'Once Upon A Time In Hollywood' - Quentin Tarantino

Jan Backing Track

I think the homages thing is cool. It's different to see in a movie than everything else out there.

So Danny Boyle used an international cast and you praise that, but Tarantino does it and it's just excuses as to why it's overrated or you discredit it.

I'll keep watching Tarantino using Jackson as well, but preferred in different ways, like Django. In Django I was floored by how outstanding Jackson was. H8 however felt like just Sam Jackson himself, not the character. 

50 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

I think the homages thing is cool. It's different to see in a movie than everything else out there.

So Danny Boyle used an international cast and you praise that, but Tarantino does it and it's just excuses as to why it's overrated or you discredit it.

I'll keep watching Tarantino using Jackson as well, but preferred in different ways, like Django. In Django I was floored by how outstanding Jackson was. H8 however felt like just Sam Jackson himself, not the character. 

it is overrated and danny boyle is a good filmmaker. i'm not praising him for using an international cast or have multi-language screenplays because that doesn't make any difference whatsoever nor does it the reason his films are considered impressive. you asked for an example expecting nobody to give you an answer and you were wrong. and now you're trying to say an homage is "different," which doesn't make sense when the whole idea of an homage is to pay tribute to material/techniques that have already been done before.

When Django came out there was a bit of controversy about Tarantino being disrespectful towards the slave history (Spike Lee was quite vocal about it).

At the time I didn't really care, but I re-watched Django the other day and I think I changed my mind.

Maybe it's not a good idea to have an R&B song playing while somebody is getting whipped?

2 hours ago, Kevin. said:

it is overrated and danny boyle is a good filmmaker. i'm not praising him for using an international cast or have multi-language screenplays because that doesn't make any difference whatsoever nor does it the reason his films are considered impressive. you asked for an example expecting nobody to give you an answer and you were wrong. and now you're trying to say an homage is "different," which doesn't make sense when the whole idea of an homage is to pay tribute to material/techniques that have already been done before.

Homage was separate topic. I said I personally like that he does a ton of homages. He doesn't hide it whatsoever. He's definitely one of the only directors who uses them constantly. Like when I see a movie with similar themes to The Thing (the one Tarantino movie I didn't like however) and then an Ennio Morricone score comes on, from The Thing, it makes you smirk if you catch I like that sort of thing. Adds another layer to the experience.

I said different, as in from the usual movie going experience. It seems like you're reaching to discredit everything.

I didn't say the international cast is WHY Basterds is impressive, but it definitely is another cool aspect that brings a more unique movie than anything else out there and the European actors used loved the exposure and respect given to their cinema that doesn't get Hollywood treatment, from a Hollywood big time director, who only makes so many movies.

Done arguing this, it's not an argument, it's personal taste and opinion.

14 hours ago, theedge00 said:

Maybe it's not a good idea to have an R&B song playing while somebody is getting whipped?

I think it's mildly genius. Strange modern juxtaposition, but it doesn't take away from how horrible beating somebody is. At least in my mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

I think it's mildly genius. Strange modern juxtaposition, but it doesn't take away from how horrible beating somebody is. At least in my mind.

The movie definitely had shifts in tone too. The actual slavery parts were never taken lightly.. Only parts involving the immensely racist rednecks towards Django were, because Django was on a gunslinging revenge anyway and could handle it. 

Don't think there was ever an r&b song during whippings anyway.. The flashbacks of whippings had sad music from what I recall. There was rap during the walk to candyland and that epic shootout

4 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

It's a really old trick though.

1 hour ago, Nshesaid said:

The movie definitely had shifts in tone too. The actual slavery parts were never taken lightly.. Only parts involving the immensely racist rednecks towards Django were, because Django was on a gunslinging revenge anyway and could handle it. 

Don't think there was ever an r&b song during whippings anyway.. The flashbacks of whippings had sad music from what I recall. There was rap during the walk to candyland and that epic shootout

R&B/Pop whatever. I feel that any song is too much for a scene like that.

I liked how 12 Years a Slave handled it.

But then again Django isn't really a movie about slavery, more an action/adventure set in a slavery setting.

2 hours ago, theedge00 said:

Nah, I meant using music which contrasts a scene.

But I mean, Tarantino is who made that big...aka Reservoir Dogs torture scene. 

At least that was the first time I saw such a contrast.. Then Pulp Fiction surfer music leaving a hit or whatever.  Mild genius indeed

2 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

I mean yeah, but not in a broad way. we were talking about the use of modern R&B in a movie set 150 years ago.

Okay, I gotchu dawg. 

19 minutes ago, Nshesaid said:

But I mean, Tarantino is who made that big...aka Reservoir Dogs torture scene. 

At least that was the first time I saw such a contrast.. Then Pulp Fiction surfer music leaving a hit or whatever.  Mild genius indeed

Im not so sure man. I think the most well known example of that is in Kubrick's Clockwork Orange. You know, when the guy sings Singing in the Rain, while beating the shit out of that couple.

24 minutes ago, theedge00 said:

Okay, I gotchu dawg. 

Im not so sure man. I think the most well known example of that is in Kubrick's Clockwork Orange. You know, when the guy sings Singing in the Rain, while beating the shit out of that couple.

One of the well known classics I have not yet seen so, not aware of that scene.

7 hours ago, theedge00 said:

The rape depicted isn't too graphic from what I can remember.

Main character is a bit creepy yes lol.

Yeah but idk what it is I just absolutely hate rape on any level in film, genuinely makes me uncomfortable and annoyed. I just always think why? Why is this in the film? Why write this in here?

I can handle just about any other twisted stuff in movies. Cannibals eating ppl in green inferno? Meh. 

Except dogs/animal deaths too.. Those get me too