The Pursuit Of Tone: Tom Doc

Lauren

I thought this could be a worthy topic as most of us are excited to see it. 

It was premiered yesterday and hopefully we'll get news soon. 

Personally im really excited and i hope it will go deep into history and how he created his sound

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MSandt said:

I'm sure it'll be an exercise in historical revisionism.

I am interested in seeing it, but judging by the preview it is indeed historic revisionism. The biggest issue is Tom sees Blink as a joke band that he alone created and now he is doing far more important things. It was a steeping stone. Tom no longer has the ability to speak of Blink as anything other than that.

• Like 3

A lot of people who create amazing things don't know how they did it. I assume as much about Tom because he seems baffled by blink's success. I understand that POV because blink to me is really a miracle of a band.

1 minute ago, Clarke said:

I agree that Tom is baffled by blink's success.

I think he has a very different view of things in this sense. Regarding blink, he saw the band as "dick jokes that led to private jets". It's no surprise that he thought AvA would be more successful, because in Tom's head, he actually was putting effort into this one.

I think that's exactly how he saw things. I think he did try very, very hard in blink, and it seemed to pay off more and more as he tried. Like spending that year writing Untitled with Mark and Travis lead to some of their best work, so why wouldn't AVA be just as good? Unfortunately Tom has limitations and with anybody blind spots that he can't see. WDNTW is at least an artistic statement. I don't think it works well or holds up particularly well, but it certainly showed effort.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, helen_hoppus said:

don't want to see that at this moment, but if i read here a lot of favorable reviews, i will watch it. probably. 

Same. Not gonna watch if it's just revisionist Tom propaganda full of backhanded remarks about blink.

Don't give a shit about his guitar tone, if it ends up being about that. It has sounded like garbage for a decade. Credibility lost in that department.

• Like 2

What did Tom do with early AVA that any other joe blow band member doesn't do? Plus, he had massive amounts of blink cash to play with.

Don't confuse ego with work ethic. Anyone can run around saying how great something is...Donald Trump, Oliver, etc...doesn't mean it has any substance whatsoever.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Same. Not gonna watch if it's just revisionist Tom propaganda full of backhanded remarks about blink.

Don't give a shit about his guitar tone, if it ends up being about that. It has sounded like garbage for a decade. Credibility lost in that department.

i really hope he will not say his own bull about blink, their past or future together, just not to embarrass himself. 

46 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

I am interested in seeing it, but judging by the preview it is indeed historic revisionism. The biggest issue is Tom sees Blink as a joke band that he alone created and now he is doing far more important things. It was a steeping stone. Tom no longer has the ability to speak of Blink as anything other than that.

This is what Tom thinks of Blink. He's an absolute cunt

“I do not want to be in a bullshit pop band with some bullshit pop songs while you drive your fucking bullshit car and sing along to it like you’re some 14 year-old girl.”

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Scott. said:

This is what Tom thinks of Blink. He's an absolute cunt

“I do not want to be in a bullshit pop band with some bullshit pop songs while you drive your fucking bullshit car and sing along to it like you’re some 14 year-old girl.”

yeah, fuck all those bullshit pop songs I wrote that made me millions!!!!

It is not true that Tom always saw Blink as a "joke band". There was a time where he said they have joke songs and have fun, but the band is very serious.

As far as success, at first they definitely didn't get why it was happening, but then, and it's human nature, they believed their own hype, Tom and Travis definitely did.

• Like 1