'Once Upon A Time In Hollywood' - Quentin Tarantino

Jan Backing Track

With all the Django love on here I rewatched it last night..

Gotta say, it may have been even better than I remembered (aside the first ride, that's always euphoric ).

Truly engaging. I think I have to keep this a lock for in the top 3. It's just so epic and the production/sets are so great. So much going on to process at once, such a great blend of genre & themes. I love how they make you think the story is simply how Schulz frees Django to find Brittle brothers..then it goes off into something 10x more tense even, after thoroughly enjoying the Brittle brothers piece.

The performances are so fucking great from Walz, DiCaprio, Jackson, even (forget his name) who plays big daddy. Walz vs DiCaprio is truly engaging and top notch cinema..the way they push their egos out there is so great. Pretty much everyone is great except the one flaw to me..while I'll say this is almost flawless of an epic, Jamie Fox really just didn't do it for me at all times. I don't have a problem with the extended ending so many have, it is more because of Fox that it wasn't that great.  He just didn't carry such a heavy topic and demand in acting that well once Walz character was gone. Just made it cheesy to me. Hate to say it but Kerry Washington too. They were good, but not great when up next to the rest.

All in all though, such a instant must-own film.  Who makes such a film? Seriously? So crazy and great all at once.

Side note: tried watching H8 again and could not get through it..just cannot get into that film no matter what..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

kill bill 2 is the only one I like enough to watch again.

i definitely wouldn't consider his dialogue to be "every day life" conversation though. and comparing his films to movies that tom cruise stars in is completely pointless. tom cruise doesn't write the movies that he's in and everyone knows he typically does blockbuster action movies. not even close to the same thing as a Tarantino film.

How's the storyline pointless? That's the whole part of the genius of his movies imo. They don't follow the norm. The movie is a heist crime film, but you don't even see the heist take place, so really it's about the characters and who is the rat.  Then we see how it plays out in a perfect flashback.

Everyone dies sure, but it becomes about the lies and betrayal at the end there which is the point of the movie.

His dialogue isn't normal things you hear today, but it's natural to the characters.

Watching just about any of his films, and the dialogue is simply interesting, unique, funny, and natural to the characters what they would say.  I wouldn't say the last three films were dialogue expert like his old, but don't think they were going for that. Basterds in 3 different languages had to be tough to write. 

16 hours ago, Kevin. said:

he probably wrote it all in English and then had people translate it...

He's very precise about his wording. No shit he didn't write in German, but he mixed and matched and often would have them find a reason to use English which wasn't distracting.

Honestly I never thought I'd be as entertained by a movie largely in subtitles.

It's pretty crazy to go and do that and find actual German actors

1 hour ago, Nshesaid said:

He's very precise about his wording. No shit he didn't write in German, but he mixed and matched and often would have them find a reason to use English which wasn't distracting.

Honestly I never thought I'd be as entertained by a movie largely in subtitles.

It's pretty crazy to go and do that and find actual German actors

first he had more than one language in his film, then he found ACTUAL German actors? wow. groundbreaking. I heard they don't even make films anywhere else other than America. must have been fucking impossible to find those actors. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kevin. said:

first he had more than one language in his film, then he found ACTUAL German actors? wow. groundbreaking. I heard they don't even make films anywhere else other than America. must have been fucking impossible to find those actors. 

Lol for a mainstream director, who only makes one movie about every three years, to use an all international cast outside of the Basterds is pretty groundbreaking actually.. Or respectable/new at the least. Outside Brad Pitt he didn't use any big stars that a director in his shoes surely would. The German/French stars he did use was awesome, because he has no reason to other than his own film art agenda.

Why don't you just watch the cast talk about it. They appreciate what he did.

Don't know why I'm even having to explain this. Using an international cast was really cool.

Don't be petty.

2 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I love both dudes. I think Boyle is a mixed bag but always interesting.

I don't have a problem with Tarantino, but he's just a walking homage filmmaker with the exception of his bizarre dialogue. he hasn't necessarily help change the state of filmmaking. if anything, he's a very conservative filmmaker. 

I agree with that.  It's comforting in a way but compare him to Boyle or Ang Lee maybe, they kind of challenge themselves in different ways and have greater diversity to their libraries. I like not knowing what I'm going to get sometimes. But then there are people like Tarantino or Wes Anderson where I feel like I know what I'm going to get. Their perspective and themes are usually the same, and follow similar motifs and even actors. They usually do a good job of keeping it interesting though. Hell, if Tarantino continues to make films with Jackson, I'll probably see every one of them opening week. Hearing him yell and kill people is vastly entertaining to me.

What makes me really appreciate Tarantino is how many knock-offs of him came out in the 90s (derivatives of derivatives heh?) and just flopped on their faces. At the very least he's competent.

• Like 1