs of each album that aren't deluxe versions -- for example, the blue EOTS, red dude ranch, and more. those are just as good as the deluxe, trust me. they're made from the same plates, so sound quality is largely the same (depending on if you believe 180 gram is truly worthwhile). the only thing they lack is the rarity of being "deluxe" and limited, and i think maybe the sleeves are made a little cheaper. for albums like dude ranch, i think there's three postcards. for untitled, it's got that nice booklet. you're not really missing out, and the colored vinyl editions are pretty cool. as for being able to find them in stores, its true you likely won't find the deluxe... there's been a $40 untitled deluxe sitting in the bin at my local CD warehouse for months now, but that's it. for the regular ones, you can find em everywhere. i've seen em at barnes and noble, books a million, regular record stores, etc.

in terms of sound quality, they are remastered specifically for vinyl, which is something you cannot say about a lot of blink pressings between 2009-14 (i.e., a lot of mightier than sword varieties and hot topic exclusives). those are fun to have, but i'd say it's the label slapping on the CD master of the album to make a quick buck. i'd be inclined to believe the 2016 reissues from universal are the same. SRC came in after the TOYPAJ debacle and saved the day, and i remember thinking the album sounded better than ever when i received my 2014 copy with the three bonus 7"s. i'm not sure if it too was remastered and cut by kevin gray -- renowed mastering engineer -- or not, but all of the NEW SRC editions were, which is important. they were also pressed at RTI, and while they're not, idk, pallas or something, they've got better quality control they say versus a united record pressing. and in terms of when to expect CC/TOYPAJ/neighborhoods, your guess is as good as mine. someone said SRC was planning to release them all later this year but it has been a while...

anyway, i've rambled. i think the SRC releases -- deluxe or no deluxe  -- are the definitive blink pressings on this format and you cannot go wrong. i believe they're fans of the band, which is why they slapped on not now on untitled and IWBHFC on greatest hits. so grab deluxe's if you want, but the regular SRC pressings are just fine. for +44/BCR, just wait... i'm hoping SRC will get to those at some point and the existing pressings aren't wonderful.

Thanks for the in-depth answer!

That opens up a new can of questions for me to pick ur brain.

1) so SRC has sold deluxes and now non-deluxe. Both using the same remastered audio, so the main difference is just the color of vinyl, and whether its a limited number or not. Were either/neither/both of the Deluxe and non-deluxe officially done with blinks authorization? By that I mean, did the band ever acknowledge them? Tweet out 'hey guys, check out our new deluxe reissues now avail over on SRC website!" Or are these done kinda behind the bands back? Why wouldn't they be made avail by the band's actual website merch store? (As I see California is). Does it have to do with the label change and ownership rights? How would SRC possibly be authorized to add tracks (Not Not) and alter the cover art (back tracklisting) without the band's consent??

2) in local stores I have spotted Enema/DR/Cheshire all with a 180g sticker. No other mention of deluxe or not. Date on them is 2016. Would these be the Deluxe that SRC had? Or were the deluxes EXCLUSIVE to SRC only? My understanding that SRC's non-deluxe currently avail on colored vinyl are NOT 180g (am I wrong?) And thus these 180g I spotted cannot be those non-deluxe colored. Is there a way to tell if they are the sub-par Universal vinyls (were universal's180g and also issued with 2016 Date?). Or were Hot Topics done in 180g?

3) what was the TOYPAJ debacle you referenced with SRC taking over vinyl production?

4) speaking of Boxcar, on SRC it is not referred to as deluxe, nor 180g. (Hense you mentioning sub-par quality). It's labelled as 15yr anniversary edition. Would it be the exact same as the 15yr anni edition that Tom was selling from To The stars? Or was Tom's different/better stock (different audio quality, 180g?, diff color vinyl)

5) I'm in Canada, and frankly I am amazed, at SRC's decent shipping rates. I'm wondering from anyone that's ordered from them before, were you hit up for more $$$ at delivery for customs/duty fees?

1) SRC has only released the universal-owned albums and i’m unsure of whether or not the band has a say. i suppose they could? they had a contract that specified strict creative control so i assume they were aware of it. mark even did the foreword for the 2013 TOYPAJ i imagine as a sorry for fans waiting (i’ll get to that in a minute). the only thing i can figure is that not now/IWBHFC were bonus tracks internationally when they were released on CD on those respective albums (untitled/greatest hits), so that’s perhaps why they were included. 

2) any SRC pressing that’s not deluxe (i believe) contains a sticker saying SRC HI-FI. the deluxes say that and are hand-numbered. the ones you’re referring to that say 180 gram are indeed the 2016 universal pressings. i haven’t heard them, they could be fine pressings, but i’d assume they sound the same as the hot topic varieties that came before them. 180 gram is sort of a marketing thing at this point, it often has no reflection on sound quality. in fact, there are folks who believe 180 gram is detrimental to the LP itself...shallower grooves or something. hot topic pressings were most certainly not 180 gram

3) there was a guy by the name of RJ who ran mightier than sword records, one of the first labels to re-release blink’s output on wax (geffen quickly got the hint, i guess, that there was interest and rushed out exclusives to hot topic concurrently). in july 2011 he put up a pre-order for the wildly cool edition of TOYPAJ with each bonus tracks on 7” singles. i guess the company ran out of money or the dude just took the money and ran. he disappeared. mark publicly stated he was unhappy with the situation in an interview with alternative press i think. SRC took it over and two years later finally delivered on the promise with that beautiful edition of TOYPAJ

4) i’m not sure about the new box car vinyl, it may or may not be 180 gram. it’s likely sourced from the same plates with which they created the 2010 pressing 

5) i have no idea! i haven’t ordered from them in a while.

the jackets on the deluxe versions have a matte finish, don't they? the non-deluxe SRC ones i've seen in stores have hideous super glossy jackets. the jackets and the prices have prevented me from buying them.

SRC needs to repress the entire discography on standard weight black vinyl in large quantities with matte jackets. they don't even need to be gatefold. that's the only way i'll buy them. i really just want enema through self titled because the copies i have from the early 2010s sound pretty bad. i have original pressings of the rest of them.

hmm. i can't imagine CC or dude ranch sounding any better than the original pressings. the SRC ones are definitely newly mastered for vinyl but i think they are still working from digital sources; whereas, the original pressings worked from analog sources. obviously that doesn't mean they can't sound great but i take comfort in knowing exactly where the music was sourced from on those cargo releases. 

In local stores, ive also seen some copies, Enema if I recall, where the vinyl jacket looks dull. Like the colors are all dull. Almost as if it was sun-bleached or something. Does this ring a bell at all with anyone knowing what version of release this would be? I believe I spotted MTATS with dulled colors as well.

i still need both the original CC and DR, but i've yet to pull the trigger cause of $$$. i got so tired of waiting for the SRC CC i just bought the blue variant they're selling, since i owned no CC at all. sounds great. i can also vouch for dude ranch sounding phenomenal 

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

still waiting on a deluxe SRC version of CC. i spin the deluxe SRC dude ranch all the time... it sounds better than the original 1997 mastering, imo.

Have they said anything about pressing CC and TOYPAJ? Seems like after the huge wait for greatest hits deluxe to finally ship they haven’t said a word

2 minutes ago, Marik said:

In local stores, ive also seen some copies, Enema if I recall, where the vinyl jacket looks dull. Like the colors are all dull. Almost as if it was sun-bleached or something. Does this ring a bell at all with anyone knowing what version of release this would be? I believe I spotted MTATS with dulled colors as well.

hmmmm i'm not sure about this. the old hot topic versions look a little dull and i know some (TMT&TS) have visible pixelation on the cover (just blowing up a digital file). but both SRC variants look great. again, nothing to compare to with the newer universal pressings, but they don't look too bad when i see em at record stores

1 minute ago, Russel Coight said:

Have they said anything about pressing CC and TOYPAJ? Seems like after the huge wait for greatest hits deluxe to finally ship they haven’t said a word

pretty much radio silence. sometimes i wonder if it just takes a while to get presses back from RTI, due to pressing plant delays (perhaps the original batch of EOTS/DR/TMT&TS/untitled were in the works long before they were announced?). either way, someone on the blink collectors facebook group emailed their support and they said they were planning on putting preorders up before the end of this year

3 minutes ago, boxelder said:

pretty much radio silence. sometimes i wonder if it just takes a while to get presses back from RTI, due to pressing plant delays (perhaps the original batch of EOTS/DR/TMT&TS/untitled were in the works long before they were announced?). either way, someone on the blink collectors facebook group emailed their support and they said they were planning on putting preorders up before the end of this year

End of the year is better than nothing. I’d love to have their whole discography in this deluxe versions, the others all sound great.

Thanks all for the input.

Before i spend $$$$$ on a SRC order, could someone post a pic of the album jacket cover of SRC-bought NON-deluxe (preferably Enema if poss). I just want to make sure the color quality is what im expecting before i place big order

looking at the two EOTS's from SRC, there's virtually no difference between the deluxe and standard, aside from the matte finish on the former. here's two photos, the first is the standard SRC non-deluxe, and the second is both side by side (L: deluxe, R: non-deluxe)

fEGhtNO.jpgv

uLm9MSm.jpg

in short @Marik: go for the SRC's, whatever's available. you'll never be let down. deluxe's if you wanna shell out a liiiittle more (depending on what the current discogs/ebay prices are), and the standard color editions that, IMO, don't sound too different, and are great