New Feldmann Topic

Ghent

1 minute ago, Nosferatu said:

It's showing on this new album they're recording too. Skiba is barely there, whilst Mark and Feldman are there working together. All the evidence is pointing out that all he does is turn up to record guitar parts and told which parts to play.

I wonder if he even recorded the guitars, it's been assumed for years that Tom didn't record guitars on multiple Neighborhoods songs so it's not like it's a sacred duty anymore. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Feldmann recorded some or all of them while they were piecing the songs together.

• Like 2

Just now, Champ182 said:

I wonder if he even recorded the guitars, it's been assumed for years that Tom didn't record guitars on multiple Neighborhoods songs so it's not like it's a sacred duty anymore. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Feldmann recorded some or all of them while they were piecing the songs together.

I think he definitely recorded guitars for the majority of the songs. It's just power chords, which is no different from Alkaline Trio really. It'd be very odd if he didn't record any guitars I think haha. I just don't think he had any control over the guitar parts, riffs or whatever. But I also know Mark probably recorded some guitars too. The octave chords in Teenage Satellites are Mark. There was an interview of how they started that song when Mark was just messing about by just strumming octave chords. Like it was confirmed that Mark and Feldman were alone in the studio and started off with the octave chords and eventually Travis came in and helped build more of the song.

I know HISALP isn't Skiba playing either. They used that Evanescence guitarist. I think he's from that band if I remember correctly. Wouldn't be surprised if Last Train Home isn't Skiba playing the lead guitar either, considering how much he struggles playing the lead parts of most blink songs in the live sets.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thongrider said:

If Mark quit and you would get Feldman or someone else on bass and vocals would you still consider it Blink and enjoy it? 

I guess I just don't get this type of thinking. 

This is what I'm talking about.... I really hope Feldmann kicks Mark out of the band and takes on the role of the front man. Thats the REAL blink that everyone apparently wants!

I think 1/4 song writer is a bit of an understatement. Especially after seeing videos people posted of re-using the same riffs and melodies in other work that feldmann has "produced and co-written". Despite your feelings of WDNTW, at least that was Tom. He wrote it. He recorded it. He produced it. And for me, WDNTW isn't as stale as California already is.

8 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

You are still dodging. Why don't you, as a Blink fan, want to hear what fucking Blink 182 can write, alone, without a writer for hire?

Why do you want fake shit?

Because left to their own devices we get Neighborhoods.

• Wow 1

6 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

You are still dodging. Why don't you, as a Blink fan, want to hear what fucking Blink 182 can write, alone, without a writer for hire?

Why do you want fake shit?

Their main song writer left the band. I can see why they'd want some outside help writing. Especially when the objective is to reestablish blink's sound. homerun decision. A weird +44/Alkaline Trio mash up album would have killed blink

7 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Their main song writer left the band. I can see why they'd want some outside help writing. Especially when the objective is to reestablish blink's sound. homerun decision. A weird +44/Alkaline Trio mash up album would have killed blink

Skiba is the person they hired to re-establish blink with outside help, and to take the place of Tom's songwriting. Do you think that was a mistake since they decided not to use him for those things after all? Not trolling or anything I just think this is an interesting topic.

Since Feldmann has basically taken over much of the role that Tom's actual replacement was supposed to have, they almost share that 3rd member of the band spot. Obviously you like the Feldy influence more than you would've liked Skiba's, do you wish they would've just hired Feldmann or someone else instead of Skiba in the first place?

The only other massive Blink fan I know in real life told me the other day that California is his 2nd favorite Blink album of all time. He plays no instruments and could care less who produced what. I think we overestimate how many people care enough to know the credits of each song. Most people just hear the song and like whether it's catchy or fun. Even bands I consider some of my favorites, Nirvana/Muse/Tool/RATM,etc. I've never read the song credits now that I think about it...

I think Feldy uses Blink for selfish reasons, but my only real complaints are lack of guitar riffs (which doesn't surprise me as it's not Matt's style) and the obvious overuse of whoas/nas. I think the "Matt had no input crowd" forgets that he said he first approached this as basically a ghost writing session until he felt more comfortable. So he probably had a ton of input, it just wasn't what you would expect as an Alkaline Trio fan. Him and Feldy were both trying their best to achieve what they think of as "Blink-182" which is fun catchy summer pop-punk, at a pivotal moment in the band's career. California is catchy as hell, my wife knows every word to every song and never even downloaded the album.

Feldmann obviously had some input, but there's no way he was writing Trav's drums, Mark's bass, Matt's guitar, and all the lyrics. There's still a reason why I like Blink's new stuff and don't even like 1 song from these other pop-punk bands he produces. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

The only other massive Blink fan I know in real life told me the other day that California is his 2nd favorite Blink album of all time. He plays no instruments and could care less who produced what. I think we overestimate how many people care enough to know the credits of each song. Most people just hear the song and like whether it's catchy or fun. Even bands I consider some of my favorites, Nirvana/Muse/Tool/RATM,etc. I've never read the song credits now that I think about it...

You could be totally right. I don't know anyone in real life who likes California, but most of my friends who still like Blink are in bands or in the music scene so I think most of them come to it from a similar spot as me, being interested in the writing/production side of things. However, my wife is a huge Blink fan who doesn't care about the behind the scenes stuff as much, and she hates Cali even more than I do haha.

• Haha 1