What percentage of TMTATS do you think is actually live?

Ghost

What percentage of The Mark, Tom and Travis Show is actually live?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What percentage of The Mark, Tom and Travis Show is actually live?

• 100 %
    • 75 %
    • 50 %
    • 25 %

Title says it all. It's pretty well known .although it hasn't ben admitted by the band, I think- that The Mark, Tom and Travis Show was pretty much doctored in studio in order to be released, but... how much? and in which parts?

EDIT: I don't consider the mixing and mastering. I'm talking about extra recordings in studio.

Hard to say, I know it's seen as common knowledge that it was doctored up in the studio and everything, but their live show WAS pretty on point during that era. It's easy to forget since Tom became sloppy then terrible not too long after that, but when compared to stuff like the Big Day Out 2000 videos, it's not too insanely polished.

15 minutes ago, tom18222 said:

travis's drums and the between song banter. thats it.

Yup, Travis actually confirmed this in an interview years ago, he said everything but the drums and banter had to pretty much be rerecorded.  Wish I could find that interview again.

Now that you say it, I think I remember that interview too.

I was guessing that the record could be 75% of the actual show or selection of songs. But my impression was more like it was all faked. I mean, not a real whole show (well, this should be on the booklet), but real live recordings (separated tracks or instruments), audience, and done all in different shows of that tour. Then, selected the best performances, sequence them, mixing the recorded live tracks, adding the audience recording and the banter in between on the mix, adding some overdubbing when needed, and then mastering.

2 hours ago, M!ke said:

Yup, Travis actually confirmed this in an interview years ago, he said everything but the drums and banter had to pretty much be rerecorded.  Wish I could find that interview again.

I remember seeing that as well, along with some comment about how in the middle of songs, Mark would start jumping on his bass or something.

19 minutes ago, Clarke said:

But I will say this, they sounded damn good around that time. 

It shocks me when I watch that video and then listen to what Tom sounds like right now. It's like night and day.

I still can't believe he used to sound like that.

• Like 1

there's a bootleg available of one of the performances they recorded for TMT&TS. surprisingly, a lot of it doesn't sound wildly different than the album. if i had to say what percentage is actually live, i'd say 75%. they probably re-recorded a few vocal takes and guitar/bass parts, but not many. and that's going off the recording

• Like 6

Im pretty sure theres audio recordings of both shows. Ive never listened to them though. Maybe someone will send them to me O0

They sounded REALLY good in 99/00. (That 7.25.2000 performance might be my favorite.) 

The album sounds amazing so I cant complain it was heavily edited. They didnt NEED it, but it was probably for the best

• Like 1

I want to see that Travis interview now where he says it was all pretty much fake. I've never seen it. Super interesting.

Doctored or not, I still absolutely love the sound of the album so I don't even care.

What would be boring now would be a new live album of their current set, also fixed in the studio. The way they play songs live now, it wouldn't be interesting enough to make a live album out of, with all the backing tracks, and playing the songs exactly the same tempo as the recordings, etc... I think a live album today would be stupid. HOWEVER I would totally love to get a live DVD of some sort.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dylan_ said:

It shocks me when I watch that video and then listen to what Tom sounds like right now. It's like night and day.

I still can't believe he used to sound like that.

Hell yea, I've been searching for this video. I recorded this when it came out, it was actually before they released the video for atst. I had seen what's my age again, but that was all I knew of blink. I fell in love with them from this performance, and I remember liking this sound better than the recorded version