The Menzingers - new album

Broken English

On 14/04/2017 at 4:41 AM, Clarkerpes said:

I haven't watched a music video that captured a song so well

Honestly, it's incredibly rare for me to feel any strong emotions when watching music videos now. This one gave me shivers. It really nails the tone of the song and the lyrics so incredibly well, I'm pretty blown away by it. 

I absolutely fucking love that video, though it's a lot darker than I'd have thought. After The Party isn't a particularly dark song. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Roping @Ghent and @Kyle into this thread because I know both you guys have been here for a while and have good taste. I think you might enjoy a band with a punk past and have evolved their sound similar to Blink. Fuck me if the 0:41 - 0:58 riff doesn't sound like a Tom TOYPAJ riff.  

Really amazing band, though. The lyrics are really their strong point. This song is a good example,

On 11/25/2017 at 4:13 AM, Broken English said:

They do nostalgia like no other band I can think of. They’re fast becoming my favourite band. 

Same here man. I can't think of a better modern punk band that has better lyrics and melodies. Going through their discography and playing the shit out of their albums has been a blast. 

For me, their best albums go: On the Impossible Past > Rented World > After the Party > Chamberlain Waits. Love all of their stuff though. 

On 12/2/2017 at 7:37 PM, Speedo said:

I love everything from impossible past and on ... Their earlier stuff has a handful of great songs but that's it. I don't care for 99% of it.

I agree. Chamberlain Waits has grown on me quite a bit but it's definitely much more rough around the edges and not as enjoyable or consistent as their newer stuff. 

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2018 at 6:47 PM, Broken English said:

New track ain’t bad at all. 

And it’s a Tom song, which they haven’t had many of recently. 

My only complaint is they are developing a style that they are getting stuck in and comfortable with, the newer songs are all starting to sound very similar to each other.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 5:18 AM, Methodist Coloring Book said:

My only complaint is they are developing a style that they are getting stuck in and comfortable with, the newer songs are all starting to sound very similar to each other.

I don’t know, all of their albums have been pretty different from each other. I guess we will see with their next full length album. 

I would imagine that these few (toy soldier and the freaks) were written around the After the Party time as well, so it makes sense they sound similar. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2018 at 11:42 PM, vic vinegar said:

Loving this band. They're great. Very new to them outside the occasional radio song but I can't wait to listen to their entire discography. Gonna do an album a night here at work so they don't all mesh together.

I’d start with On the Impossible Past, it stands out as their strongest album IMO. Then go either After the Party or Rented World (ATP is more produced, both are great though) and then Chamberlain Waits when you get bored of those albums. 

• Like 1